Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Affidavit of Support!! Need Help soon.

Affidavit of Support!! Need Help soon.

Old Jan 22nd 2003, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

ben2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Affidavit of Support!! Need Help soon.

Hi,

I'm applying for green card through marriage (I'm on F-1 Visa, my wife is US citizen) and have a few questions on Form I-864. Please help if you can.

My wife doesn't work and I haven't lived in the house for 6 months yet (so, my income can't be included in I-864). But, my wife can show assets with a cash value more than five times the minimum income requirement (5 X $14,925 for 2 people), as written in the "Evidence of Assets" part of form I-864.

My questions are:

1. Will it be okay, if she writes "zero" income and only gives the assets amount? Will it make me ineligible for the green card?

2. If it is okay, my next question is, is the assets amount (5 times the min requirement= around $75,000 for 2 ppl) sufficient?

3. I have got form I-864p wich says "2002 Poverty guideline". Did it change in the year 2003? Is the new form available? If yes, what is the 125%of poverty Line for 2 people?

Please let me know,

Thanks,
Binayak
Old Jan 22nd 2003, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

ben2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Affidavit of Support!! Need Help soon.

As I didn't get any reply and I'm filing the forms this week, I'm posting this message again.

Please help!!

Thanks

Originally posted by ben2
Hi,

I'm applying for green card through marriage (I'm on F-1 Visa, my wife is US citizen) and have a few questions on Form I-864. Please help if you can.

My wife doesn't work and I haven't lived in the house for 6 months yet (so, my income can't be included in I-864). But, my wife can show assets with a cash value more than five times the minimum income requirement (5 X $14,925 for 2 people), as written in the "Evidence of Assets" part of form I-864.

My questions are:

1. Will it be okay, if she writes "zero" income and only gives the assets amount? Will it make me ineligible for the green card?

2. If it is okay, my next question is, is the assets amount (5 times the min requirement= around $75,000 for 2 ppl) sufficient?

3. I have got form I-864p wich says "2002 Poverty guideline". Did it change in the year 2003? Is the new form available? If yes, what is the 125%of poverty Line for 2 people?

Please let me know,

Thanks,
Binayak
Old Jan 23rd 2003, 6:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affidavit of Support!! Need Help soon.

Originally posted by ben2
Hi,

My questions are:

Please let me know,

Thanks,
Binayak
Q1: Yes, She can use assets only. I did. She may want to include a letter of explanation.

Q2: Yes. Be sure to document ownership and value of assets.

Q3: If there is a 2003 update, it's not on the DOJ website. I'm sure the totals will be close to 2002.