Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Anyone at NVC now and dealing with changing wait times?

Anyone at NVC now and dealing with changing wait times?

Old Sep 14th 2015, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

msjh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone at NVC now and dealing with changing wait times?

Going the CR-1 route and have sent in paperwork and completed DS 260. The date the papers were received and "acknowledged" by NVC was Aug 11. The DS 260 was complete on the 13th.

The confirmation email I received, the NVC website and the nice phone agents at the NVC all say it takes "30 days" to review paperwork. I called today since our 30 days was up over the weekend and was told our papers had not yet left the mail room. The agent flagged then for review and told me it could take up to 42 days.

What's the next random number of days I should expect to wait? Just trying to prepare myself. And is there anything else I should be doing to encourage efficiency at the NVC? What has your experience been lately at the NVC?

Thanks so much! Waiting is hard but false hope is harder
Old Sep 14th 2015, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone at NVC now and dealing with changing wait times?

I went through NVC recently marginally quicker than their suggested 30 day review time however with an interview at the end of this month it will have been 13 months since submitting the I-130.
The only time guarantees with this process are that there are no guarantees, just average estimates.
Good luck.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 5:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Pick any random date, it doesn't matter. Then don't hope to hear anything by that random date. If you hear earlier, be pleasantly surprised, and don't be upset it you hear later.

Rene
Old Sep 14th 2015, 7:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msjh
The agent flagged then for review and told me it could take up to 42 days.
He lied to you. He doesn't actually know how long it'll take. It depends on how many other case files are ahead of yours in line... and, since he doesn't have that information, anything he says is just a guess.

What's the next random number of days I should expect to wait?
It usually take 6-8 weeks to process the paperwork at NVC, and another 8-10 weeks for the paperwork to get from the NVC to London.

And is there anything else I should be doing to encourage efficiency at the NVC?
I very much appreciate the chuckle... but no!

... false hope is harder
In that case, assume it will take 4 months at least for each step of the process from now on. You likely won't be disappointed again.

Ian
Old Sep 14th 2015, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Ugh.

We braced ourselves for a 5 month wait at USCIS and flew through in a month, so I guess we became overly optimistic.

It would be nice if instead of posting a 30 day review period the NVC was honest and admitted our futures were in their hands for an indefinite period of time. Then again, that just sounds depressing. Yeah.

Thanks for your replies and daily dose of reality
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 12:18 am
Just Joined

Update: I'm not very good at waiting so I called frequently and became friendly with a customer service agent who always seemed to answer when I called. She found me a supervisor to talk to who immediately requested my case and 2 days later we were approved
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

mikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msjh
Update: I'm not very good at waiting so I called frequently and became friendly with a customer service agent who always seemed to answer when I called. She found me a supervisor to talk to who immediately requested my case and 2 days later we were approved
Hi Msjh, I appreciate you posting this because we have been in limbo as well. After petitioning for my step-son in July 2014 we are still at the NVC stage. They have lost at least two items which has caused us delay. The key is to keep getting them on the phone (which it very time consuming as you know)

We started in 2014 so that my Step-son could begin his University courses here in the USA. Now this has been delayed. We are HOPING for him to be here in time to being the winter session in January.

Hope your interview comes soon!
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikechristina
Hi Msjh, I appreciate you posting this because we have been in limbo as well. After petitioning for my step-son in July 2014 we are still at the NVC stage. They have lost at least two items which has caused us delay. The key is to keep getting them on the phone (which it very time consuming as you know)

We started in 2014 so that my Step-son could begin his University courses here in the USA. Now this has been delayed. We are HOPING for him to be here in time to being the winter session in January.

Hope your interview comes soon!
Yes, I think in the case of the NVC the squeaky wheel adage is true.

I hope things get sorted for your step-son soon!