Reload this Page >

AOS in Charleston - follow up

AOS in Charleston - follow up

Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

khabibiuf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS in Charleston - follow up

Hi All,

My wife had her AOS interview in Charleston at the end of February. At that time the DOA had requested additional documentation. We sent in the additional documentation which they received March 1. We hadn't received any follow up from USCIS since then so we went to the office today to check status. We wanted to talk with the officer who took our interview - but they didn't allow this (against their policy - go figure).

We did ask the officer at the window for status and he said that they mailed the package to Atlanta on March 4th... and then the package was mailed to Texas on March 21st (today). The officer said they mailed it to Atlanta to get double approval (not sure if this is the exact wording he used).

Does this make sense? Why would they mail it to Atlanta and then to Texas?
Is Texas where the permanent resident cards are mailed from?

Also... the guy was very cryptic... he said that we should be receiving "something" in the near future. Initially he didn't say what this "something" was ... which scared the crap out of us... but then I think we got the word "approved" out of him eventuallly.

Just wanting to get some opinions as to whether this is how the approval process goes.

Thanks!
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: AOS in Charleston - follow up

I also had another question regarding this...

Currently my wife's EAD card is expired. So she cannot work and in our state she cannot renew her driver license (South Carolina) without an EAD card for the status she is in (expired K3 visa).

Since I'm hearing different stories about how long it takes for stamp/green card after the AOS interview I was wondering whether we should go ahead and apply for renewing her EAD card. I know it'll be extra $$$ but it'll atleast allow her to renew her license and drive. I had told the officer that my wife was going to apply for renewal EAD - but he said she can't do that. This doesn't make sense to me. Since she doesn't have her green card and she doesn't even have the approval stamp I would think she could still apply for EAD, right?
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 8:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by khabibiuf
Hi All,

Is Texas where the permanent resident cards are mailed from?

Thanks!

Yes it is.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 8:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I also had another question regarding this...

Currently my wife's EAD card is expired. So she cannot work and in our state she cannot renew her driver license (South Carolina) without an EAD card for the status she is in (expired K3 visa).

Since I'm hearing different stories about how long it takes for stamp/green card after the AOS interview I was wondering whether we should go ahead and apply for renewing her EAD card. I know it'll be extra $$$ but it'll atleast allow her to renew her license and drive. I had told the officer that my wife was going to apply for renewal EAD - but he said she can't do that. This doesn't make sense to me. Since she doesn't have her green card and she doesn't even have the approval stamp I would think she could still apply for EAD, right?

Why didn't you ask for the I-551 stamp instead?

She can't apply for an EAD if she is a PR ... guess that is what he was telling you.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete

She can't apply for an EAD if she is a PR ... guess that is what he was telling you.
We asked the guy if we could get the stamp. The officer said that he would have to talk with the person who did our interview. He said that person was busy.... and furthermore he said that it is not their policy to let people talk with him unless they have an appointment letter. I told him I had infopass - but this wasn't enough to talk with him. This seemed so unfair. If she was approved why couldn't he stamp the dam passport.

My wife insisted that she needed the stamp cuz she needs to get her DL renewed etc... He said we just have to wait until we get something in the mail. He wasn't very nice in this regard.

It's funny how some of the people who work at these offices behave. They act like they are doing u a big favor, where in fact my taxes and the immigration fees I've paid these past 3 years are paying his salary! So frustrating but what can we do.

I guess we'll wait another month and go back.

Is there a minimum amount of time we have to wait before we can legally request a status for her case? I don't want to get back next month and have him tell us the same thing.

Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete

I did have another question regarding this... Let's say my wife gets her PR card without ever getting the stamp. Is this fine? Or will she need to go back and get her stamp?

Thanks
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Ndori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to all

We asked the guy if we could get the stamp. The officer said that he would have to talk with the person who did our interview. He said that person was busy.... and furthermore he said that it is not their policy to let people talk with him unless they have an appointment letter. I told him I had infopass - but this wasn't enough to talk with him. This seemed so unfair. If she was approved why couldn't he stamp the dam passport.

My wife insisted that she needed the stamp cuz she needs to get her DL renewed etc... He said we just have to wait until we get something in the mail. He wasn't very nice in this regard.

It's funny how some of the people who work at these offices behave. They act like they are doing u a big favor, where in fact my taxes and the immigration fees I've paid these past 3 years are paying his salary! So frustrating but what can we do.

I guess we'll wait another month and go back.

Is there a minimum amount of time we have to wait before we can legally request a status for her case? I don't want to get back next month and have him tell us the same thing.

Thanks for your help.
Wow I thought unpleasantness was the solely custom fashion of the NYC office....

It is so disgusting to be given the run around by somebody who makes less than you because they are less educated, just because they hold the door to your PR!

But Karma does exist as it was reminded to me by a friend who a couple of years after being given the run around by a DAO in NYC had to face the same DAO only this time, my friend was the Financial Services Manager of the Bank and the DAO was in a bad need for a loan she did not really qualify for.....