Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Another Tax Time Question

Another Tax Time Question

Old Mar 28th 2003, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

k9esp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another Tax Time Question

My husband and I have filed AOS, I am married to my American husband and upon the advice of his accountant have been advised to file for this years taxes as married joint, even though I currently do not have a Social Security Number and am yet to receive my EAD. Have not yet sent in the paperwork to IRS but wondered can this be done?

Entered the country April 02, filed AOS Dec 02, after overstaying Visa Waiver. Received NOA Jan 03 and still awaiting with great impatience. As reported Orlando office is experiencing huge backlogs and delays with processing, but then isn't everyone.

Any info greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 30th 2003, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Jo_B will become famous soon enoughJo_B will become famous soon enough
Default ITIN

It's a given you'd either need your SSN or an Individual Tax Identification Number in order for your husband to claim you on your taxes. To apply for your ITIN, quicker than waiting for your EAD and SSN, download form W-7 from the IRS site and send it in. It will take a few weeks to get it back tho, your hubby may have to apply for an extension on his taxes then if he wants to claim you. If you made any $$ in your home country, then you'd have to also do the forgien tax credits form # 1116.
Here's a number to International Tax Services who will help you with any other questions you may have.

1-800-267-5177

Jo
Old Mar 31st 2003, 3:29 am
Just Joined

k9esp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ITIN

Originally posted by Jo_B
It's a given you'd either need your SSN or an Individual Tax Identification Number in order for your husband to claim you on your taxes. To apply for your ITIN, quicker than waiting for your EAD and SSN, download form W-7 from the IRS site and send it in. It will take a few weeks to get it back tho, your hubby may have to apply for an extension on his taxes then if he wants to claim you. If you made any $$ in your home country, then you'd have to also do the forgien tax credits form # 1116.
Here's a number to International Tax Services who will help you with any other questions you may have.

1-800-267-5177

Jo
Thank you for your help in assisting me with this. Will likely file and extention either until my S.S number comes through or ITIN, whichever one is faster.
Old Mar 31st 2003, 1:07 pm
unDAUNTEd

KissingtheBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ITIN

Originally posted by k9esp
Thank you for your help in assisting me with this. Will likely file and extention either until my S.S number comes through or ITIN, whichever one is faster.

Are you eligible for a SSN? I ask only because the IRS told my husband that if he was eligible for a SSN, he was NOT eligible for an ITIN.

Angela

(PS - Good luck...we just went through all this tax stuff and it is such a pain! As we filed married/joint we did have to report Dave's UK income.)