Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Any experience with DCF?

Any experience with DCF?

Old Aug 12th 2002, 6:43 pm
Kh

Default Any experience with DCF?

I'm attempting to find the fastest way to get my Indonesian fiancee to the US.
Apparently the black hole known as the NSC is at best an uncertain option at this
time, as is the K-3 process through the MO Center. So now I'm wondering if Direct
Consular Filing might be preferable. Has anyone had any success with this method
lately, particularly in Indonesia, the most populous Muslim country in the world
(yes, my fiancee is Muslim)?

Old Aug 12th 2002, 8:51 pm
L D Jones

Default Re: Any experience with DCF?

kh wrote:
    > I'm attempting to find the fastest way to get my Indonesian fiancee to the US.
    > Apparently the black hole known as the NSC is at best an uncertain option at this
    > time, as is the K-3 process through the MO Center. So now I'm wondering if Direct
    > Consular Filing might be preferable. Has anyone had any success with this method
    > lately, particularly in Indonesia, the most populous Muslim country in the world
    > (yes, my fiancee is Muslim)?

No personal experience (I did DCF in London, UK)

http://k1.exit.com/dcf.html (does not note
what year the Indonesia section was written)

http://www.usembassyja-
karta.org/consular/marriage.html

Old Aug 17th 2002, 6:54 pm
Kerry McDonald

Default Re: Any experience with DCF? LD JONES...for you!

Hi LD- Would you mind sharing your DCF experience in London? My Belgian fiancé and I
are thinking of using the same method as opposed to the K-1 visa.

Questions- Does it matter which country you get married in? Are there more forms than
the I-130 and the biographic forms needed? How long did it take from start to finish
(including work authorization info)? Looking back, would you do it differently?

Thanks in advance!!!

Kerry and Tom

"L D Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > kh wrote:
    > >
    > > I'm attempting to find the fastest way to get my Indonesian fiancee to the US.
    > > Apparently the black hole known as the NSC is at best an uncertain option at this
    > > time, as is the K-3 process through the MO Center. So now I'm wondering if Direct
    > > Consular Filing might be preferable. Has anyone had any success with this method
    > > lately, particularly in Indonesia, the most populous Muslim country in the world
    > > (yes, my fiancee is Muslim)?
    > No personal experience (I did DCF in London, UK)
    > http://k1.exit.com/dcf.html (does not note
    > what year the Indonesia section was written)
    > http://www.usembassy-
    > jakarta.org/consular/marriage.html

Old Aug 19th 2002, 7:06 am
S.M.

Kerry Try this web-site for recent experiences: http://www.kamya.com/interview/130int.html#UK

S.M.

"Kerry McDonald" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]. ne-
t
    > Hi LD- Would you mind sharing your DCF experience in London? My Belgian fiancé
and
    > I are thinking of using the same method as opposed to the K-1 visa.
    > Questions- Does it matter which country you get married in? Are there more forms
    > than the I-130 and the biographic forms needed? How long did it take from start to
    > finish (including work authorization info)? Looking back, would you do it
    > differently?
    > Thanks in advance!!!
    > Kerry and Tom
    > "L D Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > kh wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I'm attempting to find the fastest way to get my Indonesian fiancee to the US.
    > > > Apparently the black hole known as the NSC is at best an uncertain option at
    > > > this time, as is the K-3 process through the MO Center. So now I'm wondering if
    > > > Direct Consular Filing might be preferable. Has anyone had any success with
    > > > this method lately, particularly in Indonesia, the most populous Muslim country
    > > > in the world (yes, my fiancee is Muslim)?
    > >
    > > No personal experience (I did DCF in London, UK)
    > >
    > > http://k1.exit.com/dcf.html (does not
    > > note what year the Indonesia section was written)
    > >
    > > http://www.usembas-
    > > syjakarta.org/consular/marriage.html

Old Aug 19th 2002, 2:50 pm
L D Jones

Kerry McDonald wrote:
    > Hi LD- Would you mind sharing your DCF experience in London? My Belgian fiancé and
    > I are thinking of using the same method as opposed to the K-1 visa.
    > Questions- Does it matter which country you get married in?

I'm not sure. In order to do DCF the US consulate may require you to marry in that
country. This was never a question for me since I married in the UK.

> Are there more forms than the I-130 and the biographic forms needed?

Yes but it was obvious which forms to fill out since they all arrived in the
"packets" that were sent by the Embassy.

> How long did it take from start to finish (including work authorization info)?

No work auth needed. Once the spouse receives the visa and enters the US the "I-551"
stamp is placed into his or her passport. This is the equivalent of a greencard in
every way and allows the spouse to apply for an SSN and look for work immediately. No
EAD necessary.

