Reload this Page >

Affidavits to accompany I-130

Affidavits to accompany I-130

Old Sep 18th 2012, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

catsutton14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Affidavits to accompany I-130

Hi there,

So when submitting additional documentation as evidence my husband and I are going to have to do the affidavits affirmed by third parties who have personal knowledge of our relationship.

I was just wondering how many we should get written? We don't want to do too few, but don't want to come across as obnoxious by getting a huge number of people writing them?

Thanks,

Cat
Old Sep 18th 2012, 7:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affidavits to accompany I-130

Why are you doing any???????????????????

Originally Posted by catsutton14
Hi there,

So when submitting additional documentation as evidence my husband and I are going to have to do the affidavits affirmed by third parties who have personal knowledge of our relationship.

I was just wondering how many we should get written? We don't want to do too few, but don't want to come across as obnoxious by getting a huge number of people writing them?

Thanks,

Cat
Old Sep 18th 2012, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Should we not? The guide says we should submit 'one or more of the following documents'....http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-130instr.pdf

It's the only one we can do, other than J (any other relevant documentation to show there is an ongoing marital union)

What has everyone else done?

Thanks Cat x
Old Sep 18th 2012, 7:46 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Why? You have nothing to document your life together? Note that affidavits are next to last on the list of suggested documentation, followed only by "any other relevant documentation".
How ever many make you feel comfortable. There is no established number.
I was just wondering how many we should get written?
Regards, JEff
Old Sep 18th 2012, 7:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Thanks,

Cat
Affdavits are the weakest form of evidence, so if you have other paper evidence, you don't need the affidavits.

If you have nothing else at all, then 2 or 3 affidavits will be enough.

Don't forget, these need to be from people who not necessarily witnessed or were in attendance at the wedding....the marriage certificate proves you're married....these need to be from people who spend time with you and your husband as a married couple in daily life. The affidavit should be specific about this, citing dates and activities or events where they observed you as a married couple.

Rene
Old Sep 18th 2012, 8:01 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I did G and J. Documentation of a bank account, of insurance policies, of family memberships in museums, the zoo, the symphony, etc.

What joint activities do you and your husband participate in? Document them.

Regards, JEff

What has everyone else done?
Old Sep 18th 2012, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Well hubby and I have never had a chance to live in the same country. We've worked at the same summer camp the last 5 summers together...could we get something from there?

We don't have a bank account together, nor children, etc. We've only just finished school earlier this year

We have plenty photos of us having traveled together....for example photos of us visiting Australia, Scotland, parts of America, London. Would that be good enough to show we are legit? Lol.

Cat x
Old Sep 18th 2012, 9:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You're not alone...many newlyweds don't have proof of a joint life together yet. Yes, a few photos together plus the affidavits should be OK. Don't include the summer camp stuff because it doesn't show a joint life together after marriage, which is what USCIS is looking for.

Rene
Old Sep 18th 2012, 9:38 pm

Ah, newlyweds? USCIS will not expect you to have much documentation since there is not yet much to document. Still, now that you are married, get started co-mingling your finances unless you have a good reason not to.

Regards, JEff

Well hubby and I have never had a chance to live in the same country. We've worked at the same summer camp the last 5 summers together...could we get something from there?

We don't have a bank account together, nor children, etc. We've only just finished school earlier this year
Old Sep 18th 2012, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you guys!

Regarding mingling finances, what's the best way to go about that? Can he add me to his bank account in the US? I'm from the UK and my bank won't let us have a joint account unless he is present and here to sign for it! (Which he is unable to do)
Old Sep 18th 2012, 9:49 pm

That will be up to individual bank policy, but if the bank he's currently at won't do it he should be able to find a bank that will. I and many others added our foreign spouses to our bank accounts while they were still in their home countries waiting to immigrate.

Regards, JEff

Regarding mingling finances, what's the best way to go about that? Can he add me to his bank account in the US?
Old Sep 18th 2012, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you guys!

Regarding mingling finances, what's the best way to go about that? Can he add me to his bank account in the US? I'm from the UK and my bank won't let us have a joint account unless he is present and here to sign for it! (Which he is unable to do)
My husband was able to add me to his without me being there. I had to provide scans of my passport and driving license and then they sent a form for both of us to sign and fax back.

Other financial/finance related documents we sent were his life insurance policy showing me as the primary beneficiary and a copy of the general power of attorney which allows me to act on his behalf in all matters (financial included).
Old Sep 18th 2012, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Excellent, thank you so much!