Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Almost Good News from Dublin K1 Interview

Almost Good News from Dublin K1 Interview

Old Dec 11th 2003, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

MarDae will become famous soon enough
Default Almost Good News from Dublin K1 Interview

My fiance had his K1 interview today in Dublin. We "thought" that we had everything in order. We've only briefly spoken and he was a little hurried but this is the gist of what happened.

He arrived at the consulte 20 min before his interview and read a sign that stated that the embassy does not accept cash and he needed to get a postal order or bank draft. None of this was written in any of the forms that he had received from the embassy. He ran to the nearest bank and waited in line only to be told that since he did not have an account they would not be able to give him a bank draft even though he had the cash to give them. He then ran 1/2 mile to the nearest branch of his bank and was finally able to get a bank draft for the 90 euro fee.

He arrived back at the consulate and qued until he was allowed inside. He then gave his paperwork to a woman inside at a counter. She told him that she didn't have copies of his DS-156 etc and he said that he had mailed them in. She said they never received them with which he countered, then how did they schedule my interview if they never received them? She ignored this and made him fill out another set of forms. She then questioned the tax return I had given him for 2002 since it was below the 125% FPIG. He then said that he had my letter from my employer stating my current salary and two recent pay stubs to support that salary. She said "I guess that will do." She then told him that the 3/4 pictures he provided were the wrong ones, he then produced the picture information sheet he had received in his packet 3 that specifically required 3/4 pictures. She said that it was wrong and sent him accross the street to get front view photos. He had these taken and then he returned.

He was finally called to a window (about 2+ hours after his appointment time) where he spoke to a man. The window was in the main waiting room...there was no privacy...he had just watched a woman get sent away because her paperwork had her married name but her passport did not have her married name. The man had his file in a bright pink folder. He asked:

When did you meet?
-July 2000
You were there on a J1, were you in school?
-No, I was there as a golf instructor for a summer camp.
Okay. How long have you been together?
-We met in June 2000, but we became a couple on July 1, 2000. I stayed for the length of my visa. She lived with my family for 5 months and I've been to visit her about 9 times and she's visited about 8 times.
Okay. When do you plan to get married?
-Then end of January.
Where are you going to live?
-In Harrisburg.
Where in Harrisburg?
-Off ------ Road.
Wow, really, I grew up in Camp Hill (directly across the river from Harrisburg). Where are you going to work?
-######
On the West shore?
-No, the have a branch on the east shore on ------ Road.
That's great.

He then proceeded to tell him that everything was in order except....

My fiance's middle name is Fredrick. On his passport it is spelled Fredrick. On his police cert and his birth cert, it is spelled Frederick. Due to the extra "e" he hwas to get a new passport with the name spelled the same. Can you believe it! Thinking on it now, I can. He gave him an appointment for next Friday. He said if the passport is changed then he will be issued the visa.

He called the passport office and explained the situation. They said that if he brought in 2 passport pictures and a passport form first thing in the morning and asked to speak to asupervisor that he should have a new passport that same afternoon.

It looks like we're okay, just a little delayed but it's still very frustrating!! So close yet held back by and "e". My fiance didn't get the name of the person he spoke to so I hope then when he goes in next week there is some notation in his file so he doesn't have to go through the whole process again.

I guess we learned our lesson, too bad all of his documents will say Frederick and he's spelled it his entire life as Fredrick!

Hopefully next week I'll be able to post another K1 approval.

Thanks everyone for the advice you be able to provide thus far!!!

MarDae
Old Dec 11th 2003, 4:21 pm
Charlie Tuna

CharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Almost Good News from Dublin K1 Interview

Wow, the poor guy had a nerve wrecking day huh.
Hopefully though, the passport issue will easily be resolved and next Friday we will be seeing a *we got it* post from you.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 4:27 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MarDae
My fiance had his K1 interview today in Dublin. We "thought" that we had everything in order. We've only briefly spoken and he was a little hurried but this is the gist of what happened.

Damn passport , Everything went fine girlie, he only needs a new passport . Awww Congrats!!!

Ps: Good thing I got a new passport prior filing (My lastname had an extra A lol)

Hyper.. Waiting to post dancing smilies I wanna party so hurry up on getting that bad boy visa

Last edited by Hypertweeky; Dec 11th 2003 at 4:33 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 4:43 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations MarDae! I know it's not as good as you would have like it to be. But it could have been a lot worse. We'll look forward to your post and give you lots of dancing smilies.

Leslie
Old Dec 11th 2003, 5:22 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Flaming spelling! I'm sure it'll all be great and no further probs. Any idea when he'll be travelling out to be with you?
Old Dec 11th 2003, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

He arrived at the consulte 20 min before his interview and read a sign that stated that the embassy does not accept cash and he needed to get a postal order or bank draft. None of this was written in any of the forms that he had received from the embassy. He ran to the nearest bank and waited in line only to be told that since he did not have an account they would not be able to give him a bank draft even though he had the cash to give them. He then ran 1/2 mile to the nearest branch of his bank and was finally able to get a bank draft for the 90 euro fee.

