AOS Filing Questions

Old Apr 1st 2002, 10:35 pm
Denis Barlow

Default AOS Filing Questions

I'm putting together my package for AOS and I'm pretty happy with most things, there
are just a couple of points I'd appreciate advice on:-

In the instructions for the I-485 under 'Evidence of status' it says to submit a copy
of your I-94 but it also says under 'Evidence of eligibility' to submit a copy of
your marriage certificate, a copy of your approval notice and your form I-94. Does
that mean you remove the I-94 from your passport and include it with the other
documentation?

As for marriage certificate, when we got married we were given by the priest our
marriage license, at the bottom it has a section which says 'Record of Marriage' and
is the actual document that was signed by everybody on the day. Is a copy of this
document what they want or do I need to get another document from somewhere?

Thanks

Denis

Old Apr 3rd 2002, 4:36 am
Denis Barlow

Default Another try - AOS Filing Questions

I'm putting together my package for AOS and I'm pretty happy with most things, there
are just a couple of points I'd appreciate advice on:-

In the instructions for the I-485 under 'Evidence of status' it says to submit a
copy of your I-94 but it also says under 'Evidence of eligibility' to submit a copy
of your marriage certificate, a copy of your approval notice and your form I-94.
Does that mean you remove the I-94 from your passport and include it with the other
documentation?

As for marriage certificate, when we got married we were given by the priest our
marriage license, at the bottom it has a section which says 'Record of Marriage' and
is the actual document that was signed by everybody on the day. Is a copy of this
document what they want or do I need to get another document from somewhere?

Thanks

Denis

Old Apr 3rd 2002, 4:36 am
Mark Lambert

Default Re: Another try - AOS Filing Questions

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > I'm putting together my package for AOS and I'm pretty happy with most things,
    > there are just a couple of points I'd appreciate advice on:-
    >
    > In the instructions for the I-485 under 'Evidence of status' it says to submit a
    > copy of your I-94 but it also says under 'Evidence of eligibility' to submit a
    > copy of your marriage certificate, a copy of your approval notice and your form
    > I-94. Does that mean you remove the I-94 from your passport and include it with
    > the other documentation?
    >
Hi there.

all I can say is photocopies. LOTS of photocopies. INS these days let you file copies
at the begining of hte process. Original docco will only be *required* on AOS
interview day.

copy your passport. Also the page the I-94 is stapled to. both sides of the I-
94. (remove and restaple after) copy ALL the documentation you do not wish to hand
over permanantly. Your marriage certificate. Your ID's. and INS do NOT have copy
facilities on hand, so
(a) check you have copied everything, and
(b) cruise past the INS office ahead of your filing day and identify likely places
you can do an emergency copy on the day (I had to race out and locate a Staples
store 2 blocks over on my filing day, caused mucho panic!)

> As for marriage certificate, when we got married we were given by the priest our
    > marriage license, at the bottom it has a section which says 'Record of Marriage'
    > and is the actual document that was signed by everybody on the day. Is a copy of
    > this document what they want or do I need to get another document from somewhere?
    >
Hmmm, not sure on that one as we had a civil ceremony and the court document is all
we had. to be doubly sure in your case, I'd go to your county courthouse and ask for
a copy of the marriage record... the church will have been required to lodge a record
with the county. Then tender copies of BOTH forms.

Of course, Your Milage May Vary.

> Thanks
    >
    > Denis

--
;;; Halley (Halley's Comment)

Old Apr 3rd 2002, 12:35 pm
Dawn

"Denis Barlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm putting together my package for AOS and I'm pretty happy with most things,
    > there are just a couple of points I'd appreciate advice on:-
    >
    > In the instructions for the I-485 under 'Evidence of status' it says to submit a
    > copy of your I-94 but it also says under 'Evidence of eligibility' to submit a
    > copy of your marriage certificate, a copy of your approval notice and your form
    > I-94. Does that mean you remove the I-94 from your passport and include it with
    > the other documentation?

My husband's wasn't stapled to his visa; they just left it loose, so it was easy to
copy. I'd just copy it as it, since the copy will show it is in the passport.

> As for marriage certificate, when we got married we were given by the priest our
    > marriage license, at the bottom it has a section which says 'Record of Marriage'
    > and is the actual document that was signed by everybody on the day. Is a copy of
    > this document what they want or do I need to get another document from somewhere?

You'll need to obtain a registered copy of the license, which you get from the
courthouse in the county where you married. The bit the priest gives you will not be
acceptable, since it's not an official registered copy. You can get a copy, usually
for a small fee, from the county court clerk's office. It's not a bad idea to get 2
copies, just to be on the safe side.

Dawn

Old Apr 3rd 2002, 9:35 pm
Queen

I unstapled mine, with one of those staple removers, and made copies (so I could get
front and back of I-94) and then I restapled it back

Mark Lambert <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] news.com>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > > I'm putting together my package for AOS and I'm pretty happy with most things,
    > > there are just a couple of points I'd appreciate advice on:-
    > >
    > > In the instructions for the I-485 under 'Evidence of status' it says to submit a
    > > copy of your I-94 but it also says under 'Evidence of eligibility' to submit a
    > > copy of your marriage certificate, a copy of your approval notice and your form
    > > I-94. Does that mean you remove the I-94 from your passport and include it with
    > > the other documentation?
    > >
    > Hi there.
    >
    > all I can say is photocopies. LOTS of photocopies. INS these days let you file
    > copies at the begining of hte process. Original docco will only be *required* on
    > AOS interview day.
    >
    > copy your passport. Also the page the I-94 is stapled to. both sides of the I-
    > 94. (remove and restaple after) copy ALL the documentation you do not wish to hand
    > over permanantly. Your marriage certificate. Your ID's. and INS do NOT have
    > copy facilities on hand, so
    > (a) check you have copied everything, and
    > (b) cruise past the INS office ahead of your filing day and identify likely places
    > you can do an emergency copy on the day (I had to race out and locate a Staples
    > store 2 blocks over on my filing day, caused mucho panic!)
    >
    > > As for marriage certificate, when we got married we were given by the priest our
    > > marriage license, at the bottom it has a section which says 'Record of Marriage'
    > > and is the actual document that was signed by everybody on the day. Is a copy of
    > > this document what they want or do I need to get another document from somewhere?
    > >
    > Hmmm, not sure on that one as we had a civil ceremony and the court document is all
    > we had. to be doubly sure in your case, I'd go to your county courthouse and ask
    > for a copy of the marriage record... the church will have been required to lodge a
    > record with the county. Then tender copies of BOTH forms.
    >
    > Of course, Your Milage May Vary.
    >
    >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Denis

Old Apr 4th 2002, 5:05 am
Denis Barlow

Thanks everybody, looks like I'm off to the county courthouse tomorrow!!

One last question, is the signature form necessary and where do I get it?

Thanks again

Denis
--

Denis

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines