Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Affidavit of Support for a Fiancee Visa??

Affidavit of Support for a Fiancee Visa??

Old Feb 26th 2007, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affidavit of Support for a Fiancee Visa??

Not sure if you have the same thing, but I came across the 2007 guidelines available now. http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/07poverty.shtml.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Not sure if you have the same thing, but I came across the 2007 guidelines available now. http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/07poverty.shtml.
By all means, use the 2007 guidelines that are now evidently available.

Rene
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:48 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
By all means, use the 2007 guidelines that are now evidently available.

Rene
Near as dammit look at the Alaska figures for the 125% figure
for mainland use
Old Feb 26th 2007, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I came across the 2007 guidelines available now. http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/07poverty.shtml.
Great info! Be aware that the numbers in this link represents the *100%* poverty level. For USCIS purposes you need to multiply that number by **1.25** to arrive at the correct level for immigration purposes.

Ian
Old Feb 26th 2007, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Great info! Be aware that the numbers in this link represents the *100%* poverty level. For USCIS purposes you need to multiply that number by **1.25** to arrive at the correct level for immigration purposes.

Ian
Thanks Ian, I was aware of that, I should have mentioned it. Since we currently have a poster with a fiance in the military - do I remember correctly, it is only 100% for them?
Old Feb 27th 2007, 12:16 am
-James

Thanks for your replies. I have thought about doing just that, taking a second job. The problem with that is that most second
jobs around here require me to work weekends, and that would cut into time with my children. Most weeknights would also cut
into missing soccer games, and other things my children participate in. I should be getting a raise soon at my current job,
so I may close that gap. As far as assets, would my car which i own outright and is worth 7,000 count?

Yeah I figured that my children would count regardless, I was hoping someone would say that if I dont claim them on my taxes,
they wouldnt count against my income. The question I have is, all the I-134 asks for is their names and their relationship to
me. They dont ask for the amount paid per month, or anything that may be owned in arrears.

>By my calculation you are about $300 away from making the required
>$25,000/year. ($22k income + $2700 in veterans/disability benefits >$24,700.) May I suggest taking a modest second job just until your
>future wife starts adding income to the household? Or if you can show
>3x the amount of the shortfall (3 x $300 = $900) in cash or stocks or
>another very liquid asset, that will count also (in theory).
>
>Oh and your kids count as part of your household size even if you don't
>get to list them as dependents on your taxes. USCIS doesn't give a
>ratsass about what you get to do with the IRS, they care that you have
>people who depend on you for financial support.

--

.................................................. ...........
> Posted thru AtlantisNews - Explore EVERY Newsgroup <
> http://www.AtlantisNews.com -- Lightning Fast!!! <
> Access the Most Content * No Limits * Best Service <

Old Feb 27th 2007, 1:35 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by -James
As far as assets, would my car which i own outright and is worth 7,000 count?
It might. You'd have to prove that you can sell it for that amount of money, and provide the paperwork showing it's paid off. You'll be using the new 2007 figures for your I-134 when the time comes, and it says for a family of 4 you need to earn $25,813. You currently earn $24,700, making you short $1,113. You need assets equal to 5x that amount, which is $5,565. Your car is worth more than that, so you might be OK. But it's up the officer at the interview whether they will allow it or not. I'd have a joint sponsor lined up just in case they say no.

The question I have is, all the I-134 asks for is their names and their relationship to
me. They dont ask for the amount paid per month, or anything that may be owned in arrears.
That's correct. They don't need to know how much you pay, only that you have financial dependents.

Rene
Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure you can use your car. If you had to sell your car to support your immigrant spouse, you would not be able to get to work etc. This is what the instructions to I-864 have to say about using assets, specifically a car:

"Assets may supplement income if the consular or immigration officer is convinced that the monetary value of the asset could reasonably be made available to support the sponsored immigrant and converted to cash within one year without undue harm to the sponsor or his or her family members. You may not include an automobile unless you show that you own at least one working automobile that you have not included."

If at all possible I think a raise at work or a second job would be the best option. Failing that you should probably line up a joint sponsor for at least the I-134 portion.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody can correct me but I was under the impression that the person sponsoring the K-1 doesn't have to be the person who is sponsoring the affidavit of support. I know somebody who had her parents do the affidavit for her (now) husband because she was a student and had no job, it wasn't a joint sponsorship either. I though as long as whoever signs the affidavit makes enough.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Somebody can correct me but I was under the impression that the person sponsoring the K-1 doesn't have to be the person who is sponsoring the affidavit of support. I know somebody who had her parents do the affidavit for her (now) husband because she was a student and had no job, it wasn't a joint sponsorship either. I though as long as whoever signs the affidavit makes enough.
That's not my understanding. My understanding is the the USC filing the I-129F MUST be the sponsor, even if they dont' meet the income requirements. If they do not, then they can get a joint sponsor to help out.

Rene
Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it was a joint sponsorship. I'll have to check what they did for sure.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I was under the impression...
Sorry, your impression is incorrect.

Ian
Old Mar 9th 2007, 8:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Sorry, your impression is incorrect.

Ian
Sorry, can't leave it hanging.

For a K visa, the I-129f petitioner is not required to be the I-134 Sponsor. I-134 doesn't allow for "joint sponsors" (I-864 does). Duncan's impression is correct, at least for the visa phase. Some Consular Officers will require an I-134 from the petitioning fiancee even if the results are insufficient, as well as an I-134 from a qualifying person ('qualifying' also varies by Consular post).
In fact, I-134 may not be required at all (and let's not forget that some K immigrants can 'self sponsor').

More than one way to skin a cat....