Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Already have SSN from previous Visa - will this make a difference?

Already have SSN from previous Visa - will this make a difference?

Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:09 pm
Out of Nebraska!

DazzaInTheUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Already have SSN from previous Visa - will this make a difference?

Hello There!

As you can probably tell, this is my first time here, but I have an interesting question and I have not seen the answer anywhere.

First some history:
From Dec 2000 to Aug 2003, I was working in Illinois on an L-1 intra-company transfer visa. During this time, I met my girlfriend and we dated for over 2 years while I was there and last November, I proposed to her while she was visiting me in the UK.

Now, we are preparing to apply for the K-1 visa and I was wondering: since I already have a Social Security Number, will this make things easier, harder or indifferent for the new visa application?

Clearly, we need to declare the SSN on the petition, but will the fact that I was previously approved for a visa help my application or slow it down?

Also, assuming that we do get approved, will the fact I already have an SSN help me get the EAD any faster?

I would love to hear from anyone that had a similar experience.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,
Darren
Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:23 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Already have SSN from previous Visa - will this make a difference?

Dazza,

Having a SSN should neither help nor hurt you with regard to the processing of your fiancee's petition, your visa application, or your subsequent application for EA.

Neither should the fact that you had a visa previously, unless you did something in relation to the previous visa that would make you inadmissable to the USA.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by DazzaInTheUK
Hello There!

As you can probably tell, this is my first time here, but I have an interesting question and I have not seen the answer anywhere.

First some history:
From Dec 2000 to Aug 2003, I was working in Illinois on an L-1 intra-company transfer visa. During this time, I met my girlfriend and we dated for over 2 years while I was there and last November, I proposed to her while she was visiting me in the UK.

Now, we are preparing to apply for the K-1 visa and I was wondering: since I already have a Social Security Number, will this make things easier, harder or indifferent for the new visa application?

Clearly, we need to declare the SSN on the petition, but will the fact that I was previously approved for a visa help my application or slow it down?

Also, assuming that we do get approved, will the fact I already have an SSN help me get the EAD any faster?

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,
Darren
Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:36 pm
Out of Nebraska!

Nope, I was a good boy during my time in the US. I even left several weeks before its expiration date

I was pretty sure the previous visa would make no difference, I was just curious if there was anyone out there who had a similar experience.

Thanks for the fast reply!

Cheers,
Darren

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Dazza,

Having a SSN should neither help nor hurt you with regard to the processing of your fiancee's petition, your visa application, or your subsequent application for EA.

Neither should the fact that you had a visa previously, unless you did something in relation to the previous visa that would make you inadmissable to the USA.

Regards, JEff
Old Jan 9th 2004, 2:17 pm
Charlie Tuna

CharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of light

Darren,

I spent nearly 5 years in the States before coming back to the UK and applying for a K1 visa, and I have a SSN.
It will not make any difference to your application, nor will any previous visa as long as you adhered to the rules of the original visa.
The SSN will help you once you make it back to the USA.
Many K1 applicants find that it takes them some time to receive a new SSN once they land stateside, and so you have an obvious headstart on them.
Basically, it is one less thing for you to worry about.

Good luck!

Char
Old Jan 9th 2004, 2:19 pm
Out of Nebraska!

Excellent news I figured that might be the case, but it's always nice to get a confirmation.

Thanks for your time!

Cheers,
Darren

Originally posted by CharlieS
Darren,

I spent nearly 5 years in the States before coming back to the UK and applying for a K1 visa, and I have a SSN.
It will not make any difference to your application, nor will any previous visa as long as you adhered to the rules of the original visa.
The SSN will help you once you make it back to the USA.
Many K1 applicants find that it takes them some time to receive a new SSN once they land stateside, and so you have an obvious headstart on them.
Basically, it is one less thing for you to worry about.

Good luck!

Char
Old Jan 9th 2004, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

curlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nice

I was here on 3 J1 visas before I got my F1 visa and now I am waiting for my AOS through marriage. I got a SSN the first time I came to the US and have used the same number ever since. It has not made any differences when applying for other visas - the only problem as other people have commented on is if you did something wrong when you were here on the other visa - arrested, overstayed etc! I think your case is very common, but I dont think it will be either speeded up or slowed down.

Good luck!

Originally posted by DazzaInTheUK
Hello There!

First some history:

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,
Darren