Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

advanced parole routinely denied in NYC?

Wikiposts

advanced parole routinely denied in NYC?

Old Jun 19th 2002, 6:20 am
Chris Parker

Default Re: advanced parole routinely denied in NYC?

[email protected] (Greg Namin) wrote in message
    > All the replies are much appreciated. Our plan now is to send a certified letter to
    > INS NYC to inquire about the status of my wife's AOS. Will also inquire about the
    > AP. Will ask for a congressman's help if the above measures fail to get a favorable
    > response.

From what I've read from others since my initial post, it seems to me like they
denied your application because it didn't include a copy of the adjustment filing
receipt; it was denied because of missing required initial evidence!

FYI - Learning about this unscrupulous manner of accepting and processing Advance
Parole applications, I've now sent a copy of the filing receipt and issued work
permit to NYC INS by certified mail to add to my I131 application for Advance Parole
processing as additional evidence. We'll see if that helps at all to get this travel
document issued rather than denied when they finally adjudicate.

CP

Old Jun 19th 2002, 6:20 am
Chris Parker

> A refund??? FROM THE INS???????
    >
    > BWWAAAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Oh man, that was a good one!!
    >
    > Thanks. I needed that!

Don't know, but I do know INS has provided for fee refunds in the past when they
changed regulations to permit something that was previously disallowed under the
prior regulations and caused a denial (the law remaining unchanged). This is similar
in some respects.

Headquarters is the only part of the agency which would possibly consider processing
a refund (the field takes money in only). Combine that with pressure from Congressmen
and you might just get it.

CP

Old Aug 16th 2002, 9:59 am
Strike

Hi! I'm actor Troy McClure. You may remember me from such threads as 'advanced parole
routinely denied in NYC?' and 'Greg Namin: tasty but deadly.'

>Here's the scenario:
    >- you submitted your AOS, AP and EAD requests altogether to INS New York City.
    >- you get a receipt for all three payments.
    >- your EAD is approved, but your AP is denied on the grounds that INS doesn't have
    > any record of you having submitted an AOS.
    >- INS tells you that if you submit another AP request, you'll have to pay
    > another $95.
    >Has this happened to you? I'm putting together a tally of how many people this has
    >happened to. Seems like something fishy's going on in INS NYC. Please reply here.
    >My email isn't working.

This just happened to me today. 4 months after filing AOS, EAD and AP all at the same
time, I today recieved a denial for AP based on no evidence of an AOS application,
despite the fact that I received an appointment for EAD a couple of weeks back.

So:

- 120 days after filing, I get a denial of AP on dubious grounds.
- My appointment for EAD is in October, some 170 days after filing.

Not quite the 90 day timeframe I had been led to believe.

Good job, NYC INS.

Marco

Old Aug 17th 2002, 3:04 am
Michael

Is there no way you can go down there and dispute this? Seems very unfair,
especially if they're wanting you to pay the application fee again!

"Strike" <s@NcU> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi! I'm actor Troy McClure. You may remember me from such threads as 'advanced
    > parole routinely denied in NYC?' and 'Greg Namin: tasty but deadly.'
    > >Here's the scenario:
    > >- you submitted your AOS, AP and EAD requests altogether to INS New York City.
    > >- you get a receipt for all three payments.
    > >- your EAD is approved, but your AP is denied on the grounds that INS doesn't have
    > > any record of you having submitted an AOS.
    > >- INS tells you that if you submit another AP request, you'll have to pay
    > > another $95.
    > >
    > >Has this happened to you? I'm putting together a tally of how many people this
    > >has happened to. Seems like something fishy's going on in INS NYC. Please reply
    > >here. My email isn't working.
    > >
    > This just happened to me today. 4 months after filing AOS, EAD and AP all at the
    > same time, I today recieved a denial for AP based on no evidence of an AOS
    > application, despite the fact that I received an appointment for EAD a couple of
    > weeks back.
    > So:
    > - 120 days after filing, I get a denial of AP on dubious grounds.
    > - My appointment for EAD is in October, some 170 days after filing.
    > Not quite the 90 day timeframe I had been led to believe.
    > Good job, NYC INS.
    > Marco

Old Aug 17th 2002, 3:40 am
Strike

Hi! I'm actor Troy McClure. You may remember me from such threads as 'Re: advanced
parole routinely denied in NYC?' and 'Michael: tasty but deadly.'

>Is there no way you can go down there and dispute this? Seems very unfair,
    >especially if they're wanting you to pay the application fee again!

I haven't really decided what to do yet - I only got the letter yesterday so haven't
had a chance to discuss it with my lawyer and formulate a response. I'll certainly
advise the group of the outcome. The thing that doesn't give me a lot of hope is the
big bold type at the bottom of the denial letter saying 'YOU CANNOT APPEAL THIS
DECISION.' Arse.

In the meantime, I would suggest to all NYC AOS filers that you wait to get the
receipt for AOS filing and then include it in a later AP application. This cockup
seems to have happened to too many people on the group for it to be a conincidence -
obviously some INSdroid is not connecting the dots properly in NYC.

Cheers,

Marco

Old Aug 19th 2002, 2:07 am
Chris Parker

> In the meantime, I would suggest to all NYC AOS filers that you wait to get the
    > receipt for AOS filing and then include it in a later AP application. This cockup
    > seems to have happened to too many people on the group for it to be a conincidence
    > - obviously some INSdroid is not connecting the dots properly in NYC.

It is unclear if this helped in my case or not, but when I read this thread here two
months ago, I sent a photocopy of the filing receipt and EAD to NYC INS as
"additional evidence of eligibility." They issued us the AP in July, approximately
four months from filing in March 2002. I'd certainly recommend that anyone else who
already filed for AP this way do the same thing (can't hurt).

From what I'm reading, it seems NYC INS has been routinely denying these AP's for
those who filed I-131 with I-485 just prior to the fee change in February 2002. It
also has been processing these applications slower (although this could be because
this was a peak filing period). I guess it is their way of getting the new, higher
fee from these folks for all their applications.

CP