Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Affidavit of support...yet ANOTHER ? Help?

Affidavit of support...yet ANOTHER ? Help?

Old Jan 20th 2003, 5:34 am
Just Joined

bikinikitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Affidavit of support...yet ANOTHER ? Help?

My situation.....

I am a USC living in Austtralia for the last 2.5 years. I am in the process of breinging my australian husband back to the state with me ans we plan to do it by DCF in sydney.

i am confused with form I-864, the affidivit of support. Now, i DO NOT have sufficiant income as his sponsor and realize that i will need to get a joint sponsor, who meets the same requirements, which i have done, so that is not a problem.

My Question is....::: on the affidavit of support I (the sponsor) am meant to put my individual income and employment. I have not worked while living in australia (i am a housewife), so my husband earns the income. Is this going to be a problem? I mean is the Joint Sposors income alone acceptable.(yes, they do meet 125% of poverty level for there entire household AND the applicant) or do i have to have SOME sort of personal income?
Thanks in advance!!
Old Jan 20th 2003, 11:38 am
Ticket To Us

Default Re: Affidavit of support...yet ANOTHER ? Help?

In article ,
bikinikitty wrote:
    > My Question is....::: on the affidavit of support I (the sponsor) am
    > meant to put my individual income and employment. I have not worked
    > while living in australia (i am a housewife), so my husband earns the
    > income. Is this going to be a problem? I mean is the Joint Sposors
    > income alone acceptable.(yes, they do meet 125% of poverty level for
    > there entire household AND the applicant) or do i have to have SOME sort
    > of personal income?

I think you are referring to a CO-sponsor instead of a joint sponsor. At
any rate, yes, as long as their income is sufficient for their own
household AND the intending immigrant, it matters not that you have no
income.
--
US Ticket

Old Jan 20th 2003, 1:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bikinikitty
My situation.....
My Question is....::: on the affidavit of support I (the sponsor) am meant to put my individual income and employment. I have not worked while living in australia (i am a housewife), so my husband earns the income. Is this going to be a problem? I mean is the Joint Sposors income alone acceptable.(yes, they do meet 125% of poverty level for there entire household AND the applicant) or do i have to have SOME sort of personal income?
Thanks in advance!!

Yes you need to complete an I-864 as well. On your AOS you can put your income "0" and your husband's income "$". As a member of the household for more than six months, his income is includable. Also as a married couple your assets are usually joint. You can list those on your AOS.

Rete
Old Jan 20th 2003, 6:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bikinikitty
My situation.....

I am a USC living in Austtralia for the last 2.5 years. I am in the process of breinging my australian husband back to the state with me ans we plan to do it by DCF in sydney.

i am confused with form I-864, the affidivit of support. Now, i DO NOT have sufficiant income as his sponsor and realize that i will need to get a joint sponsor, who meets the same requirements, which i have done, so that is not a problem.

Thanks in advance!!
bikinikitty,
Listen to Rete, she got it in one. My alien husband and I completed our DCF this year under similar circumstances (search my posts for details). I had -zero- income for the year in question and was interviewed about my potential income in the US, to their satisfaction. My husband was also able to contribute his income and assets as we had been co-householding for 6 months+.

For *everyone* out there who's under the poverty guidelines for now or any of the past three years, I offer my opinion, which is:

"they" are interested in you future income potential, in order that your alien not become a public charge. If you've been a student, or traveling, you have a valid reason for a low income. Tell 'em what your *going* to do in the future!