Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

any body have an interview yet with Vancouver for Fiance Visa?

any body have an interview yet with Vancouver for Fiance Visa?

Old Feb 19th 2003, 9:52 pm
KMT
Forum Regular

KMT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default any body have an interview yet with Vancouver for Fiance Visa?

Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone has had an interview lately with the Vancouver Consulate? My fiance faxed some info back to him after recieving his packet from them, he did this about one month ago, and he hasn't had a reply. So I emailed them with our Reciept/case number and they said they didn't have his case yet. Doesn't make sense since they were the ones that sent the packet.

What do you think?
KMT
Old Feb 20th 2003, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

cdnclv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: any body have an interview yet with Vancouver for Fiance Visa?

I had my interview in Vancouver last week. If you didn't request the consulate open a provisional file for your fiance while they waited for your paperwork from the service center, then I would think the only way that they could send out packet #3 is if they had your file. You say you have a VAC case #? I would e-mail the consulate again. In my experience, they are really out of it sometimes, and I was often frustrated in my dealings with them. I asked them several questions regarding my K-1 fiancee visa, and they would frequently confuse me with a K-3 visa, although I always specified the type of visa I had applied for. And they were always very vague with their responses. I hope you have better luck than I did. If you have any questions, please e-mail me at: [email protected]
Old Feb 20th 2003, 2:05 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

My fiance recently faxed the first set of forms to Vancouver...if you want to confirm they received the fax, make sure you reference the VAC # on the packet's cover letter, not the U.S. service center number

Maybe we should make sure too that they received his fax..
When they receive the first fax (bio form) are they supposed to mail you a confirmation of receipt?

Juliet
Old Feb 20th 2003, 3:18 am
KMT
Forum Regular

Originally posted by cdnclv
I had my interview in Vancouver last week. If you didn't request the consulate open a provisional file for your fiance while they waited for your paperwork from the service center, then I would think the only way that they could send out packet #3 is if they had your file. You say you have a VAC case #? I would e-mail the consulate again. In my experience, they are really out of it sometimes, and I was often frustrated in my dealings with them. I asked them several questions regarding my K-1 fiancee visa, and they would frequently confuse me with a K-3 visa, although I always specified the type of visa I had applied for. And they were always very vague with their responses. I hope you have better luck than I did. If you have any questions, please e-mail me at: [email protected]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, I hope your interview went well, how long were you there? It is nice to know that there are other people out there who give support such as yourself.
Thanks gain,
KMT
Old Feb 20th 2003, 3:39 am
KMT
Forum Regular

Originally posted by jcapulet
My fiance recently faxed the first set of forms to Vancouver...if you want to confirm they received the fax, make sure you reference the VAC # on the packet's cover letter, not the U.S. service center number

Maybe we should make sure too that they received his fax..
When they receive the first fax (bio form) are they supposed to mail you a confirmation of receipt?

Juliet
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is our time line. Thanks so much for your help it is much appreciated.
Nov. 20th in our petition to VSC
Nov 26, 1st notification
Third week of December Approval
First week of Jan. Rec'd Packet 3 from Vancouver Consulate
(sorry I don't have exact dates, sent everything with my fiance after his visit)

Just talked to fiance, and he said that he heard from them and he needs to get his medical exam and police certificate, and all that other paper work. He has been working out of town, and he will get everything done when he gets back. So hopefully he will have an interview in April. His lease runs out on his Apartment May 1st. So I hope and pray he has his interview in April. I had no clue from the beginning of this process it would take this long. But I feel lucky compare to those who have been waiting longer than us, God Bless them for hanging in there. Filling out all this paperwork is so tedious, but I know it haves to be done. Homework.............I never liked it . I have definately learned a lot.

Best wishes and good luck with the interview.
KMT
Old Feb 20th 2003, 3:56 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

If he is working out of town, maybe he can get the police certificate and medical wherever he is now. I think the police certifcate can be done at any RCMP...and the consulate package lists doctors that are desginated to do his medical exam. If one of those doc offices is near where he is now, he can get that done too. Just thinking of possible ways to help speed things up...especially because of the lease expiration you mentioned We hope to get Cory's interview in March or April!

