Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS - anything i can do in advance?

AOS - anything i can do in advance?

Old May 22nd 2012, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS - anything i can do in advance?

She lives in the US
Old May 22nd 2012, 2:10 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I don't think the E-2 visa is the type where you have to show non-immigrant intent.

Rene
It is. However, the "non-immigrant intent" issue is often misunderstood. The statute simply has as a presumption that an alien will not comply with the terms of their non-immigrant admission -- a guilty until proven innocent presumption if you will. As noted above, the E does not have a "home abroad" requirement.

I wonder why OP did not state the reason for delaying filing the adjustment until after they have a joint bank account and other evidence of shared life. However, he is under no obligation to tell us.
Old May 22nd 2012, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
It is. However, the "non-immigrant intent" issue is often misunderstood. The statute simply has as a presumption that an alien will not comply with the terms of their non-immigrant admission -- a guilty until proven innocent presumption if you will. As noted above, the E does not have a "home abroad" requirement.

I wonder why OP did not state the reason for delaying filing the adjustment until after they have a joint bank account and other evidence of shared life. However, he is under no obligation to tell us.
There is no particular reason at all, we could file immediately I arrive - as I said though, we got married in January and I haven't been back there since then, so when I do go (if I am granted the visa, which is a bigger concern to me than when I file for AOS) we will set up joint accounts, and obtain things like a car lease for me, etc etc. I know there is no dependency on this before filing for AOS, its just how I had things mapped out in my head

Like I say, this bothers me less than the granting of the E visa and establishing my 'intent' (unless you believe it should bother me more?) - it is presumably much safer to not mention AOS at all at the interview, but as JEff says, there is every reason to believe that I will be quizzed about my wife and my intent in that respect.
Old May 22nd 2012, 2:19 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Then you're smoking some bad stuff if you think a consular officer is going to think "it would be just as likely that I would return when I was meant to and my USC wife would return with me"

As Mr.F has pointed out, there is a presumption in law that you will not return, and the fact that your wife is not living abroad with you now reinforces the point of view that the law tells an immigration official to have.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by captainsensible
She lives in the US
Old May 22nd 2012, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, I appreciate its a bit 'thin'!!
Old May 23rd 2012, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Ok, lets theorise one more time

Assume I have my interview for the E2 visa and at the interview I state my intent to leave - they question me in relation to my USC wife and I respond that the original intention was for her to move to the UK, but then work requested I transfer over to the US for a few years, so the original plans are on hold.

Does this sound more feasible?

Of course, further reading has me worried about then adjusting status after making this statement of intent, with the consequence of it leading to a charge of misrepresentation. Comments on that also welcome!

I appreciate the comments and input of everyone on this forum, if only so that I am better informed and able to prevent my company and their immigration attorneys putting me in a difficult situation.
Old May 23rd 2012, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Does this sound more feasible?
It's feasible only if it's the truth. If it's not...

... if only so that I am better informed and able to prevent my company and their immigration attorneys putting me in a difficult situation.
I don't think either your company or the attornies are putting you in a difficult situation. The situation arises because of your marriage to a USC. That's not something they had any control over.

While the situation is not particularly difficult, your own choices put you in it!

Ian
Old May 23rd 2012, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

They originally (before I got married) told me they were applying for a L1 Blanket, which would not have had the same consequences. The fact they then got E2 Investor status instead was a bit of a curveball but by then I had married.
Old May 23rd 2012, 1:38 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Then you're smoking some bad stuff if you think a consular officer is going to think "it would be just as likely that I would return when I was meant to and my USC wife would return with me"

As Mr.F has pointed out, there is a presumption in law that you will not return, and the fact that your wife is not living abroad with you now reinforces the point of view that the law tells an immigration official to have.

Regards, JEff
Jeff:

You are mis-stating what I said. "Non-immigrant" intent is intention to comply with the particular non-immigrant classification. And "immigrant" is a term defined in the Immigration & Nationality Act which is not the same as common usage. The "E" visa category does not, repeat not, have a requirement of a foreign residence.

As another example, the "K" visa is a non-immigrant category. And the "non-immigrant" intent is to marry a US citizen and apply for a green card! [Procedurally, it is treated as a hybrid].
Old May 23rd 2012, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

I don't believe I am clever enough to know whether this means anything in my situation or not!
Old May 23rd 2012, 2:50 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

My apologies.
Jeff:

You are mis-stating what I said.
Yes, i know ...
"Non-immigrant" intent is intention to comply with the particular non-immigrant classification. And "immigrant" is a term defined in the Immigration & Nationality Act which is not the same as common usage.
Yes, I know this also, and nothing in my post contradicted that.
The "E" visa category does not, repeat not, have a requirement of a foreign residence.
How is this example relevant? The E visa does not carry the presumtion that there is intent to immigrate ("apply for a green card") - does it? The E visa is not treated as a hybrid - or are you saying that the E visa is also treated as a hybrid?
As another example, the "K" visa is a non-immigrant category. And the "non-immigrant" intent is to marry a US citizen and apply for a green card! [Procedurally, it is treated as a hybrid].
Regards, JEff
Old May 24th 2012, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
How is this example relevant? The E visa does not carry the presumtion that there is intent to immigrate ("apply for a green card") - does it? The E visa is not treated as a hybrid - or are you saying that the E visa is also treated as a hybrid?
Would like to know the answer to this and whether or not it helps me
Old May 28th 2012, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Bumping this once more.

Mods - let me know if I should rephrase any outstanding questions in more direct relation to the E2 and post in the Immigration & Visas section.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 3:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Bumping this once more.

Mods - let me know if I should rephrase any outstanding questions in more direct relation to the E2 and post in the Immigration & Visas section.
Please read Site Rule #13 here: http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/

Do not bump posts. Plenty of people read these posts every day. If you haven't gotten an answer to your question in this forum, then evidently no one knows the answer.

If it's regarding an E visa, you can try posting your question in the US Immigration and Visas forum, here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Thank you,
Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.