Wikiposts

Advise needed

Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

Tommylee is just really niceTommylee is just really niceTommylee is just really niceTommylee is just really niceTommylee is just really niceTommylee is just really niceTommylee is just really niceTommylee is just really nice
Default Re: Advise needed

Originally Posted by californian
Re. dysfunction . . . I had said the same thing, Ian, but I suppose this isn't a family life/counciling forum its an Immigration forum. As more of this story unravels (the GF's mother has children by multiple men . . . the *Step Dad* has a nasty divorce behind him) all I can think about is what is this seemingly intelligent, very young man getting himself into? But again, its not my place to explain what I know about the Immigration law and policies.

Based on the quote you've provided, Tracy, I don't Ian think is mistaken . . . I think you and I might have been wrong to begin with --- *any dependent children under the age of 21* and *other dependents listed on your tax return*, seems to imply that their can be dependent children who were not on your tax return. And if the dysfunction pattern continues and Step Dad has kids with his ex then those kids count as well. If this is the case the OP's GF's Mom's BF is going to have quite a few people in his household.
This really isnt about anyone but me and her..that's all im trying to think about but yes those factors of dysfunctional family may come into it, but no family is perfect..and those that seem it..mmm prolly strange fellows

All i need to determine if that really is the case. Surely by dependant meaning that of related children of the sponsor...

On another note, it wont be hard for us finding a sponsor who meets the requirements and income levels, we have friends and other family members who are willing to help

Last edited by Tommylee; Jul 14th 2008 at 1:40 am.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tommylee
This really isnt about anyone but me and her..that's all im trying to think about but yes those factors of dysfunctional family may come into it, but no family is perfect..and those that seem it..mmm prolly strange fellows

All i need to determine if that really is the case. Surely by dependant meaning that of related children of the sponsor...

On another note, it wont be hard for us finding a sponsor who meets the requirements and income levels, we have friends and other family members who are willing to help
That is what I am thinking - I do not believe the other children will count, as he is not related to them and is not married to their mother. Sounded like Ian might have agreed - we'll see if he comes back and says so (he's one of our experts btw, far more so than I).

I would strongly suggest you use an attorney for this one in any case - and they will figure out the dependants thingy.

It does sound like you can do the K-1 perhaps, but not the AOS. However, I think what the original attorney was suggesting, is that you might have difficulty getting a K-1 approved.

Most Americans (perhaps including those working at the embassy) are not going to approve of this relationship - and I'm not sure what your odds of the visa approval are.

That said, I am no attorney - I really think you need one.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

californian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tracym
It does sound like you can do the K-1 perhaps, but not the AOS. However, I think what the original attorney was suggesting, is that you might have difficulty getting a K-1 approved.

Most Americans (perhaps including those working at the embassy) are not going to approve of this relationship - and I'm not sure what your odds of the visa approval are.
Getting married at 16 is definitely not the done thing. Many will disapprove but whether or not they can find legal justification to deny you a visa is another story.

That said, I am no attorney - I really think you need one.
Ditto. You'll need a good one. US based attorneys are certainly going to be cheaper but if you're going to be the one principally sorting things out you might prefer to get someone in the UK.

This is true . . . and it isn't my place or that of any one else to judge you!

One would think but I could certainly see the argument being made that if your fiance's Mom doesn't work then her BF actually is responsible for her and her children as well. A second joint sponsor (or even someone else entirely) might be neccesary --- but it sounds like that won't be a problem.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Not true. Everyone, regardless of age, must be included in the household size *if* they live in the same household... whether included as dependents or not on a tax return. For example, if the girl's grandmother lives in the house, she might not be listed as a dependent on a tax return, but must be included as a member of the household for the I-864.
This is exactly what I was going to point out. I didn't think it matters who claims who on a the tax return. If they all live under the same roof, they are all part of the same household is my understanding of how household size is determined, plus if the sponsor has children under the age of 18 that he/she helps to support, then they have to be included too.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Jul 14th 2008 at 2:11 am.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by californian
One would think but I could certainly see the argument being made that if your fiance's Mom doesn't work then her BF actually is responsible for her and her children as well. A second joint sponsor (or even someone else entirely) might be neccesary --- but it sounds like that won't be a problem.
Just because you live with (or even sleep with) someone, and they don't work doesn't make you responsible for them though. He is free to walk away from the mother and her unrelated children anytime he wants, so I do not think he is resposible for them.