Juliet
Old Feb 20th 2003, 4:04 am
KMT
Forum Regular

Originally posted by jcapulet
If he is working out of town, maybe he can get the police certificate and medical wherever he is now. I think the police certifcate can be done at any RCMP...and the consulate package lists doctors that are desginated to do his medical exam. If one of those doc offices is near where he is now, he can get that done too. Just thinking of possible ways to help speed things up...especially because of the lease expiration you mentioned We hope to get Cory's interview in March or April!

Juliet

That is a good thought............but not possible. He is working in an area that is so remote, no docs. But thanks for the thought, it would be great if it was possible.
Teresa
Old Feb 20th 2003, 6:13 am
Petey's Playmate

PEACHSTER is an unknown quantity at this point

Having the interview in Vancouver will be a breeze. As long as you have all the paperwork that is required & the affidavit of support is over 125% poverty level you are fine. From what I observed from my fiance's interview there last month there main concern is wether your fiance will become a public charge to the US. I had to have a co-sponsor for my fiance cause I dont make even half what is needed & with a co-sponsor was borderline cause I living with my mother still & not making much money they put me as a dependant on her even tho I really am not but Peter got his visa anyway so am very thankful for that. The people in Vancouver are nice & pretty laid back which is nice.

Good luck with your interview.
Old Feb 20th 2003, 2:31 pm
KMT
Forum Regular

Originally posted by PEACHSTER
Having the interview in Vancouver will be a breeze. As long as you have all the paperwork that is required & the affidavit of support is over 125% poverty level you are fine. From what I observed from my fiance's interview there last month there main concern is wether your fiance will become a public charge to the US. I had to have a co-sponsor for my fiance cause I dont make even half what is needed & with a co-sponsor was borderline cause I living with my mother still & not making much money they put me as a dependant on her even tho I really am not but Peter got his visa anyway so am very thankful for that. The people in Vancouver are nice & pretty laid back which is nice.

Good luck with your interview.

Thanks for you reply. I am ok with the income part. Thank goodness for that! I am glad that it went so smoothly for you.
Best wishes,
Teresa
Old Feb 20th 2003, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki_C is an unknown quantity at this point

Peachster.... did they give you any hassel about not making enough? Or was it simply sufficient to have a co-sponsor with no other line of questioning? I'm going through Vancouver (soon, I hope!) and my fiance is currently unemployed (by choice) and living with his parents, who are more than happy to co-sponsor us. He is finishing his education/portfolio and will be getting a job before we're married (which we intend to tell them). Do you think they'd be upset at such a situation? I'm sorry to ask you to speculate for me, but I'm so nervous about it, any opinion will help!!!

Thanks!

Nikki
Old Feb 20th 2003, 3:59 pm
jingling

Hi Nikki,

It should be fine, as long as you two have a co-sponsor (in your situation, his parents). All that Vancouver will be concerned about is that someone has agreed to be a sponsor/co-sponsor, it doesnt' matter to them who- as long is it's legally agreed to on the affidavit of support

Juliet

Originally posted by Nikki_C
Peachster.... did they give you any hassel about not making enough? Or was it simply sufficient to have a co-sponsor with no other line of questioning? I'm going through Vancouver (soon, I hope!) and my fiance is currently unemployed (by choice) and living with his parents, who are more than happy to co-sponsor us. He is finishing his education/portfolio and will be getting a job before we're married (which we intend to tell them). Do you think they'd be upset at such a situation? I'm sorry to ask you to speculate for me, but I'm so nervous about it, any opinion will help!!!

Thanks!

Nikki
Old Feb 20th 2003, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, Juliet! That made me feel a TON better....!

Yeah, his folks are totally cool with co-sponsoring (in fact, we're going to live with them for a month or two), we were just worried since Matt hasn't had a job in a while, but it's been for a good (and justifiable) reason...