He arrived back at the consulate and qued until he was allowed inside. He then gave his paperwork to a woman inside at a counter. She told him that she didn't have copies of his DS-156 etc and he said that he had mailed them in. She said they never received them with which he countered, then how did they schedule my interview if they never received them? She ignored this and made him fill out another set of forms. She then questioned the tax return I had given him for 2002 since it was below the 125% FPIG. He then said that he had my letter from my employer stating my current salary and two recent pay stubs to support that salary. She said "I guess that will do." She then told him that the 3/4 pictures he provided were the wrong ones, he then produced the picture information sheet he had received in his packet 3 that specifically required 3/4 pictures. She said that it was wrong and sent him accross the street to get front view photos. He had these taken and then he returned.

He was finally called to a window (about 2+ hours after his appointment time) where he spoke to a man. The window was in the main waiting room...there was no privacy...he had just watched a woman get sent away because her paperwork had her married name but her passport did not have her married name. The man had his file in a bright pink folder. He asked:

When did you meet?
-July 2000
You were there on a J1, were you in school?
-No, I was there as a golf instructor for a summer camp.
Okay. How long have you been together?
-We met in June 2000, but we became a couple on July 1, 2000. I stayed for the length of my visa. She lived with my family for 5 months and I've been to visit her about 9 times and she's visited about 8 times.
Okay. When do you plan to get married?
-Then end of January.
Where are you going to live?
-In Harrisburg.
Where in Harrisburg?
-Off ------ Road.
Wow, really, I grew up in Camp Hill (directly across the river from Harrisburg). Where are you going to work?
-######
On the West shore?
-No, the have a branch on the east shore on ------ Road.
That's great.

He then proceeded to tell him that everything was in order except....

My fiance's middle name is Fredrick. On his passport it is spelled Fredrick. On his police cert and his birth cert, it is spelled Frederick. Due to the extra "e" he hwas to get a new passport with the name spelled the same. Can you believe it! Thinking on it now, I can. He gave him an appointment for next Friday. He said if the passport is changed then he will be issued the visa.

He called the passport office and explained the situation. They said that if he brought in 2 passport pictures and a passport form first thing in the morning and asked to speak to asupervisor that he should have a new passport that same afternoon.

It looks like we're okay, just a little delayed but it's still very frustrating!! So close yet held back by and "e". My fiance didn't get the name of the person he spoke to so I hope then when he goes in next week there is some notation in his file so he doesn't have to go through the whole process again.

I guess we learned our lesson, too bad all of his documents will say Frederick and he's spelled it his entire life as Fredrick!

Hopefully next week I'll be able to post another K1 approval.

Thanks everyone for the advice you be able to provide thus far!!!

MarDae

I'm glad everything else went ok....
Congrats.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 5:34 pm
Charlie Tuna

CharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of light

Dutch,

Are you sure you carried forward enough of the initial post

Originally posted by dutchman2001nl
I'm glad everything else went ok....
Congrats.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karen D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud of

Hey MarDae

Theey leike to keeep yoeu on yoeur toees heey? So veery cloese now, hoew excieting (I threw in a couple of extra e's for you, just to be on the safe side!)

I hope your fiancé didn't have too far to travel to the Embassy, and I wish you both a speedy experience next Friday.

The "congratulations" are just waiting to roll for you guys! :PARTY:
Old Dec 11th 2003, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CharlieS
Dutch,

Are you sure you carried forward enough of the initial post
What do you mean, Charlie?
Old Dec 11th 2003, 6:19 pm
Charlie Tuna

Can't remember now, I've eaten since I posted it

Originally posted by dutchman2001nl
What do you mean, Charlie?
Old Dec 11th 2003, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

MarDae will become famous soon enough

Thanks everybody for the encouragement. I (we) really need it right now. This is just one of those things that when you tell people who are on the outside who know nothing about immigration they just look at you dumbstruck and say, "you're kidding, right?"

That was actually the reaction of the guard when my fiance came out and the guard asked how it went (since he had been there for 3 hours and I guess not many other people had). The guard actually said he should go back in and tell them to f--k themselves. My fiance rightly replied,"My fiancee would kill me" (boy was he right...that would not have gone over well...although I might have felt the same way myself )

I just spoke to my Irishman again and he said that the man at the window said that he wished he could issue it today but that further down the line if this wasn't fixed he would run into problems so he wanted to make sure everything left this stage correct. That made me feel better since he didn't tell me before that the man actually said if not for the passport "lack of e" that he would have the visa.

I'll keep everyone posted.

MarDae

Side note...I just realized my birth cert has a different name than everyother official document I have, SS card, passport etc! I have two middle names and the second one is *only* on my birth cert and no where else. Boy am I glad that I'm not immigrating!! They'd have a heyday (sp?) with my documentation! LOL

Last edited by MarDae; Dec 11th 2003 at 6:29 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 9:04 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve had this issue come up before in cases, and I always check the names on the passport and foreign birth record carefully (plus against the spelling on other documents such as divorce decrees) to try to avoid this problem. I would imagine that other attorneys with experience would have likely spotted this issue as well.

If your fiancé’s birth record spells it Frederick, than “that� is his middle name, not Fredrick. It’s a good thing he had his police certificate done using the correct name. If it had been done using his misspelled middle name, it would likely need to be redone again.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

ire blues will become famous soon enoughire blues will become famous soon enough

Good news MarDae!! Thanks for the update on Dublin. It is good to know that they only accept postal orders or a bank draft...

Not long now til the Irishman is over here with you