The process took just over 3 months as I recall. In some countries it is much faster.

> Looking back, would you do it differently?

No. DCF was simply the fastest way to get my wife to the US with the ability to work.
Several other posters here have done DCF after I did. We considered K-1 briefly but
decided against it once we knew about DCF.

Contact the US embassy in Brussels. They should be able to give you any overview of
the process.

See How to file a petition in Brussels at http://www.usinfo.be/consul/immi/immimain.htm

Old Aug 19th 2002, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Hi,
To file the DCF in London you don't need to have been married in the UK. (we were married in the US)
The main criteria is the USC petitioner is a resident in the UK
when filing (residency doesn't just been "happening to be living in the UK")
It means having a residents visa which in our case my wife got at the UK Embassy in Washington.

After filing the I-130 and G325A you need to send in the DS-230 (part 1) and then wait for the NOA. which give you full instructions.
One thing worth "getting going" are the police reports, which in the UK can take around 4-6 weeks.

I agree with LD Jones, certainly in London the I-130 route seem to be the quickest, average timeline seems to be about
3.5/4 months.
Old Aug 26th 2002, 5:53 am
Kerry McDonald

LD- Thanks for the response. We are most likely going to go to Belgium, get married
and then file the
DCF.Here's my next inquiry - after we go into the embassy together, fill out the
initial paperwork (I-130) and the biographic forms it says that we will receive a
packet containing additional forms.

I'm wondering just how long I'll have to stay in Belgium during this process. Do you
recall if the rest of the process can be handled via mail or will we both need to be
present during the processing time?

Much appreciation, Kerry

"L D Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Kerry McDonald wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi LD- Would you mind sharing your DCF experience in London? My Belgian fiancé
and
    > > I are thinking of using the same method as opposed to the K-1 visa.
    > >
    > > Questions- Does it matter which country you get married in?
    > I'm not sure. In order to do DCF the US consulate may require you to marry in that
    > country. This was never a question for me since I married in the UK.
    > > Are there more forms than the I-130 and the biographic forms needed?
    > Yes but it was obvious which forms to fill out since they all arrived in the
    > "packets" that were sent by the Embassy.
    > > How long did it take from start to finish (including work authorization info)?
    > No work auth needed. Once the spouse receives the visa and enters the US the
    > "I-551" stamp is placed into his or her passport. This is the equivalent of a
    > greencard in every way and allows the spouse to apply for an SSN and look for work
    > immediately. No EAD necessary.
    > The process took just over 3 months as I recall. In some countries it is
    > much faster.
    > > Looking back, would you do it differently?
    > No. DCF was simply the fastest way to get my wife to the US with the ability to
    > work. Several other posters here have done DCF after I did. We considered K-1
    > briefly but decided against it once we knew about DCF.
    > Contact the US embassy in Brussels. They should be able to give you any overview of
    > the process.
    > See How to file a petition in Brussels at http://www.usinfo.be/consul/immi/immimain.htm

Old Aug 26th 2002, 10:00 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kerry McDonald:
- after we go into the embassy together, fill out the initial paperwork (I-130) and the biographic forms it says that we will receive a packet containing additional forms.
Much appreciation, Kerry
kerry, you can also download the forms ahead of time and gather all the papers you'll need while you're still in the States and take it with you. This will probable save you some time and stress while you're visiting Belgium.
Old Aug 26th 2002, 7:46 pm
Mrtravel

In cases where the USC is not required to live in the country for DCF, they are
generally free to leave after filing the I-130. The visa interview generally only
requires the immigrant. Check with the consulate to be sure.

Kerry McDonald wrote:
    > LD- Thanks for the response. We are most likely going to go to Belgium, get married
    > and then file the
    > DCF.Here's my next inquiry - after we go into the embassy together, fill out the
    > initial paperwork (I-130) and the biographic forms it says that we will receive
    > a packet containing additional forms.
    > I'm wondering just how long I'll have to stay in Belgium during this process. Do
    > you recall if the rest of the process can be handled via mail or will we both need
    > to be present during the processing time?
    > Much appreciation, Kerry

Old Aug 26th 2002, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

jcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant future

I would also get moving on obtaining the police certificate and if possible, put together your affidavit of support and have notarized just prior to leaving. After our initial interview and approval in South Africa, they gave us the paperwork for Packet 3. We already had all documents associated with this ready and they allowed us to turn it all all in on the same day and we received packet 4 (medical forms) and a final interview date 33 days hence (which I did not have to be present for). This knocked off about a month from our processing time by having the police cert and affidavit ready up front....