Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS & EAD for Greer Office

AOS & EAD for Greer Office

Old Mar 30th 2004, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

RJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really nice
Default AOS & EAD for Greer Office

My wife and I married in 2003, and got an AOS letter saying to wait 30 months and see what happens (am paraphrasing here).

This seems a very long time, especially compared to Charlotte (NC) but of course my wife works for the state so put in context with that it probably will take until 2005/6.

With that in mind, should we begin to file for citizenship of prospective Grandchildren now, or maybe just move to Wyoming for a while ? Am I being just a wee bit cynical ?

Does anyone have a timeline which details their AOS process with the Greer Office ? I would be interested to know how things are progressing for someone in a similar position.

Richard

P.S. On the positive side, at least we'll be here for another Charleston Battery Season - GO BATTERY !
Old Mar 30th 2004, 11:25 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS & EAD for Greer Office

I can't speak specifically to the Greer office, but I waited almost 33 months between the time I submitted my AoS and my interview. This was at the Louisville, KY office. Hope this helps.

Ian (and Sheila)

---------------------------------------------------
Timeline:

Mailed I-129F: November 28, 1997
K-1 interview in Montreal: March 27, 1998
Married Sheila: May 23, 1998
Filed for AoS: June 15, 1998
AoS interview: February 20, 2001
Received PR status: March 4, 2001
Applied for Citizenship: December 8, 2003
NoA: Priority date - December 11, 2003
Fingerprinted: January 20, 2004
Citizenship Interview: May 5, 2004

Originally posted by RJHayes000
My wife and I married in 2003, and got an AOS letter saying to wait 30 months and see what happens (am paraphrasing here).

This seems a very long time, especially compared to Charlotte (NC) but of course my wife works for the state so put in context with that it probably will take until 2005/6.

With that in mind, should we begin to file for citizenship of prospective Grandchildren now, or maybe just move to Wyoming for a while ? Am I being just a wee bit cynical ?

Does anyone have a timeline which details their AOS process with the Greer Office ? I would be interested to know how things are progressing for someone in a similar position.

Richard

P.S. On the positive side, at least we'll be here for another Charleston Battery Season - GO BATTERY !
Old Mar 30th 2004, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

tara is an unknown quantity at this point

Richard

We documented our Greer experiences here
http://www.skyweb.net/~rlls/interview/aosint_3.html#SC
and here.
http://www.kamya.com/aos/

Under name Debabrata

Best wishes,
Old Mar 30th 2004, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Richard

The Greer office...the bain of my existence. I filed all my AOS papers there after i got married in Dec.2002. I have heard nothing from them regarding the AOS, except that standard letter confirming 36 months wait, when i wrote to ask about the waiting times. Did they send back to you your letter and the envelope you sent it in too? They did mine.

I have done a bit of research about the INS or whatever it is called today, in SC. Did you know there are only three members of staff who work part-time to do ALL the AOS's for family and business applications? True...a disgruntled employee at the Greer office told me.
If you look at the USCIS website to see what date they are processing now, with a little bit of maths i calculated i will wait a further 5.7 years. Yes almost SIX years. This has reached the stage of lunacy, so I wrote to Senator Lindsey Graham who very nicely wrote back and said he would look into things for me. Whether it will help, I don't know, but it is SOMETHING!

It seems to me Greer is one of the smallest, underfunded and crap offices in the whole country...so get used to paying for a new EAD and AP every year.

IM me if you like, for a little solidarity talk.

Cheers-Muswell Hill
Old Mar 30th 2004, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

imen is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh my God! this is scary, I was planning on going down there tomorrow to inquire on how should I file AOS for my husband since he is here on a K3 visa and the I-130 is still pending and it will be for a long time! Is it a crowded office, would you know?
Thanks

imen
Old Mar 31st 2004, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

RJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really nice

Originally posted by imen
Oh my God! this is scary, I was planning on going down there tomorrow to inquire on how should I file AOS for my husband since he is here on a K3 visa and the I-130 is still pending and it will be for a long time! Is it a crowded office, would you know?
Thanks

imen

Alas, we can't answer that question, as we use the Charleston Office. Two points on the Charleston Office however -

1) I went there to get some EAD & Adv. Parole forms last week. Arrived 10 minutes before office opened, but was at the back of a queue of 15 people. I would suggest you get there early if you're going there. Or bring a very big book to read.

2) Our nearest Office is Charleston. Charleston is supposed to be the main office for SC, from what I understand. Yet, when we send forms to USCIS (or whatever they are called this week) they have to go to Greer.

Greer then sends things back to Charleston, who then send them to us a week later. Not really sure why this happens, although at the risk of repeating myself, my wife works for local Government so nothing surprises us these days.

P.S. Muswell Hill - do you mind keeping in touch with us ? That way we can all be in the loop regarding USCIS in SC.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

That is, we collect forms from the Charleston Office, as it is nearest to us.

But, Greer deals with our case / paperwork.

Which is why I put Greer for the topic thread when I started this thread. I don't have ADD, honest.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

imen is an unknown quantity at this point

I just wanted to update you all, I went last week to the Greer office around 1:30PM and it was packed, and the lady said that she would close the door at 2PM, so I asked for a phone number but of course there is none. So I went back the next morning at 7:45am and there were only two people before me, so at 8:30 I was out. Only so that you know if someone is in the same situation, the lady said that yes we could file AOS while I-130 was pending even though when I called that 1-800 number, they said no. She said I have to make sure to put a copy of the AOS of the pending I-130, I'm guessing that they would transfer the file over!
Old Apr 7th 2004, 10:31 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Muswell Hill
It seems to me Greer is one of the smallest, underfunded and crap offices in the whole country...so get used to paying for a new EAD and AP every year.
Sorry to hear of your bad experience with the Greer office. I did an AOS case through that office a while ago, and our experience (my client and I) was completely different. The staff at the Greer office were very friendly and answered all of my K-1/AOS filing questions prior to my filing the AOS. The AOS was approved in slightly over 1 year, and getting advanced parole and EAD renewal was no problem whatsoever (and back then, Greer was one of those quirky offices that sent back my $25.00 fingerprinting fee since the international spouse entered with a K-1 visa…. The fingerprinting fee was only $25.00 back then).

Heck, within the past month, Greer even helped out when the client's I-751 filing receipt became tardy in arriving from the TSC. They (Greer) were able to confirm for us that they (the TSC) did have the I-751 (of course, I already knew that as I had the postal delivery confirmation receipt, the cancelled check I used to pay the I-751 filing fee and my bank statement showing that check cleared my bank) and that the TSC had not yet sent out the I-751 filing receipt (so we did not need to keep worrying that it had not yet arrived).

Good luck.

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Apr 8th 2004 at 1:11 am.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Johan is an unknown quantity at this point

I am making use of the Charleston SC office. We had to file the AOS through the Greer office. But my experiences were relatively positive.

The AP took less than one month to arrive, and my EAD took around 2 months.

The biggest shock came 2 weeks before I got my EAD appointment letter. I got 2 letters. One for finger printing and one for the AOS interview 2 weeks after the finger print appointment. I was really happy about that.

The AOS interview was very easy. The woman interviewing us told us that our case were approved. She then started the process to order our Conditional green card. Then she said "Oh no...". I almost freaked. Apparently my FBI background check did not come back, and that she cannot continue the greencard application process until she got the background check back. She said it can take weeks or months.
So now, 3 months later I am still waiting.

Last edited by Johan; Apr 8th 2004 at 12:28 pm.