Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Another question similar to Minty's about entering the US whilst going through the K1

Wikiposts

Another question similar to Minty's about entering the US whilst going through the K1

Old Jan 10th 2004, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

ithinessex is a jewel in the roughithinessex is a jewel in the roughithinessex is a jewel in the roughithinessex is a jewel in the roughithinessex is a jewel in the rough
Default Another question similar to Minty's about entering the US whilst going through the K1

Hi everyone and thanks for your responses to Minty's question, as I intend to be travelling in that situation in April. My additional question is, when you walk up to the immigration desk at the POE to see the officer and hand him/her your passport and green and white vaiver forms, do they know from their screen that you have applied for a K1 at that stage, or is there a part on the geen form that says you have, sorry I can't remember? Many thanks in advance for your replies!

Ian
Old Jan 11th 2004, 2:44 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another question similar to Minty's about entering the US whilst going through the K1

Originally posted by ithinessex
Hi everyone and thanks for your responses to Minty's question, as I intend to be travelling in that situation in April. My additional question is, when you walk up to the immigration desk at the POE to see the officer and hand him/her your passport and green and white vaiver forms, do they know from their screen that you have applied for a K1 at that stage, or is there a part on the geen form that says you have, sorry I can't remember? Many thanks in advance for your replies!

Ian
Hi:

Assume the computer will have everything in it. In any case, there has been anecdotal reports that people HAVE been turned away because petions were pending.

In fact, Matt Udall got me involved in these NG's due to a string on Alve
Old Jan 11th 2004, 2:44 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another question similar to Minty's about entering the US whilst going through the K1

Originally posted by ithinessex

Ian
Hi:

Assume the computer will have everything in it. In any case, there has been anecdotal reports that people HAVE been turned away because petions were pending.

In fact, Matt Udall got me involved in these NG's due to a string on Alvena's defunct site where the alien beneficiary was turned away while traveling with his beloved. Apparently the USC couldn't take "no" for an answer and the POE people not only insisted it was the "law", they actually SHOWED him the law in cold print. One slight problem which I noted, there is no law which REQUIRES refusal of admission. The OP in that particular string blasted a lot of flames my way that it was impossible that I know what I was talking about since the OFFICIALS had actually SHOWN him the LAW as it was PRINTED and the OP was not an idiot.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

Darkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another question similar to Minty's about entering the US whilst going through th

I didnt have a k1 pending back in october, but my third trip in a year on the VWP did made the bells and whistles go off at the POE.

Be prepared for ALOT of questions, secondary inspection and an interview in front of a videocamera. I didnt have an easy time when i came back in through Philly as my POE. In the end i convinced them that i didnt have any bad intentions and that i would be applying for a K1 visa once i arrived with my fiancee and they let me in for another 3 months.

My suggestion is, as many have said, have PROOF that you will return. I had a nicely written letter from my employer, cellphone contract (lasts until end 2004), misc bills and proof of my apartment in Europe.

I was polite and answered every question truthfully (Are you planning to work, how do you get the money to afford another 3 months, howmuch money do you have on you, where are you working, etc).

I know that if the POE officer had a bad day that i would have been turned back, So i am sure that you will have to go through the same ordeal, since you have a petition pending that shows Intent to immigrate (although its a non immigrant visa).