Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

American / Brit Marriage - Help please.

American / Brit Marriage - Help please.

Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:24 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American / Brit Marriage - Help please.

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Start your official investigations here: http://www.britainusa.com/visas/othe...5&Other_ID=319
Correction: Link is http://www.britainusa.com/visas/othe...5&Other_ID=322
Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:31 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

2/ You need to get him here to marry you. The fact that he has been before is actually a negative. Never lie to the uniformed drones -- they have long memories and nasty, sadistic minds. You merely need to convince them (the onus is on you) that he is admissible and you are going to get married here and then live in Blighty. Then they should be happy to let him in.
Just out of curiosity, since they are planning to stay in the UK anyway, isn't there some sort of fiance-type visa she can get in order to go marry and live in the UK? Unless it's so important to get married in the USA....

That way, there's only 1 trip involved.

Rene
Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:43 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just out of curiosity, since they are planning to stay in the UK anyway, isn't there some sort of fiance-type visa she can get in order to go marry and live in the UK? Unless it's so important to get married in the USA....

That way, there's only 1 trip involved.

Rene

There is, I believe.

But none of it is the mega wait you have over here so it doesn't really matter. Would sure make things simpler for her, though.

Info here:
http://www.britainusa.com/visas/othe...&Other_ID=1334
Old Jan 30th 2006, 10:05 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

There is, I believe.

But none of it is the mega wait you have over here so it doesn't really matter. Would sure make things simpler for her, though.

Info here:
http://www.britainusa.com/visas/othe...&Other_ID=1334
Costs more that way though, from what I understand.

You have to pay for the fiance(e) visa and a spousal visa.

The spousal visa costs more in-country than it does from the States so you either pay more there or pay for a flight and then the visa here.

Better to be married and then get the spousal visa I reckon.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 5:26 pm
Maryanne Kehoe

>Strange they didn't admit you

Hi... haven't been here for awhile....I think it depends on the UK
airport. I was asked questions at Manchester and after their immigration
taking my passport into the office, 15 minutes later, came back, stamped
it and I was in. I stayed 3 months.

But I understand now that if you are going to *marry* in the UK, you now
need to apply for their new "marriage visa."

I am guessing the denial of entry was at Heathrow (?)

Old Feb 9th 2006, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

SuzyBandseer has a brilliant futureSuzyBandseer has a brilliant futureSuzyBandseer has a brilliant futureSuzyBandseer has a brilliant futureSuzyBandseer has a brilliant futureSuzyBandseer has a brilliant future

OK now we are really not talking about US immigration, but this I do know about b/c I was looking into it myself. To get married in the UK, you need to apply for a visit-marriage visa. These are really easy to get- you will apply in the US, sending off the forms & your passport & get it back within a couple weeks (I know someone who did this last month). You HAVE to have this visa to get married in the UK or else they won't let you get the marriage license! If you want a visa to get married in the UK & settle, you need another variation on this which is also easy to get but costs more money.

You just have to know that you need to be reside in the area for 7 days (coming in on the visa) & then you can give notice for your marriage but you have to wait 15 days to get married.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 1:08 am
Just Joined

EmilyC is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep - the denial was at Heathrow. We think we've figured out why they didn't let me in. I didn't really have any proof that I would be coming back to the States, aside from my return flight. I didn't have a job, so acquiring a letter from a boss couldn't have happened. We really should have read up on some things before I flew out - it might have saved us some money and a whole lot of hassle! The incident is still being investigated, and we're hoping to hear something soon.

My divorce has finally been filed, and should be finalised in about 2 months. Once it's final, he'll be flying out, we'll marry here in the States, fly out to New York to get me a Spousal Visa, then I'll fly back with him. I've already called the Court to see what sort of documentation he needs in order for us to get a license, and all is good on that front. Now it's just a matter of compiling all the information and evidence we need for the Visa. From what we can tell, that's the cheapest and quickest route we can take.

I'm a little concerned that they'll raise their eyebrows about the crossed out Heathrow stamp in my passport, though. I'm really hoping that won't cause any problems when I apply for my visa.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 2:01 pm
Gregory Morrow

maryanne kehoe wrote:

> >Strange they didn't admit you
    > Hi... haven't been here for awhile....I think it depends on the UK
    > airport.

DUH! You mean different UK airports have "different" rules, Mary
Ann...???

I was asked questions at Manchester and after their immigration
    > taking my passport into the office, 15 minutes later, came back, stamped
    > it and I was in. I stayed 3 months.

That is appatently one of *stupidest* things you could have done, Mary
Ann...

IIRC you said that when you were asked your reason for entering the UK
you said "To get married!"...that is normally an *automatic* reason to
DENY one entry (and not just to the UK, it's SOP for most any nation).

> But I understand now that if you are going to *marry* in the UK, you now
    > need to apply for their new "marriage visa."

You "understand" wrong...

> I am guessing the denial of entry was at Heathrow (?)

Why? Are there different rules for LHR as compared to other UK points
entry...???

--
Best
Greg