Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS forms question - "current INS status"?

AOS forms question - "current INS status"?

Old May 19th 2003, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

tcylinder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS forms question - "current INS status"?

We are K1 -already married -filing for AOS.

this came up on two of the forms.

On the I-485 part one the field reads "current INS status". The next field reads "expires on (month/day/year).

http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/...iles/i-485.pdf

For "current INS status" should we write 'K1' or 'conditional permanent resident' and then put the expiration date of the K1 in the "expires on field"? My confusion is that I'm not positive what the INS status is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the I-765 EAD form question 15 asks for "Current Immigration Status (Visitor, Student, etc.)".

http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/...iles/i-765.pdf

Again, not sure how to answer.

thanks john
Old May 19th 2003, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

*BoundsTS is a jewel in the rough*BoundsTS is a jewel in the rough*BoundsTS is a jewel in the rough*BoundsTS is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: AOS forms question - "current INS status"?

Hi,

Yea that's what I would do, the current status would be K1 Visa holder (both forms).
The date it expires, whenever your K1 expires.

Ally.
Old May 19th 2003, 5:20 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by tcylinder

On the I-485 part one the field reads "current INS status". The next field reads "expires on (month/day/year).

For "current INS status" should we write 'K1' or 'conditional permanent resident' and then put the expiration date of the K1 in the "expires on field"? My confusion is that I'm not positive what the INS status is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the I-765 EAD form question 15 asks for "Current Immigration Status (Visitor, Student, etc.)".

thanks john
Your current immigration status is k1. You become a conditional permanent resident on the date indicated on your I-551 stamp which will be placed in your passport ie . after you are approved. Same for the EAD form.
Old May 19th 2003, 5:53 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

thanks john
John, the current status is K-1, for both the I-485 and the I-765. As for the "expires on" block on the I-485, the" INS/BCIS status" of being a K-1 (not the K-1 "visa" itself) expires 90 days after entry with K-1 status. You should be able to find the date the K-1 status expires listed on the I-94 card.

Good luck.

Regards,
Matthew Udall
Attorney
http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/fiancee.htm

Last edited by Matthew Udall; May 19th 2003 at 5:56 pm.
Old May 19th 2003, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Matthew Udall
John, the current status is K-1, for both the I-485 and the I-765. As for the "expires on" block on the I-485, the" INS/BCIS status" of being a K-1 (not the K-1 "visa" itself) expires 90 days after entry with K-1 status. You should be able to find the date the K-1 status expires listed on the I-94 card.

Good luck.

Regards,
Matthew Udall
Attorney
http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/fiancee.htm
thanks matt and ranjini. do either of you have any advice with regards to the medical exam and form i-693? Not sure if we need to supply a new medical or not with our AOS applications.
Old May 19th 2003, 11:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You did not mention in your other post that you were a K-1 recipient. As such you do not require a new medical at the time of filing for AOS in New York City or elsewhere for that matter. You will require a new medical and/or supplemental form I-693 at the time of the interview in approximately 2 years. The BCIS paperwork, if you ordered it by mail, clearly states that K-1 recipients do not require a medical.

As for the issue of checks, if you were to go to:

http://www.kamya.com/aos/newyork.html#NYC

You will see that post number #19 under NYC filed their paperwork with checks in March of 2003 and had no problem with the NYC BCIS.

When we filed in NYC we put "K-1 recipient" and the dates handwritten under the I-94 in my husband's passport for the I-485 and for the I-765 we put "pending AOS" as we felt that being a K-1 was not a basis for the approval of the I-765 but that AOS was. I realize that this differs from what Mr. Udall has said to put and I'm only reporting what we did during our two filings for EAD and NOT attempting to confuse you.

Post corrected for Freudian Slip and Petticoat

Hope this helps you.

Rete
Old May 20th 2003, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Rete
You did not mention in your other post that you were a K-1 recipient. As such you do not require a new medical at the time of filing for AOS in New York City or elsewhere for that matter. You will require a new medical and/or supplemental form I-693 at the time of the interview in approximately 2 years. The BCIS paperwork, if you ordered it by mail, clearly states that K-1 recipients do not require a medical.

As for the issue of checks, if you were to go to:

http://www.kamya.com/aos/newyork.html#NYC

You will see that post number #19 under NYC filed their paperwork with checks in March of 2003 and had no problem with the NYC BCIS.

When we filed in NYC we put "K-1 recipient" and the dates handwritten under the I-94 in my husband's passport for the I-485 and for the I-765 we put "pending AOS" as we felt that being a K-1 was not a basis for the approval of the I-765 but that AOS was. I realize that this differs from what Mr. Udall has said to put and I'm only reporting what we did during our two filings for EAD and attempting to confuse you.

Hope this helps you.

Rete
You're right, I did forget to mention that I was K1 in that last post.
Another mistake of fatigue made after 6 hours of filling out forms and collecting evidence. I did check the kamya webpage, and all the others in your signature, but this again was after 6 hours of preparing all of the forms and evidence. I suppose this is why I missed the #19 personal check NY success story. I didn't even look at the I-693 that day which probably explains me missing the clear instructions that a K1 doesn't need a medical.
Thanks for your help with these overlooked issues.

Purchased the money orders this morning and read your reply afterwards. Still feel more confident using money orders despite that one couple's success with check.

Good advice about stating "pending AOS" for the I-765. I'm going to put a yellow post-it note on the I-131 AP form stating "pending AOS" too. I'm thinking this might help with the problem I read about where applicants were getting denied because the think tank of clerks and their fragmented processing system were trying to process the AP forms before the I-485 AOS forms were entered into the system even though they are sent in together.

I'm planning on sending the package out tomorrow via priority mail - certified/return receipt. I made out 4 separate money orders, one for $50 for the fingerprinting fee which I'll attach to the $255 money order for the I-485, one for $110.00 for the I-131 AP application, and one for $120.00 for the I-765 EAD application.

If you see any mistakes or anything else I may have overlooked, I'd sure appreciate it if you'de let me know.

thanks,

John
Old May 20th 2003, 2:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Purchased the money orders this morning and read your reply afterwards. Still feel more confident using money orders despite that one couple's success with check.

overlooked, I'd sure appreciate it if you'de let me know.

thanks,

John
Glad you went with the money orders, John. You will feel much more confident having done so And if there is ever a way to feel confident when dealing with this subject matter, take it and hold it tight.

With the "pending AOS" statement, why not cover all your bases and put "K-1 - pending AOS". Again, this would be a confidence builder.

The only advice I could give on assembling your package is to treat each petition/application as a separate entity. Check first, form, and attachments in the order called for on the form. If you have binder clips, I would use them to clip each form together.

Good Luck

Rete