Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Advise would be good ........ I feel like im going nuts

Advise would be good ........ I feel like im going nuts

Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

dreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud of
Unhappy Advise would be good ........ I feel like im going nuts

Fiancee Visa applied for in Nebraska (obviously the slowest of the four processing centres). I just wonder on average, and as a rough guide how long it takes from start to finish to get my fiancee visa, and is there anything I can do or say to help it move a little quicker????
I know Im not the only one trying to marry their loved one, but blimey, what a stressful time. My fiance comes over end of September and I really wanted to be able to go back with him, but I guess thats not too likely having read some of the letters on here. I just wondered if anyone had any positive experiences or any handy hints on how maybe I could get things moving a bit quicker??

Dreamchaser
Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:24 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advise would be good ........ I feel like im going nuts

Originally Posted by dreamchaser
Fiancee Visa applied for in Nebraska (obviously the slowest of the four processing centres). I just wonder on average, and as a rough guide how long it takes from start to finish to get my fiancee visa, and is there anything I can do or say to help it move a little quicker????
I know Im not the only one trying to marry their loved one, but blimey, what a stressful time. My fiance comes over end of September and I really wanted to be able to go back with him, but I guess thats not too likely having read some of the letters on here. I just wondered if anyone had any positive experiences or any handy hints on how maybe I could get things moving a bit quicker??

Dreamchaser
You do not give enough information in order to try to answer your question.

What country are you coming from? When did your fiance file the petition? Has he received any notice of action yet?

If you are from the UK, the process will probably take approximately 6 months from start to finish, assuming you have an uncomplicated case (ie, no criminal history, no overstays, etc.).

As for speeding things up, you can start assembling the items necessary for your end of the process. Get copies of your long-form birth cerificate. Send off for your police record. Get your vaccinations topped up and/or get a letter from your GP verifying what vaccinations you've already had. Get photos taken for your visa and AOS. Get your fiance to send you the completed I-134 Affidavit of Support. Basically get everything ready to go so that when you finally get that packet from the Consulate, you can send back your completed checklist and don't have to wait around for this document or that.

~ Jenney
Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:25 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Theres nothing you can do! One thing to bear in mind though is that once your file moves from Nebraska they all move at the same place. Mine took 6 months start to finish.

Yes it is a stressful time, but it will soon go. Try and do all the things that you can there, see your friends and family that you won't be able to for a while.

Chin up.
alan

Dreamchaser
Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

dreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud of
Red face Re: Advise would be good ........ I feel like im going nuts

Sorry,

I live in the UK and my fiance is American. We got the notice on 28th June that they had the forms, and that it would take between 80-110 days to process. I have all the documents needed, Police (Subject Access Form), Birth Certificate (long ones) Divorce Papers, etc for myself and also my son.

I have to say I am finding the whole experience quite stressful, my son's school is pushing for a date so they know when he will be leaving, the hospital and GP are reluctant to give me medical records before I have a date, and my fiance really wanted me to go back with him beginning of October, which, like I said, reading reports here, is highly unlikely.

We wanted to get wedding arrangements underway also, but again without any firm date, we are struggling. And i feel like I am going nuts. I feel like I am having to put my life on hold, while we try to sort stuff out, thats why I wondered if there was anything I could do to move things a bit quicker.

Thank you for your reply also.

Dreamchaser
Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:42 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry,

I live in the UK and my fiance is American. We got the notice on 28th June that they had the forms, and that it would take between 80-110 days to process. I have all the documents needed, Police (Subject Access Form), Birth Certificate (long ones) Divorce Papers, etc for myself and also my son.

I have to say I am finding the whole experience quite stressful, my son's school is pushing for a date so they know when he will be leaving, the hospital and GP are reluctant to give me medical records before I have a date, and my fiance really wanted me to go back with him beginning of October, which, like I said, reading reports here, is highly unlikely.