Now if only we'd see some movement from CSC... I'm dying to see that 2nd NOA... but it's just gotten so depressing I can't bring myself to even check online anymore! hahaha I just can't believe it'll ever change to an approval message! haha
Old Feb 20th 2003, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

cdnclv is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi KMT:

I relayed my interview experience on the CamAm Couples website, and will copy it for you here. Have you checked it out yet? I have found it extremely helpful because it specifically deals with Canandian/American couples going through the K-1 visa process and the members are great. Check it out if you haven't already:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canamcouples/

Here's our timeline and my story, and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. There are a few easy ways to speed things up in Vancouver, if you know what they are. Your fiance can schedule the medical for the same day as the interview because the doctor in Vancouver provides the results by 1:30pm. The interviews are scheduled for 2:00pm and are only a 5-10 minute drive away. That way, he won't have to wait until he has the medical to return the checklist.

Petition sent to NSC - Aug 5/02
1st NOA - Aug 7/02 (70-100 days est. for processing)
2nd NOA (161 days) - Jan 15/03
Packet #3 (picked up from consulate) - Jan 22/03
Faxed back checklist - Jan 30/03
Interview - Feb 12/03

"Just got back to work from my interview at the Vancouver consulate (hasn't been a productive day so far and I can't see that changing anytime soon). I have the visa. The interview was easy. The hardest part is waiting. There were four of us interviewed this afternoon. They don't give you much privacy as
you all wait together and then go up to a slightly partioned booth to process the paperwork. Bring a magazine, or if you're chatty, make some new friends. Two of the people there had travelled to the US with no problem while their visa was being processed. However, I believe they said they were visiting family or friends. The other two chickens(including myself) didn't try. While she was going through my forms, the woman at the first window asked if I had a lawyer do our petition for us. I said "no" and asked why she inquired. She said the amount of evidence we provided was typical of a lawyer's paperwork. I asked if that was a good thing or a bad thing, and she replied "bad". In retrospect, I guess 30-somewhat pages of pictures, e-mails, photocopied plane tickets, etc. might have been overkill. But better safe than sorry. Needless to say, I was not asked for further evidence. For evidence of support, she only took my fiance's employment letter and the letter from his bank, and returned the copies of W-2s to me. Pay your fee down the hall (cash only please), return to surrender your passport and wait some more. The second guy (next window, so you get three more feet of privacy between you and the other applicants) asks questions like how you met, how often you visit each other, and do you intend to continue your line of work in the States. He was really asking if I planned keep my job in Vancouver and commute to Seattle. NO. Asked if I had any questions. Lots, but I couldn't remember any. Oh well. You wait a little more, and then you get your visa and "the mysterious brown envelope". Total time spent: 2 hours. One major point of interest: The visa is valid only for six months from the date it is received and CANNOT be extended. A girl that was waiting had already planned her Canadian "wedding" for August 22nd, to be followed by the real one in the US. Her visa is only good until August 11th, so now she must make other arrangements."
Old Feb 20th 2003, 6:49 pm
Petey's Playmate

PEACHSTER is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Nikki_C

Thanks!

Nikki
They was a little concerned & had to call to find out the poverty levels & we was borderline. What helped was Peter having a letter for a job offer here in the states. The officer who interviewed Peter said this was a minor thing & wouldnt hold it against him from getting his visa. As long as your parents have more then enough income you should be fine. I would explain the whole situation to them about the schooling & gettin a job before marriage cause if you dont then they might see it as your fiance doesnt wanna work & that could go against you. Like I said explain everything & you should be fine.
Old Feb 20th 2003, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, Peachster.. that sounds very fair. I understand why they would be concerned, but Matt can prove he's been working on his portfolio and traveling for the past year and before that was in school.

Do they require evidence of WHAT you've been doing besides working, or just take your word for it? After waiting so long in this process I don't want to eff it all up at the interview!! haha

It seems this process can make even the sanest person paranoid! hahaahah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.