Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

advanced parole routinely denied in NYC?

Wikiposts

advanced parole routinely denied in NYC?

Old Jun 12th 2002, 9:20 am
Greg Namin

Default advanced parole routinely denied in NYC?

Here's the scenario:
- you submitted your AOS, AP and EAD requests altogether to INS New York City.
- you get a receipt for all three payments.
- your EAD is approved, but your AP is denied on the grounds that INS doesn't have
any record of you having submitted an AOS.
- INS tells you that if you submit another AP request, you'll have to pay
another $95.

Has this happened to you? I'm putting together a tally of how many people this has
happened to. Seems like something fishy's going on in INS NYC. Please reply here. My
email isn't working.

-Greg

Old Jun 12th 2002, 11:06 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advanced parole routinely denied in NYC?

I only recall that happening once. Was that you? If you have the receipt showing all three payments, then go there and demand your A/P for the amount already submitted. If you get no satisfaction, call your congressperson's immigration department and get them on the case.

We had two A/Ps from NYC and nary a problem getting or using either one of them

R
Old Jun 12th 2002, 6:24 pm
Nipidoc

[email protected] (Greg Namin) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > Here's the scenario:
    > - you submitted your AOS, AP and EAD requests altogether to INS New York City.
    > - you get a receipt for all three payments.
    > - your EAD is approved, but your AP is denied on the grounds that INS doesn't have
    > any record of you having submitted an AOS.
    > - INS tells you that if you submit another AP request, you'll have to pay
    > another $95.
    >
    > Has this happened to you? I'm putting together a tally of how many people this has
    > happened to. Seems like something fishy's going on in INS NYC. Please reply here.
    > My email isn't working.
    >
    > -Greg

Exact same thing happened to me. Had to shell out another $95

nipidoc

Old Jun 13th 2002, 12:20 am
Andy Platt

Yes, but that's not just NYC. A number of INS offices do not accept AP filed with the
I-485 application. Of course, they should reject it, not take your money and run and
I would be fighting to get them to process the AP document.

Contact your representatives.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Greg Namin"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Here's the scenario:
    > - you submitted your AOS, AP and EAD requests altogether to INS New York City.
    > - your EAD is approved, but your AP is denied on the grounds that INS doesn't have
    > another $95.
    >
    > Has this happened to you? I'm putting together a tally of how many people this has
    > happened to. Seems like something fishy's going on in INS NYC. Please reply here.
    >
    > -Greg

Old Jun 13th 2002, 3:27 am
Chris Parker

> Here's the scenario:
    > another $95.
    >

Was your adjustment application abandoned between the time you got your EAD and they
adjudicated the Advance Parole application? That would terminate the Adjustment
application and cause the Advance Parole to be denied. Do you have any idea why they
might want to deny your adjustment?

Or, it could be something simple like they processed the wrong Alien # for the AP
application. Your EAD based on 8 CFR 274a(c)(9) is also a photo-receipt that you were
an adjustment applicant on the date it was issued. You've got to find out the status
of your case since then, probably using a Congressman.

CP

PS: I'd like to know how you resolve this, since I have an I-131 application pending
in NYC right now also and we just got the EAD. No word yet about the AP, but my
understanding is soon that'll be ready.

Greg Namin

Yup, that was me for my wife and yes, we have the receipt for all three payments:
AOS, AP and EAD. It's fishy that the EAD went through, but not the AP. Nipidoc is now
one other person that that has happened to. That makes three that I know of. One
other person transfered out of state since. There's a post in this newsgroup
somewhere. BTW, we did submit a second AP request with a copy of the receipt,
highlighting the fact that we had already paid. This time, the request was denied,
not because we didn't have any evidence of the AOS, but because we didn't pay a
second time. That's why I think something fishy's going on in INS NYC.

-Greg

[email protected] (nipidoc) wrote in message
    > [email protected] (Greg Namin) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > > Here's the scenario:
    > > - you submitted your AOS, AP and EAD requests altogether to INS New York City.
    > > - you get a receipt for all three payments.
    > > - your EAD is approved, but your AP is denied on the grounds that INS doesn't
    > > have any record of you having submitted an AOS.
    > > - INS tells you that if you submit another AP request, you'll have to pay another
    > > $95.
    > >
    > > Has this happened to you? I'm putting together a tally of how many people this
    > > has happened to. Seems like something fishy's going on in INS NYC. Please reply
    > > here. My email isn't working.
    > >
    > > -Greg
    >
    > Exact same thing happened to me. Had to shell out another $95
    >
    > nipidoc

Sanli

I just submitted my AOS, EAD application to INS New York City about 2 weeks ago.
Before I submitted my application, I went to a Immigration Advocacy center. People
there told me I should NOT submit AP(I-131) application with the rest of AOS forms.
They told me to send in AP after I get the receipt from INS. I'm still waiting for
the receipt.