We wanted to get wedding arrangements underway also, but again without any firm date, we are struggling. And i feel like I am going nuts. I feel like I am having to put my life on hold, while we try to sort stuff out, thats why I wondered if there was anything I could do to move things a bit quicker.

Dreamchaser
You need to calm down.

In the grand scheme of things, 6 months is nothing.

If you are going nuts over this, how will you cope with all the upheaval and the unaccustomed things that you are going to encounter once you move to the US?

All the best
Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Normal every day things, that I have some kind of control over do not bother me, and I am very orgainised. But this, because in order to try and complete just one task on my list, often requires the response from USCIS, means I still have so many things undone. And you're right 6 months isnt too long to wait, in the grand scheme of things, but it doesnt make this time any easier. I don't just have myself to try and organise, I have to do everything twice over for my son, so at times, I feel like I'm going nuts.

We also contemplated going down the route of getting married when he gets here in September and then going through the 'spouse' route, but I believe that takes even longer, so for now, I take comfort from know that people here, know exactly how it feels.

Dreamchaser
Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry,

Dreamchaser
Unfortunately, these restrictions are part and parcel of the visa path you've chosen. It's still the fastest way to get *to* the US legally. Hop over to the USA forum here at BE to start a list of all the things you *should* be enjoying while still in the UK. It will soon become clear how many things you'll miss once you're in the US
More seriously, those wants don't come up for everyone.. I know many Brits, including mine, who don't have a single complaint about living in the US.

As for son's school: so what? You don't have to give them a date.. I can't imagine what impact it will have on them. Tell them you'll let them know as soon as you know. USCIS and the Dept of State advice you not to make any plans before you actually get your visa: plane tix, quitting jobs, letting the housing go etc
Hospital and GP can give you a copy of your own medical records, surely? What does your timeline have to do with having a copy of your file?
Finally, MrFiance could've looked into it a bit more, or filed earlier. There hasn't been a 3 month I-129f approval out of Nebraska in my lifetime, and that's not counting your visa application. It just wasn't realistic and you'll all be a lot happier if you just let go of that notion.

One thing I don't see mentioned is any custody order for your son. You'll be asked for evidence that he has permission from his father to emmigrate.

I'd say: hang in there! If you start fussing now, you'll go bonkers Pack a case of your heavy groceries that you can't live without and send them home with the fiance in the fall. You'll die when you see what $5 worth of Marmite looks like over here!
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:04 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry,

Dreamchaser
My K1 took 8 months from start to finish and went through Nebraska
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Advise would be good ........ I feel like im going nuts

I wonder why on earth they tell people 80-110 days in Nebraska, if they know that they cannot meet these deadlines.

Thanks for your reply, I have started sending a few things in the post to my fiance (just a few personal keepsakes) so that I dont have to try and cram them into my two suitcases. As for stuff I may miss, I cant think of anything off hand and I am sure I will settle into a new life fine. My fiance makes me laugh so much and is so considerate, I am sure things will be fine.

The school and hospital stuff, threw me a bit, especially as they were not helpful at all but I am pursuing them over this. As for the house and stuff, well I have had to start getting rid of some of my belongings, otherwise I would be here forever trying to get rid of them, a three bedroom house is a lot of stuff and junk to get rid of.....

As for my son, he is 15 and I have had totaly custody of him since birth, I did however, get my ex-husband to sign a document that says he has never had custody, never contested the custody hearing and also that there is no custody hearing pending, and that he has no objecting to me taking my son to the US either, so I am hoping that will be ok.

Dreamchaser
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:16 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder why on earth they tell people 80-110 days in Nebraska, if they know that they cannot meet these deadlines.
That quote is for them to process and approve you application the rest of the process is not included in that time scale.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:17 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Just looked at the paperwork

Wife sent K1 application March 5th 2003
Dated received March 10th 2003
London Embassy letter recieved October 28th 2003
K1 issued December 18th 2003

They were quoting 150 to 180 days at the time

Good luck :-)
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Advise would be good ........ I feel like im going nuts

I have to say, thank you to all that are writing to me, it really has helped.

