Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Advice needed on best visa for marriage to USC

Advice needed on best visa for marriage to USC

Old Dec 4th 2012, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

leadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to all
Default Re: Advice needed on best visa for marriage to USC

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I know. But if you search around some more, maybe on the US Embassy website, somewhere it says 12 months, and that is the one that the US Embassy goes by.

Rene
Police Certificates: Required for all countries where you have lived for more than 12 months since the age of 16. Present and former residents of the United States should NOT obtain any police certificates covering their residence in the U.S.

http://london.usembassy.gov/application_documents.html

The further on their website it confilcts with (paraphrasing) a police certificate for every country you have lived in for 12 months or more since 16 years old.

Then,

A visa applicant who has resided in the United Kingdom for 6 months or more since the age of 16

http://london.usembassy.gov/document...ce_certificate

So I guess someone needs to check the US embassy in Sydneys website for their rules?

Sorry to confuse it!
Old Dec 4th 2012, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

ginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the rough

She has lived in OZ for 3 years so will definitely need Police clearance.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

leadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to all

and he'll be a US PR upon entry to the USA?

Rene
SHE will be
Old Dec 4th 2012, 2:50 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

When one asks "how long does it take", one really does need to specify the starting point and the ending point. For the purpose of my comments, I will define the starting point as today and the ending point as when the visa is issued.

1. For an immigrant visa, we used to say 8-10 months from when the I-130 petition is filed until the visa is issued, if all goes smoothly, but USCIS has recently changed the processing of stand-alone I-130 filings (which would be the case here) and there's little anecdotal evidence yet to know if this change will shorten or lengthen the petition processing time. The change will likely make petition processing times more variable, depending on which USCIS field office does the processing. Also, add how much time it will take from today to get married and submit the I-130 petition.

2. For a K1 fiance(e) visa, typically 6-8 months from when the I-129f petition is filed until the visa is issued. Add how much time it will take from today to submit the I-129f petition. There will be an additional step after entry to the USA to become a PR, but remember that I defined the end point as when one enters the USA.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by ginstwin
1.Should they get married asap either in OZ or in the USA (does it matter?) and file for a spouse visa? If so roughly how long would that take.

2. Should they file now for a K1 and then marry in the USA ? How long does it take roughly?
Old Dec 4th 2012, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

ginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the rough

In general, an immigration attorney is not needed for a straighforward K-1 or Immigrant Visa process. But if they really want to use one, I'd go with a US-based one.

How about if they go ahead and have a civil marriage while here in the USA next week? Then they can go ahead with the Immigrant Visa process, and he'll be a US PR upon entry to the USA? Yes, that process takes about 8 to 10 months, rather than the 8 months or so for the K-1...but does away with the need to adjust status after entry.

Rene
I think they would be more comfortable using a lawyer just to guide them a little. The firm i used for my EB5 are very good and efficient but not cheap!

Thats an interesting thought Rene. So basically the benefit of marrying now would be upon getting visa approval and entering the US she could work almost immediately as against waiting 3 months ish for work permit?

But both routes will take 6-8 months .
Old Dec 4th 2012, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
When one asks "how long does it take", one really does need to specify the starting point and the ending point. For the purpose of my comments, I will define the starting point as today and the ending point as when the visa is issued.

1. For an immigrant visa, we used to say 8-10 months from when the I-130 petition is filed until the visa is issued, if all goes smoothly, but USCIS has recently changed the processing of stand-alone I-130 filings (which would be the case here) and there's little anecdotal evidence yet to know if this change will shorten or lengthen the petition processing time. The change will likely make petition processing times more variable, depending on which USCIS field office does the processing. Also, add how much time it will take from today to get married and submit the I-130 petition.

2. For a K1 fiance(e) visa, typically 6-8 months from when the I-129f petition is filed until the visa is issued. Add how much time it will take from today to submit the I-129f petition. There will be an additional step after entry to the USA to become a PR, but remember that I defined the end point as when one enters the USA.

Regards, JEff

Thats really helpful Jeff.

After waiting more than double the "expected" time for my I-526 approval (EB5) i know exactly what you are saying.
I think they are just trying to get in an organised position as early as possible as against getting into a huge panic up later in the process.

Well at least they know the options available now.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 3:03 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

To clarify the 6-months v. 12-month requirements for police certificates:
9 FAM 42.65 N1 BASIC DOCUMENT REQUIREMENTS(CT:VISA-1459; 07-30-2010)
INA 222(b) (8 U.S.C. 1202(b)) requires that an applicant applying for an immigrant visa (IV) submit the following documentation, if available:
(2) A copy of the police certificate for the country of nationality and country of the alien's residence at the time of visa application in which the applicant has resided for six months or more;
(3) A copy of police certificates for any other country in which the applicant has resided for one year or more;

Understand that the law, in this case the INA, is not changed by erroneous information posted on internet web sites, even if those web sites are created and maintained by US government agencies.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by leadinglight
thanks for helping iron out the wrinkles Rene! i did though think that it was any country of 6 months or more but i stand corrected (and Australia applies in any case!)

I WAS right!:

"Police certificates from your present country of residence and all countries where you have lived for 6 months or more since age 16 (Police certificates are also required for accompanying children age 16 or older)"

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...es_2994.html#6

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Dec 4th 2012 at 3:07 am.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 3:12 am

She could provided that she could almost immediately find an employer to hire her - a not insignificant detail that often goes unmentioned. It's not unusual for a job search to take many months.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by ginstwin
So basically the benefit of marrying now would be upon getting visa approval and entering the US she could work almost immediately as against waiting 3 months ish for work permit?
Old Dec 4th 2012, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

She could provided that she could almost immediately find an employer to hire her - a not insignificant detail that often goes unmentioned. It's not unusual for a job search to take many months.

Regards, JEff
Her industry is such that she is able to freelance but your comment is 100% correct and needs to be taken into consideration when calculating benefits of one visa v another and timelines etc etc
Old Dec 4th 2012, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

To clarify the 6-months v. 12-month requirements for police certificates [...]
Thanks, JEff!