I guess INS process AP after AOS and EAD, at least here in NYC.

How long did it take for you to receive EAD? Did it really take 4 months?? When
should I expect to receive the AOS receipt? Also, I thought the fee for i-131 is
$110, why $95?

Many thanks.

[email protected] (nipidoc) wrote in message
    > [email protected] (Greg Namin) wrote in message
    > > Here's the scenario:
    > > - you submitted your AOS, AP and EAD requests altogether to INS New York City.
    > > - your EAD is approved, but your AP is denied on the grounds that INS doesn't
    > > - INS tells you that if you submit another AP request, you'll have to pay another
    > > $95.
    > >
    > > Has this happened to you? I'm putting together a tally of how many people this
    > > has happened to. Seems like something fishy's going on in INS NYC. Please reply
    > >
    > > -Greg
    >
    > Exact same thing happened to me. Had to shell out another $95
    >
    > nipidoc

Old Jun 13th 2002, 3:47 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Greg

I wouldn't think fishy but definitely someone in that godforsaken office is the weakest link in the chain. From what I know when you petitions are received they are gone through by one person who enters the fees into the register, generates that little cash register receipt and mails it out to you. The petitions are then separated and go off to different departments for processing. But your A# should be on them and they should link up in the computer. It sounds like three out of hundreds of thousand found this missing link in the office.

Heck if it were me, I would take all the paperwork, go to the third floor, get permission to enter the A/P area and then talk with a supervisor.

R
Old Jun 13th 2002, 7:23 am
Greg Namin

All the replies are much appreciated. Our plan now is to send a certified letter
to INS NYC to inquire about the status of my wife's AOS. Will also inquire about
the AP. Will ask for a congressman's help if the above measures fail to get a
favorable response.

Thanks to all, Greg&MaryJo

[email protected] (Chris Parker) wrote in message
news:<[email protected] om>...
    > > Here's the scenario:
    > > $95.
    > >
    >
    > Was your adjustment application abandoned between the time you got your EAD and
    > they adjudicated the Advance Parole application? That would terminate the
    > Adjustment application and cause the Advance Parole to be denied. Do you have any
    > idea why they might want to deny your adjustment?
    >
    > Or, it could be something simple like they processed the wrong Alien # for the AP
    > application. Your EAD based on 8 CFR 274a(c)(9) is also a photo-receipt that you
    > were an adjustment applicant on the date it was issued. You've got to find out the
    > status of your case since then, probably using a Congressman.
    >
    > CP
    >
    > PS: I'd like to know how you resolve this, since I have an I-131 application
    > pending in NYC right now also and we just got the EAD. No word yet about the
    > AP, but my understanding is soon that'll be ready.

Old Jun 13th 2002, 7:23 am
Greg Namin

> > Here's the scenario:
    > > $95.
    > >
    >
    > Was your adjustment application abandoned between the time you got your EAD and
    > they adjudicated the Advance Parole application? That would terminate the
    > Adjustment application and cause the Advance Parole to be denied. Do you have any
    > idea why they might want to deny your adjustment?

We submitted my wife's AOS, AP and EAD requests together on the 2nd week of July last
year, the week after we got married. We were able to get our marriage certificate
that quickly. About two and a half weeks after we sent the documents, we got a
receipt in the mail with my wife's alien registration number correctly annotated
showing payment for AOS, AP & EAD. About a month after that we got the first AP
denial letter. Reason: no AOS on file. A few days after September 11, we got a letter
saying that my wife was to report to INS NYC for her EAD on September 28, the first
day they would reopen after 9-11. My wife got her EAD that same day. We decided that
she should go to the AP department since she was already in INS to resubmit the AP.
She was told "no submissions in person are accepted". It would have to be sent via
mail. We FedEx'ed the AP request the following Monday. About a month later, we got a
letter saying that the 2nd AP request was denied because we didn't pay the $95 again,
not that my wife's AOS wasn't on file. We submitted that 2nd AP request along with a
copy of the payment receipt only. Go figure.

-Greg

>
    > Or, it could be something simple like they processed the wrong Alien # for the AP
    > application. Your EAD based on 8 CFR 274a(c)(9) is also a photo-receipt that you
    > were an adjustment applicant on the date it was issued. You've got to find out the
    > status of your case since then, probably using a Congressman.
    >
    > CP
    >
    > PS: I'd like to know how you resolve this, since I have an I-131 application
    > pending in NYC right now also and we just got the EAD. No word yet about the
    > AP, but my understanding is soon that'll be ready.

