AOS Cover Letter

Old Jul 7th 2006, 4:05 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

csf will become famous soon enough
Default AOS Cover Letter

Hi,

What info. should the cover letter contain? Is there anything specific that I need to write? i.e. NEW APPLICATION. Also, what should I use to mail my AOS application? One huge envelope with a clip holding everything in place?

Advice much appreciated

Thanks.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AOS Cover Letter

Originally Posted by csf
Hi,

What info. should the cover letter contain? Is there anything specific that I need to write? i.e. NEW APPLICATION. Also, what should I use to mail my AOS application? One huge envelope with a clip holding everything in place?

Advice much appreciated

Thanks.
I don't think a cover letter is really needed. As I mentioned elsewhere I still use the old Los Angeles filing checklist.

I DO recommend you send it in an envelope. I don't think the Postal Service or the overnight couriers will take it otherwise.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 5:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csf
Hi,

Advice much appreciated

Thanks.
Hi csf,

I wrote a cover letter, which basically just listed all the items that were in the envelope. Kind of like a checklist.

I put each application package (I-485, I-765 and I-131) in separate envelopes (using a binder clip to hold all the pages together), then put those 3 in one large envelope, and mailed it certified mail, return receipt requested.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 7th 2006, 7:54 pm
Brenda Ballard

HI
We did the same thing as Rene did.....I listed all the contents inside
the envelope and put a paper clip on them ......and mailed them at the
postofffice

Old Jul 7th 2006, 8:09 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all. Rene, as always great advice! One last (possibly daft) question, did you label each of the envelopes with the form name? What did you label the main envelope with? Obviously the address!, but did you title it with anything specific? i.e. AOS APPLICATION.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 8:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csf
Thanks all. Rene, as always great advice! One last (possibly daft) question, did you label each of the envelopes with the form name? What did you label the main envelope with? Obviously the address!, but did you title it with anything specific? i.e. AOS APPLICATION.
LOL..it's almost as if you know me! Yes, I labeled each individual envelope with what it was (I-485 Application for Adjust of Status to Permanent Resident, I-765 Application for Work Authorization, I-131 Application for Advance Parole). Then, on the big main envelope, I labeled it (down in the lower left corner) "AOS Application". As you can see, I'm annoyingly detail-oriented. LOL I'm sure others have not done this and have been approved with no problem.

Rene
Old Jul 7th 2006, 8:27 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
LOL..it's almost as if you know me! Yes, I labeled each individual envelope with what it was (I-485 Application for Adjust of Status to Permanent Resident, I-765 Application for Work Authorization, I-131 Application for Advance Parole). Then, on the big main envelope, I labeled it (down in the lower left corner) "AOS Application". As you can see, I'm annoyingly detail-oriented. LOL I'm sure others have not done this and have been approved with no problem.

Rene
Great minds think alike lol I am equally detail-orientated which is probably why I am still working on this after 4 years of marriage lol
Old Jul 7th 2006, 8:38 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

I would also recommend Certified Mail. That way, you get a return receipt to keep as proof of mailing.

Kate.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 10:26 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
If your sending copies (birth certificate, marraige certificate etc) you should include a statement that you confirm the copied documents are genuine copies of the original. An immigration official gave my wife and I a cover sheet that stated this. I hadn't seen this document online, and nobody else mentioned sending one - so I am unsure if it is important or not. He gave it to me and we signed it and included it with the application. I put all my documents in a binder, with small post-it tags attached to each compilation of forms detailing each forms number.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, they get processed at a handling centre and keyed in to a computer. These guys handle hundreds and I'm sure have seen forms submitted in all ways possible. I don't think they will reject your application based on presentation, but this is USCIS, so who knows. I don't recommend sticking a $100 bill as a cover letter, LOL

Certified mail is a good idea, not as essential if you submit copies of everything. We sent ours through work using a courier. Its very easy to confirm they are in receipt and are processing your application - less than a week after receipt, my check for $585 had been cashed - proof enough for me :-)

Originally Posted by csf
Hi,

Advice much appreciated

Thanks.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 1:29 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
Hi,
If your sending copies (birth certificate, marraige certificate etc) you should include a statement that you confirm the copied documents are genuine copies of the original. An immigration official gave my wife and I a cover sheet that stated this. I hadn't seen this document online, and nobody else mentioned sending one - so I am unsure if it is important or not. He gave it to me and we signed it and included it with the application. I put all my documents in a binder, with small post-it tags attached to each compilation of forms detailing each forms number.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, they get processed at a handling centre and keyed in to a computer. These guys handle hundreds and I'm sure have seen forms submitted in all ways possible. I don't think they will reject your application based on presentation, but this is USCIS, so who knows. I don't recommend sticking a $100 bill as a cover letter, LOL
Hi:

A long time ago, such certification was required but it was eliminated. I just looked in my desk and I have my old certification stamp that had my address from 20 years ago!

I'm kind of laughing at this string -- as you note, CIS will organize the file THEIR way. All those fancy labeled envelopes will get tossed, the binder's trashed, etc etc. As I mentioned, I use the old Los Angeles District Checklist which the former INS developed for use by the bar -- I find it a good guideline.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 3:39 am
Whimsical in the brainpan

Elenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
I'm kind of laughing at this string -- as you note, CIS will organize the file THEIR way. All those fancy labeled envelopes will get tossed, the binder's trashed, etc etc.
Yeah, see, this is why I just filled out all my forms, put them one after the other (with a post-it tab with the form number/document name on it), attached them with a clip, no cover letter, and shipped them off that way. The only reason I put the tab on there was so that *I* knew I had it all in the package. I figured they'd do whatever they needed to do with it at the other end.

Since this wasn't like the visa application (which did require letters of intent and what not), I just sent in the forms without an explanatory letter. I figured they'd just toss it once it needed to get sorted anyway.

*shrug*
Old Jul 8th 2006, 11:59 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csf
What info. should the cover letter contain?
I didn't use a cover letter. I didn't color code the forms. I didn't put little tabs on things and organize the information in any way at all other than to keep the applications separate from each other - and I used staples!

Regardless of what anyone else has done, there is no obligation to put things together in a specific way, so it doesn't really matter at all and you're creating a problem for yourself where none currently exists.

Now, if it helps you sleep better and night... go ahead and knock yourself out. But from USCIS' standpoint, it makes no difference whatsoever.

Ian