Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Another silly salary question...

Another silly salary question...

Old Jan 16th 2003, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

beyness is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another silly salary question...

OKay, here's the boring deal. I was an actress in New York for 5 years, now I'm a boring old fuddy duddy in Indiana with two dead end jobs. My question.. (as people who have seen me post know, this is part I'm most paranoid about-not having enough money in the eyes of the INS!)... in 1999, I made very little, but in 2000 and 2001, I made way over 125% of the poverty level. In 2002, I made(maybe) JUST 125% over the poverty level... Now I'm back to making very little.

Does this count as being "self-employed"? My income came from about 6 or 7 different sources those 4 years(commercials, theatre, day jobs, etc). The I-134 is very cut and dry and I'm just not sure how to fill it out without putting a long letter of explanation for everything. Any ideas? Suggestions?

DO you think I'll need a co-sponsor or will I be okay on my own?

Sorry to give you my life story, I'm just not sure how to explain it without... Please help this paranoid freak!
Old Jan 17th 2003, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Anyone, anyone? I know if the topics don't stay at the top, they tend to get lost in the menagerie, so... here I selfishly go.. refreshing my own post!
Old Jan 17th 2003, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

jeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud of
Default Re: Another silly salary question...

That's funny, refreshing your own post. I like it!

I don't really know the answer to your question, but I can give you my situation.

My father filled out the original Affidavit of Support - I worked for a non-profit agency before losing my job to funding cuts last January.

My husband has been working since November, but is still in the 3-month training pay scale - not enough of a yearly wage to make the 125%.

At the interview - the INS officer asked to see my tax information. She knew I still wasn't working and that Philip's full pay wasn't kicked in yet.

She handed me back the Affidavit my father filled out and we filled out a new one based on Philip's income.

So, I guess the answer to your question is that I still really don't know, but I think if you fill it out honestly and provide plenty of tax info - you should be a-okay.

I'm just bringing your post to the top, really.
Old Jan 17th 2003, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Jennifer, for bringing it to the top! I'm sure i'll be okay, since I do have two job and I'm getting my dad to co-sponsor "just in case", but I'm just a bit on edge these days! What I don't know is EXACTLY what to put in the "I earn a salary wage of:" column, but I guess I 'll just put an average and show the tax returns and letters from both employers as "proof" of that vague status...

thanks again, maybe others will join in?
Old Jan 17th 2003, 8:38 pm
Mrtravel

Default Re: Another silly salary question...

If you received W-2 income from those places, then you were not
self-employed, you simply have had multiple short term employers. If you
filed 1040 Schedule C for those jobs, that is another issue.
If you don't have evidence of a current job paying the required amount,
you should get a cosponsor unless you don't have the 5 times assets for
the deliquency.

beyness wrote:
    >
    > Anyone, anyone? I know if the topics don't stay at the top, they tend
    > to get lost in the menagerie, so... here I selfishly go.. refreshing
    > my own post!
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com