Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Any Married living apart waiting for I-129F approval?

Any Married living apart waiting for I-129F approval?

Old Oct 16th 2002, 3:06 am
Just Joined

dcdude99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Married living apart waiting for I-129F approval?

My situation is that we married in the US, but she left to return to her home country before her K-1 (with another man) expired. We have a lawyer who helped us prepare the I-129F "Petition for Alien Fiance". I received notification from the INS that it will be processed in 2 to 6 months and after 2 months have expired, they stated this type of situation usually processes in 5 months.

My wife currently lives with her parents in the Kiev, Ukraine. If they accept our application, we will go to the US Consulate in Warsaw, Poland for an interview. She has already passed the required health exam.

My question is for those who have a similar situation to us. They did not marry the initial fiancee with respect to the K-1 visa, and subsequently met and married someone else while residing in the US, but left before that 90 day, K-1 visa expired.

I would like to talk with those who have a similar situation and how they survived the wait being apart from each other. I just visited my wife and her family in the Ukraine and call her every day. But she is very sad that we are apart. Any ideas and encouragement would sure be appreicated. Thanks
Old Oct 16th 2002, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

n2stitch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Married living apart waiting for I-129F approval?

Unfortunately, since you're already married, your wife cannot use a fiance visa to come back to the US. You will need to file an I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. Good luck.

Originally posted by dcdude99:
My situation is that we married in the US, but she left to return to her home country before her K-1 (with another man) expired. We have a lawyer who helped us prepare the I-129F "Petition for Alien Fiance". I received notification from the INS that it will be processed in 2 to 6 months and after 2 months have expired, they stated this type of situation usually processes in 5 months.

My wife currently lives with her parents in the Kiev, Ukraine. If they accept our application, we will go to the US Consulate in Warsaw, Poland for an interview. She has already passed the required health exam.

My question is for those who have a similar situation to us. They did not marry the initial fiancee with respect to the K-1 visa, and subsequently met and married someone else while residing in the US, but left before that 90 day, K-1 visa expired.

I would like to talk with those who have a similar situation and how they survived the wait being apart from each other. I just visited my wife and her family in the Ukraine and call her every day. But she is very sad that we are apart. Any ideas and encouragement would sure be appreicated. Thanks
Old Oct 16th 2002, 3:24 am

Jade is an unknown quantity at this point

First of all, if you got married while she was here you can't file for a fiance visa - she's not your fiance, she's your wife and you would need to file for a spousal visa.

Originally posted by dcdude99:

Old Oct 16th 2002, 9:11 am
Mrtravel

dcdude99 wrote:
    > My situation is that we married in the US, but she left to return to her
    > home country before her K-1 (with another man) expired. We have a
    > lawyer who helped us prepare the I-129F "Petition for Alien Fiance".

Find another lawyer. If you are married, then she can't get a fiance
visa.
Any immigration lawyer should know this.

Are you saying that within 90 days of arrival, she decided to dump him,
become engaged to you,
and get married?

> My wife currently lives with her parents in the Kiev, Ukraine. If they
    > accept our application, we will go to the US Consulate in Warsaw, Poland
    > for an interview. She has already passed the required health exam.

You need to file I-130, aas she is ineligible for a fiance visa.

Old Oct 16th 2002, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Carl is an unknown quantity at this point

I think what you are talking about is a K-3 visa (for a spouse), which is confusing since you file I-129F like for a finacee. Obviously, you would have filed I-130 too, right? I doubt you will find too many people in your same situation.
Old Oct 16th 2002, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

dcdude99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow:

Thanks for your helpful advise. Actually, we filed both the I-129F and I-130 as well. The INS requires both forms because they want the background data from I-129F.

I'm sorry, you must of missed my point. All I am interested in is couples who are living apart while waiting for approval. Just some encouragement.

Originally posted by Carl:
I think what you are talking about is a K-3 visa (for a spouse), which is confusing since you file I-129F like for a finacee. Obviously, you would have filed I-130 too, right? I doubt you will find too many people in your same situation.
Old Oct 16th 2002, 8:46 pm
bba1vol

just pray and believe in the Lord