I also have another wonder???? Once the application is approved at Nebraska, does that mean effectively that I have been approved, and that we can start and make a few tentative plans, (I know there would still be a way to go until the end, but i was just wondering)

And also, I did get photo's done in one of those passport photo booths, but according to the US Embassy (London) website, they have to be a certain size, where can i get these taken???? Or would the passport booth type be ok?

Dreamchaser
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say, thank you to all that are writing to me, it really has helped.

I also have another wonder???? Once the application is approved at Nebraska, does that mean effectively that I have been approved, and that we can start and make a few tentative plans, (I know there would still be a way to go until the end, but i was just wondering)

And also, I did get photo's done in one of those passport photo booths, but according to the US Embassy (London) website, they have to be a certain size, where can i get these taken???? Or would the passport booth type be ok?

Dreamchaser
There's 2 parts to a family-based application:

First, the US citizen makes a petition to the USCIS, in your case it's I-129f. This petition proves his citizenship and relationship to (a foreigner) and that you otherwise qualify--in this case must have met in the past 2 years and be free to marry. That's basically it. There are just a lot of these petitions and you have to wait in line for your turn at 15 minutes of the officer's time to approve/deny.
When the petition is approved, the USC is notified by what's commonly called NOA2. The result of a 'go' with the petition is that the foreign citizen (you) now has permission to apply for a visa.

It's still too early to make firm plans because you won't know how many people are in line in front of you.

Nebraska (USCIS) will forward your approved petition to the Dept of State. they have a preclearing house in the US called the NVC/National Visa Center. Your petition will blow through there in about 2 days and be sent to London *in its turn*. Petitions aren't sent individually, but in batches.

When London gets your file, they enter it into their system and once that's done (2-3 weeks), they will notify *you* by sending you a list of items to collect for your interview, and a notice to send back to them telling them that you have all the required documents. This is sometimes still called by its old name of "Packet 3". If you're ready ahead, you can send this in the return post. And wait.

Within X # of weeks (where X is completely unknown and you can't find out because schedules change and they are dealing with many, many visa types so please don't fret on that) you'll get another letter from London telling you how to get your medicals done, and when your interview appointment is. This is sometimes still called by its old name of Packet 4.

There is no Packet 1 or 2.

You can start making plans when you know your date, but you are very much advised not to make plans with financial impact (ha ha, right) until you have the visa. While most people get their visa within a couple of days of the interview, enough people don't as to make me cautious.

The photo specs are here: http://travel.state.gov/passport/guide/guide_2081.html
Links and more info on the bottom left menu.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:58 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry,

Dreamchaser

It is a terribly stressful time and your life is on hold. Take a few deep breaths.

Now, the school can only have the information that you have. Tell them that you will keep them informed and then forget it.

With the doctors they are talking out of their arse! Sorry for the language but it's a pet peeve of mine. My doctor told me I wasn't allowed to see my medical notes. I submitted a formal request under the Data Protection Act and he had to cave in. Took several days. You can get the information you need here:
http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidan...411&chk=wsrEF9

It seems like a long time now but it will seem like having been no time at all once your here. And don't forget you need to start looking at how you will get your belongings out here. have alook at the USA forum for shipping information. And don't forget to stock up on all the things you might miss when you get here. You could start a few threads asking for advice on what you might need to be doing while your waiting. Hanging out here makes it seem a little more bearable. You could put up a post here asking if anyone is going through the same centre as you or got a similair timeline, that makes it easier when you can correspond with someone in the same position as you.

But, at the end of it all the waiting is terrible but it's not forever.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the kind support. I feel much better about things knowing that others know what i am going through.

Do they ask for any kind of evidence or support that we have met or anything, as there is nothing on the website to indicate this,m and i just wanted to make sure i have everything they may ask for in advance

Dreamchaser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.