Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS approved today in Newark

AOS approved today in Newark

Old Feb 28th 2006, 8:06 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default AOS approved today in Newark

Our interview was at 8:30 this morning and we arrived at the Broad St office at about 7:50 - after about half an hour in line outside we got in and up to the 13th floor.

The waiting room seemed pretty busy but we were only about the 5th people to get called in while we were waiting so it was pretty quick.

I was pretty nervous but we had plenty of evidence. It seemed at first that she may not have really looked deeply into our file as she looked at our driving licences and saw that I had a change of address label on mine whereas my wife just had our current address - this was because when my wife changed the address she also got her name changed so got a new card.

We were asked how we met etc. then she asked me why I had asked my wife to marry me. This threw me off a bit and I think I got a bit flustered because I just couldn't think of a simple answer and I eventually just said that I couldn't think of a simple reason and it was just a natural progression and was just "right". We then talked about how I proposed (she didn't ask about that but she was friendly and it seemed right to just chat about stuff like that). Anyway, she then asked about the wedding and we pulled out an album of our 400 odd proofs from the photographer which she looked through and after that she said she was approving me.

She asked us for evidence we wanted to put in the file so we gave her a variety of things including copies of photos, a copy of a mortgage statement, bills, insurance documents. Interestingly she wanted my latest pay stub which I wasn't expecting (my wife easily earns enough for the affadavit of support) but I'm glad I threw it in the folder at the last minute.

After she said she was approving us she said she had to ask us some standard questions, and proceeded to test us on whether we knew where the other was born, date of birth, parents names (nearly messed up on that one because I kept thinking of her stepmother), wedding date, and wedding location.

She then gave us advice on what happens next (getting the card, removing conditions in 2 years - including the sort of evidence to include and how to present it i.e. circling the mortgage payment on a copy of a joint bank account statement - I think she was telling us this so we would have less chance to be called in for interview at that time), and stamped my passport.

Time for a few drinks!!!

EDIT: forgot to add we were out of the building by 9:15am
Old Feb 28th 2006, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

curiousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud of
Default Re: AOS approved today in Newark

Congratulations!
How come during our AOS our officer didnt take any evidence to put in our file? Did he forget or something?
Old Feb 28th 2006, 8:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations! Did you ask for or receive the stamp in your passport?

BTW that's not the first time I've heard of the officer asking for the alien's proof of employment, even though not listed on the I-864. But in cases where the alien didn't bring proof of employment, it wasn't an obstacle to approval.

Rene
Old Feb 28th 2006, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

campmcgu is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by neil
Our interview was at 8:30 this morning and we arrived at the Broad St office at about 7:50 - after about half an hour in line outside we got in and up to the 13th floor.

The waiting room seemed pretty busy but we were only about the 5th people to get called in while we were waiting so it was pretty quick.

I was pretty nervous but we had plenty of evidence. It seemed at first that she may not have really looked deeply into our file as she looked at our driving licences and saw that I had a change of address label on mine whereas my wife just had our current address - this was because when my wife changed the address she also got her name changed so got a new card.

We were asked how we met etc. then she asked me why I had asked my wife to marry me. This threw me off a bit and I think I got a bit flustered because I just couldn't think of a simple answer and I eventually just said that I couldn't think of a simple reason and it was just a natural progression and was just "right". We then talked about how I proposed (she didn't ask about that but she was friendly and it seemed right to just chat about stuff like that). Anyway, she then asked about the wedding and we pulled out an album of our 400 odd proofs from the photographer which she looked through and after that she said she was approving me.

She asked us for evidence we wanted to put in the file so we gave her a variety of things including copies of photos, a copy of a mortgage statement, bills, insurance documents. Interestingly she wanted my latest pay stub which I wasn't expecting (my wife easily earns enough for the affadavit of support) but I'm glad I threw it in the folder at the last minute.

After she said she was approving us she said she had to ask us some standard questions, and proceeded to test us on whether we knew where the other was born, date of birth, parents names (nearly messed up on that one because I kept thinking of her stepmother), wedding date, and wedding location.

She then gave us advice on what happens next (getting the card, removing conditions in 2 years - including the sort of evidence to include and how to present it i.e. circling the mortgage payment on a copy of a joint bank account statement - I think she was telling us this so we would have less chance to be called in for interview at that time), and stamped my passport.

Time for a few drinks!!!

Congrats! We too we're approved today( actually the 24th)! yahoo
Glen
Old Feb 28th 2006, 8:17 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Congratulations! Did you ask for or receive the stamp in your passport?

BTW that's not the first time I've heard of the officer asking for the alien's proof of employment, even though not listed on the I-864. But in cases where the alien didn't bring proof of employment, it wasn't an obstacle to approval.

Rene
Thanks.

She told me she was giving me a stamp - someone else recently had that happen in Newark so I would guess it's a normal thing to do there.

I think the pay stub for me may have been more proof of a shared address to add to the file. I was on an L1 visa but gave that up by changing jobs at the beginning of Feb.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 8:21 pm
Not here much

Originally Posted by curiousmelon
Congratulations!
How come during our AOS our officer didnt take any evidence to put in our file? Did he forget or something?
She was implying that by putting all the evidence in we would be less likely to be called in for interview when conditions are removed. Perhaps she was very convinced and wanted to make it easy for us. She said she would put the photos on the very front of the file to show we had a pretty large formal wedding which she said would probably help.
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Time for a few drinks!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Not here much

Originally Posted by campmcgu
Congrats! We too we're approved today( actually the 24th)! yahoo
Glen
Feels good doesn't it?
Old Feb 28th 2006, 9:00 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

She was implying that by putting all the evidence in we would be less likely to be called in for interview when conditions are removed. Perhaps she was very convinced and wanted to make it easy for us. She said she would put the photos on the very front of the file to show we had a pretty large formal wedding which she said would probably help.
What a nice officer you got!! I am very happy for you
USCIS free for 2 years minus 90 days yay!!
Old Feb 28th 2006, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations....
Old Feb 28th 2006, 11:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... and stamped my passport.
Congratulations!

Ian