Unless there is some common-law marriage in place, which is unlikely.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
This is exactly what I was going to point out. I didn't think it matters who claims who on a the tax return. If they all live under the same roof, they are all part of the same household is my understanding of how household size is determined.
That is not what the I-864 regulations said though, I posted them above.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

That is not what the I-864 regulations said though, I posted them above.
You could be right, but all the advice I've ever read on here about how to calculate household size has always been to include everyone who lives under the same roof, plus any dependent children who do not live with you. As Ian said, if grandma lives in the same house, even with her own income, you would include her on the AOS because she lives under the same roof.

To get clarification though, he defo needs to go to a consulation with an attorney.

By the way, Tommy, even if you have 2 co-sponsors (i.e. your wife, plus 2 more), each co-sponsor must qualify individually. So you cannot add up all their incomes to sponsor you. If each sponsor has a household of 3 (including you) then they must make enough for a household of 3 according to the guidelines.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You could be right, but all the advice I've ever read on here about how to calculate household size has always been to include everyone who lives under the same roof, plus any dependent children who do not live with you. As Ian said, if grandma lives in the same house, even with her own income, you would include her on the AOS because she lives under the same roof.

To get clarification though, he defo needs to go to a consulation with an attorney.

By the way, Tommy, even if you have 2 co-sponsors (i.e. your wife, plus 2 more), each co-sponsor must qualify individually. So you cannot add up all their incomes to sponsor you. If each sponsor has a household of 3 (including you) then they must make enough for a household of 3 according to the guidelines.
But Ian also said (I think) that he might be mistaken. Grandma might be able to be claimed as a dependant on a tax return, she would be a relative.

In any case, whatever we've seen on here, I would go by what the I-864 instructions say unless there is a compelling reason to think otherwise.

Just because someone lives with you does not mean they are dependant upon you - the other children are dependants of their mother imo, not of the unrelated b/f.

We agree however, a lawyer is needed in general for this case.

Not sure why a person would have more than one co-sponsor (I thought that was generally if there were more than one immigrant). And just to clarify, the wife does not need to qualify for income - we already know she does not, and the co-sponsor must.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:23 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

The SR is really a whole differnt subject, but doesnt make sense when you think about the fact that marriage is perfectly legal at 16 and then age of consent laws dont even come into it once married...
Sorry, but I have to say that what immediately came to mind when I read this was the case of the guy who DID get charged -- and convicted -- for having sex with his 14-year-old girlfriend, who he then married:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Koso

She had consent from her parents to marry, too, but that didn't make a difference. He still served time in prison for it.

~ Jenney
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:28 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Ok will forget the sr issue.. one less thing to worry about and no her parents love me its all good, her mother considers me a son.

He has two children with her mother that are his. My gf is not the child of the mothers bf, her real father pay's child support for her and her two other sisters.

Will the state benifits have any effect on her being the main sponsor or otherwise or will it help?

I imagine the real father of her child to be born will prolly be made to work to pay child support.

Also note: He is renting the current place they live.

I should probably also add, marriage at 16-17 in wisconsin requires "parental" consent.

Also will note that the bf is not married to her mother due to long drawn out settlements and divorce.
Going back to an earlier post I made if she puts your name on the birth certificate your paying for the child, he is not going to be paying anything, exactly what happened to my exhusband he married a pregnant lass and within 2 years they were divorced, but he had to pay support and has done so for the past 17 years.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not sure why a person would have more than one co-sponsor (I thought that was generally if there were more than one immigrant). And just to clarify, the wife does not need to qualify for income - we already know she does not, and the co-sponsor must.

