Reload this Page >

Affidavit of support advice and moving with teenagers

Affidavit of support advice and moving with teenagers

Old May 6th 2019, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Corrine82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Affidavit of support advice and moving with teenagers

Hi thank you for all your advice so far this forum has been a godsend
I am a year behind schedule but finally sent my I-130 off for my Husband and 2 teenage children to London.

i am a dual citizen my father is American my mum was British . I spent first few years of my life in Florida then my parents broke up and my mum moved back to UK with me when I was under 5 so I have never lived or worked in US since.

We are moving to Florida to be close to my US family.
I am looking through the next step getting prepared

I have sent off for my husbands ARCO

printed list of immunisations will check with DR for kids and husband
do we need health records ?

do the children have to have Medicals ? Can we all go to the medical and interview together ?

I am getting up up to date with TAX and FBARs at this moment ready for next step I have enlisted help from US tax advisors as wasn’t aware till last year this had to be done - how do I get the tax overviews ?

With the I864 and 2 I864 W for my children I won’t have a job till I have moved so Income on my last tax returns was made in the UK
I do however have savings in the bank over $100,000 will this be ok can anyone confirm the amount I will need and would this be ok ?
The money I have we are planning to rent for a year get jobs then put a very large chunk down on house and hopefully after a year our credit scores would improve to get rest in mortgage ?

Anything else I should be doing now ?

Sorry for all the questions this is a very scary but exciting time for us look forward to all your helpful advice

Old May 6th 2019, 9:38 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affidavit of support advice and moving with teenagers

Just making sure you sent a separate I-130 each for husband and 2 kids. Three I-130s in all. Correct?

Go to www.uscis.gov, Form 1-864P, to see how much is needed in assets for a family of 4.

Questions re tax and credit should be asked in the general USA forum.

Yes, the kids will need medical exams. Hopefully the I-130s get processed together and the family can attend the same interview.

Thanks!

Rene
Old May 6th 2019, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Rene yes I have sent 3 envelopes I130 and I130 A for husband and I130 for each child separately sent all on same day everything crossed they are processed together thank you I will look at the link you shared
Old May 6th 2019, 12:23 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

$32,187 for a family of 4, so 3x that is $96,561.

You'll just squeak by on assets, assuming you don't need to use any of it before the interviews.
Old May 6th 2019, 12:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
$32,187 for a family of 4, so 3x that is $96,561.

You'll just squeak by on assets, assuming you don't need to use any of it before the interviews.
As the children will become US Citizens once they enter with their approved I-130 visas, I wonder if there will be less stringency on the examiner in regards to the I-864 for the children. Isn't there a similar, but different, affidavit that should be used for the kids?

Anyway, you said you have over $100K so the point is moot.

Last edited by Rete; May 6th 2019 at 12:39 pm.
Old May 6th 2019, 12:30 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't have thought there is any leeway on this, since in fact and law the children are not USCs until they enter the US. The Officer is making a determination on visa eligibility (and therefore financial sponsorship) at that point in time, not what might be the case in the future.

That's my take anyway.

Anyway, you said you have over $100K so the point is moot.
​​​​​​​Agreed
Old May 6th 2019, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

I keep reading so much on forums and online USC looks like I will pass with assets in savings but there are so many mixed responses ie all aimed at somebody already living and working in the US so all gets confusing.
With the I864W for children does that still mean full $32,187 I can see I need to claim social security for the children once they get passport and enter US as they are over 12 and will then get tax break ?
Old May 6th 2019, 12:49 pm
Often not so civil...

It does seem that filing that form would mean them being excluded from the calculation.

How are you going to 'claim social security for the children'? I am not quite sure what that means. They will qualify fo SS themselves when they have worked the requisite number of quarters in the future.

The 'tax break' that you are referring to is something that you claim at the end of the tax year when filing, make sure when you being working you have the correct number of withholds claimed so you don't overpay. If you have questions about tax withholding please post a new thread in the main forum as this forum is for visa questions only.
Old May 6th 2019, 1:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The children will become USCs, yes, but I imagine they still count in the household size. Better to count them and let the ConOff decide for sure.

Rene
Old May 6th 2019, 2:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Corrine82
I keep reading so much on forums and online USC looks like I will pass with assets in savings but there are so many mixed responses ie all aimed at somebody already living and working in the US so all gets confusing.
With the I864W for children does that still mean full $32,187 I can see I need to claim social security for the children once they get passport and enter US as they are over 12 and will then get tax break ?
I know it has already been answered but jumping from one website forum to another is not always beneficial. Don't confuse yourself with visas where the USC is stateside and visas where the USC is abroad (which is your case). The information/requirements can be different.

Children who enter the US as permanent residents are eligible for a social security number/card. That number is needed for registering for school, getting a driver's license (along with the green card and/or I-551 in their passport) and for the parent(s) to claim them on their tax returns for certain credits, etc. Of course, as US citizens, which you children will become once they have the I-551 stamp in their passport, they will require and will be eligible immediately to get a social security number/card. In fact they might be able to apply for it simply by ticking the appropriate box on their paperwork which is being filed for the visa. This applies to your husband, as well.

Unless the child has income of their own over a certain amount, they will not file individual tax returns and will be included on their parents' return only. Unlike the UK, there are no monthly child benefits available to children in the US. There are no allowances, etc. Have you approached this situation with a review of the entire process involved in the I-130 and the subsequent workings once approved and you enter the US? It really helps to have a clear understanding of the entire scenario before going further or asking questions piecemeal. Why? Because one question has several answers depending on your situation. Such as "Do you have a social security number/card?" Needed for filing your taxes.
Old May 6th 2019, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
I know it has already been answered but jumping from one website forum to another is not always beneficial. Don't confuse yourself with visas where the USC is stateside and visas where the USC is abroad (which is your case). The information/requirements can be different.

Children who enter the US as permanent residents are eligible for a social security number/card. That number is needed for registering for school, getting a driver's license (along with the green card and/or I-551 in their passport) and for the parent(s) to claim them on their tax returns for certain credits, etc. Of course, as US citizens, which you children will become once they have the I-551 stamp in their passport, they will require and will be eligible immediately to get a social security number/card. In fact they might be able to apply for it simply by ticking the appropriate box on their paperwork which is being filed for the visa. This applies to your husband, as well.

Unless the child has income of their own over a certain amount, they will not file individual tax returns and will be included on their parents' return only. Unlike the UK, there are no monthly child benefits available to children in the US. There are no allowances, etc. Have you approached this situation with a review of the entire process involved in the I-130 and the subsequent workings once approved and you enter the US? It really helps to have a clear understanding of the entire scenario before going further or asking questions piecemeal. Why? Because one question has several answers depending on your situation. Such as "Do you have a social security number/card?" Needed for filing your taxes.
Thanks Rete
Makes sense I have an appointment tomorrow at US embassy to get my social security number as I was never issued one