Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Another marriage question

Another marriage question

Old Feb 26th 2014, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another marriage question

Originally Posted by NCSox
Good Evening / good morning.

A little about myself to start. I have been dating my current fiancé since last year and we have been engaged since October 2013. I visited the USA in December 2013 (and am not scheduled to leave until 16 march).
We were hoping to get married on Valentines day, but all the good venues were already taken, so we had to push back until 20th February. Everything for the wedding is all booked. I just have a few questions I hope can be answered...
I am based just outside Orlando Fl, and was wandering where I need to go to collect my USCIS application forms? Or can they be applied for online and posted to my residence?
I am going to book my medical in the next few days, as I understand the medical can be done before or after the wedding?
Will I need to apply for an extension on my tourist visa? As there is a chance that by the time I am applicable to work then my current stay will have been exceeded?
I have a good idea of the situation thanks to the contributes on this forum aswell as looking online over the past few weeks.

I dare say that these questions get asked/ answered on a daily basis, I was just hoping for a little clarity for my situation.
Thanks in advance and I look forward to contributing to this forum in the future.
So did you get married on the 20th and have you started your AOS application?
Old Feb 26th 2014, 7:31 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another marriage question

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But if the OP entered the US on the VWP intending to immigrate then adjusting status is NOT an available option.
Well, it's an available illegal option.

Bottom line is that it's illegal to misreprent yourself at the POE as a visitor, if your real intent is to stay and adjust status. Period. Sure, if the OP comes to the POE and says "hey I'm visiting on the VWP but I'm planning to get married and stay permanently in the USA on this visit", and the POE officer lets him in...then no misrepresentation was done. But if the OP makes it seem like he's going to return before 90 days is up, but his real intent is to stay in the USA, then misrepresentation has occurred. There is also a scenario where someone does come to the USA with no intent to remain...but then changes his/her mind after entry...then AOS from VWP is allowed.

And on that note, I'm going to close this thread, as the OP has gotten all the opinions needed.

I see SanDiego girl has asked the OP where he is in the process. If the OP would like to respond, a new thread can be started.

Rene