Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam embassy - will they send notice of processing?

Amsterdam embassy - will they send notice of processing?

Old Apr 15th 2002, 3:40 pm
Jennifer

Default Amsterdam embassy - will they send notice of processing?

Hey NG,

After the request to open a provisional file, the Embassy in Amsterdam sent my fiance
his "packet 3" on 3/26/02. On the cover letter, they assigned him a case number. He
sent it in and it was received by the Embassy on 4/2/02.

I know it hasn't been very long - but my question is:

Does the embassy send a notice that they are "processing" his case - prior to sending
him the invitation for medical exam and visa interview? Or will the medical/interview
date notice be the only notice he receives?

We're just in limbo right now and have NO idea what to expect next, or what kind of
timeline we're looking at - and frankly, probably like everyone else here, we're
going CRAZY!

We have both tried to contact the Embassy via phone hundreds of times and have had no
luck getting through to a real person (I have to say, at least with the NSC, we had
an automated recording that we could call obsessively...and looking back, that was
comforting in a pathetic sort of way!)...

Should I fax a letter to the Embassy inquiring about the status of the case - what
their timelines are looking like, etc...?

*Huge sigh*

Thanks in advance everyone for your input/advice/support...

~jennifer

Old Apr 15th 2002, 5:40 pm
Eileen

Default Re: Amsterdam embassy - will they send notice of processing?

first of all you are dealing with the Consulate (the Embassy is in den Haag) you have
mannaged to get a file opened up (a small miracle congratulations! the Consulate
takes about two weeks for their end of the work. The waiting time is for the police
report from the private agency(that you or the Consulate have no control over). This
report is taking about 4-5 weeks. The Consulate can do nothing with their end until
they receive back the police report. so the KEY to shortening the time is *not* to
get the file opened(>>even though that impressed me(smiling). The KEY is to trigger
the request by the Consulate for the police report from the private agency. If I
remember correctly, Klaas said one of the papers he had to sign and turn in was
*permission* to do the police check. Klaas is out of town , so I will ask him soon,
but ask your fiance to look through packet 3 for any such paper. If he finds
one.....well, you are effective at getting them to *do* things......so go for it. or
just plain ask....what do we need to do to get the police check started? when the
police check is returned(clean of course) then the Consulate schedules the medical
and the visa appointment(interview) all within two weeks. You are not waiting on the
Consulate, you are waiting on the police check from the private agency. "Jennifer"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hey NG,
    >
    > After the request to open a provisional file, the Embassy in Amsterdam sent my
    > fiance his "packet 3" on 3/26/02. On the cover letter, they assigned him a case
    > number. He sent it in and it was received by the Embassy on 4/2/02.
    >
    > I know it hasn't been very long - but my question is:
    >
    > Does the embassy send a notice that they are "processing" his case - prior to
    > sending him the invitation for medical exam and visa interview? Or will the
    > medical/interview date notice be the only notice he receives?
    >
    > We're just in limbo right now and have NO idea what to expect next, or what kind of
    > timeline we're looking at - and frankly, probably like everyone else here, we're
    > going CRAZY!
    >
    > We have both tried to contact the Embassy via phone hundreds of times and have had
    > no luck getting through to a real person (I have to say, at least with the NSC, we
    > had an automated recording that we could call obsessively...and looking back, that
    > was comforting in a pathetic sort of way!)...
    >
    > Should I fax a letter to the Embassy inquiring about the status of the case - what
    > their timelines are looking like, etc...?
    >
    > *Huge sigh*
    >
    > Thanks in advance everyone for your input/advice/support...
    >
    > ~jennifer

Old Apr 15th 2002, 5:40 pm
Eileen

forgot to answer your question............. NO...I have never known the Consulate to
notify anyone that things are being processed. my guess is if the police report has
been requested, he will get a letter second week of May with the medical and
interview dates. if I was a betting person I would bet May 23 medical and May 30
(fake)interview and visa Eileen

ok, now I am gonna go mail the taxes before I forget that too!!!

Old Apr 16th 2002, 1:40 am
Jennifer

"Eileen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>.. .
    > forgot to answer your question............. NO...I have never known the Consulate
    > to notify anyone that things are being processed. my guess is if the police report
    > has been requested, he will get a letter second week of May with the medical and
    > interview dates. if I was a betting person I would bet May 23 medical and May 30
    > (fake)interview and visa Eileen
    >
    > ok, now I am gonna go mail the taxes before I forget that too!!!

Aye....the Consulate, not the Embassy...

Well...Peter already filled out his packet 3 info, & sent back everything that they
requested to be sent in at this time - including I'm sure (but I'll ask him tonight)
something to the effect of a permission form to do the police check. SO...I'm hoping
they've already started that process?!? And they've had his checklist, etc...for 2
wks. now. Now, I LIKE your timeline on the police check...4-5 weeks?? That's much
better than 6-8 wks (which I've read) and 8-12 wks. (which I've read)....

OH - IT'S THE WAITING - IT'S TURNING ME INTO A FLIPPIN' MANIAC!

Thank you, Eileen. I wish I could just ASK someone there "Has the police check
process started?", but we're unable to get through to a person....and you know us,
it's not for a lack of trying. Well, I had good luck (a small miracle) getting the
provisional file opened...so perhaps a little fax asking if the police check was
started...just a wee tidbit of info for us???

I'll tell Peter tonight about your "if I was a betting woman" dates...It may make his
sad heart feel a bit better. Thanks again, Eileen. (from a fellow..."just ran out
at 4pm this afternoon and mailed my taxes" girl)

~jennifer

Old Apr 16th 2002, 6:40 pm
Tami

> forgot to answer your question............. NO...I have never known the Consulate
    > to notify anyone that things are being processed. my guess is if the police report
    > has been requested, he will get a letter second week of May with the medical and
    > interview dates. if I was a betting person I would bet May 23 medical and May 30
    > (fake)interview and visa Eileen
    >
    > ok, now I am gonna go mail the taxes before I forget that too!!!

we also received no verification that they were processing the file..altho my husband
(fiancee then) didnt have to wait very long for his appointment..seems like it was
about 2 weeks. Good Luck!! things seem to be moveing along now ")

Old Apr 17th 2002, 4:10 am
Eileen

> OH - IT'S THE WAITING - IT'S TURNING ME INTO A FLIPPIN' MANIAC!
    >
oh Jennifer...you have such a poker face

Old Apr 17th 2002, 3:10 pm
Jennifer

> >
    > > OH - IT'S THE WAITING - IT'S TURNING ME INTO A FLIPPIN' MANIAC!
    > >
    > oh Jennifer...you have such a poker face

I know, I know...I almost had you fooled, but decided to let you in on my little
secret. : )