I don't know why you would need one either, I just mentioned because the OP said something about multiple people are willing to help sponsor him. Just wanted to make sure he was clear on the fact that every sponsor had to individually qualify (if for some odd reason he used more than one) and you couldn't add the incomes up.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Sorry, but I have to say that what immediately came to mind when I read this was the case of the guy who DID get charged -- and convicted -- for having sex with his 14-year-old girlfriend, who he then married:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Koso

She had consent from her parents to marry, too, but that didn't make a difference. He still served time in prison for it.

~ Jenney
Yes, but in that case the guy was sleeping with her before they married. We were discussing what the OP could de after he was married. If the OP is sleeping with her before marriage, I would strongly suggest he NOT say so on an internet forum (tho I suspect he has that much sense).

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Going back to an earlier post I made if she puts your name on the birth certificate your paying for the child, he is not going to be paying anything, exactly what happened to my exhusband he married a pregnant lass and within 2 years they were divorced, but he had to pay support and has done so for the past 17 years.
I was wondering about that - if the (jailed) b/f's name is not on the birth certificate, does he have any rights? Although due to the SR charge, I suspect it's already on record.

Another good one for an attorney, although a family law attorney in that case. She might easily qualify for a free consult there from a legal aid attorney, as a sixteen-year-old "crime victim" with no income.

I don't know why you would need one either, I just mentioned because the OP said something about multiple people are willing to help sponsor him. Just wanted to make sure he was clear on the fact that every sponsor had to individually qualify (if for some odd reason he used more than one) and you couldn't add the incomes up.
Right, good point - he might have been considering adding another sponsor to make up for lack of income, and you are most correct there, that won't work.

I think generally two co-sponsors are used if the immigrant has a child, and the co-sponsors can only afford to add one to the household - thus one co-sponsor for the immigrant, another co-sponsor for the immigrant child for example.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

californian is an unknown quantity at this point

I was wondering about that - if the (jailed) b/f's name is not on the birth certificate, does he have any rights? Although due to the SR charge, I suspect it's already on record.
I believe the OP stated that the father will most likely be paying child support (possibly will be forced to do so, as he doesn't want anything to do with the child). With this in mind, he will have rights (like those you discussed earlier about being able to keep his child w/in 100 miles), although he probably won't be too interested in them.

OP also discussed adopting the child when/if he becomes a citizen --- thereby the father, if agrees, would reliquish any rights he does have.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 3:10 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but in that case the guy was sleeping with her before they married. We were discussing what the OP could de after he was married. If the OP is sleeping with her before marriage, I would strongly suggest he NOT say so on an internet forum (tho I suspect he has that much sense).
But if the OP's name ends up on the baby's birth certificate, though, then by default he's considered the baby's "father," right -- unless they also plan on having a DNA test done to confirm that he's NOT the father. And wouldn't that then complicate things further if he's listed on the birth certificate?

I'm no expert, but it seems like he's treading very close to quicksand, in my opinion.

~ Jenney
Old Jul 14th 2008, 3:16 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
But if the OP's name ends up on the baby's birth certificate, though, then by default he's considered the baby's "father," right -- unless they also plan on having a DNA test done to confirm that he's NOT the father. And wouldn't that then complicate things further if he's listed on the birth certificate?

I'm no expert, but it seems like he's treading very close to quicksand, in my opinion.

~ Jenney
My Ex had the DNA test done not that it was needed, but it did nothing for him in the court room, the tests were not done until years after the divorce and if I remeber rightly you have a 2 years grace period from the time of birth to contest the child support based on the birth certificate...
After that 2 years your cooked and paying for the child, this was in Illinois and maybe state law not federal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.