Old Jun 13th 2002, 9:20 am
Donna Maindraul

In article <[email protected]> , [email protected]
(Sanli) wrote:

> I just submitted my AOS, EAD application to INS New York City about 2 weeks ago.
    > Before I submitted my application, I went to a Immigration Advocacy center. People
    > there told me I should NOT submit AP(I-131) application with the rest of AOS forms.
    > They told me to send in AP after I get the receipt from INS. I'm still waiting for
    > the receipt.
    >
    > I guess INS process AP after AOS and EAD, at least here in NYC.

We submitted them all together in Aug. 2000. The EAD was issued in Oct., and the AP
in late Jan 2001. We didn't receive anything telling us that there were any problem;
just the appointment letter. That's a remarkably long time for it to take, though.

-Donna

Old Jun 13th 2002, 10:20 am
Chris Parker

> Yes, but that's not just NYC. A number of INS offices do not accept AP filed with
    > the I-485 application. Of course, they should reject it, not take your money and
    > run and I would be fighting to get them to process the AP document.
    >
    > Contact your representatives.

If this is going to be happening to me soon also, well, I'll be sending my letter to
all three representative (representative and 2 senators), to I.N.S. complaint
headquarters in Washington DC, and to the Dept. of Justice Inspector General office,
and include in the letters a request for a fee refund to be processed. Recommend
everyone else do so too.

CP

PS: Just out of curiousity, were these denied applications filed with the old $95 fee
or the new $110 fee? I paid $110 after the fee change am still waiting to receive
the pick-up notice.

Old Jun 13th 2002, 10:20 am
Chris Parker

> Yes, but that's not just NYC. A number of INS offices do not accept AP filed with
    > the I-485 application. Of course, they should reject it, not take your money and
    > run and I would be fighting to get them to process the AP document.
    >
    > Contact your representatives.

If this is going to be happening to me soon also, well, I'll be sending my letter to
all three representative (representative and 2 senators), to I.N.S. complaint
headquarters in Washington DC, and to the Dept. of Justice Inspector General office,
and include in the letters a request for a fee refund to be processed. Recommend
everyone else do so too.

CP

PS: Just out of curiousity, were these denied applications filed with the old $95 fee
or the new $110 fee? I paid $110 after the fee change am still waiting to receive
the pick-up notice.

Old Jun 13th 2002, 5:20 pm
Greg Namin

[email protected] (Sanli) wrote in message
    > I just submitted my AOS, EAD application to INS New York City about 2 weeks ago.
    > Before I submitted my application, I went to a Immigration Advocacy center. People
    > there told me I should NOT submit AP(I-131) application with the rest of AOS forms.
    > They told me to send in AP after I get the receipt from INS. I'm still waiting for
    > the receipt.
    >
    > I guess INS process AP after AOS and EAD, at least here in NYC.
    >
    > How long did it take for you to receive EAD? Did it really take 4 months?? When
    > should I expect to receive the AOS receipt? Also, I thought the fee for i-131 is
    > $110, why $95?

Back in July 2001, the following fees applied: AOS = $200 AP = $95 EAD = $100
fingerprinting = $25

The fees must have gone up by now.

-Greg

>
    > Many thanks.
    >
    >
    >
    > [email protected] (nipidoc) wrote in message
    > > [email protected] (Greg Namin) wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > > > Here's the scenario:
    > > > - you submitted your AOS, AP and EAD requests altogether to INS New York City.
    > > > - you get a receipt for all three payments.
    > > > - your EAD is approved, but your AP is denied on the grounds that INS doesn't
    > > > have any record of you having submitted an AOS.
    > > > - INS tells you that if you submit another AP request, you'll have to pay
    > > > another $95.
    > > >
    > > > Has this happened to you? I'm putting together a tally of how many people this
    > > > has happened to. Seems like something fishy's going on in INS NYC. Please reply
    > > > here. My email isn't working.
    > > >
    > > > -Greg
    > >
    > > Exact same thing happened to me. Had to shell out another $95
    > >
    > > nipidoc

Old Jun 17th 2002, 2:20 pm
Nipidoc

> > Yes, but that's not just NYC. A number of INS offices do not accept AP filed with
    > > the I-485 application. Of course, they should reject it, not take your money and
    > > run and I would be fighting to get them to process the AP document.
    > >
    > > Contact your representatives.
    >
    > If this is going to be happening to me soon also, well, I'll be sending my letter
    > to all three representative (representative and 2 senators), to I.N.S. complaint
    > headquarters in Washington DC, and to the Dept. of Justice Inspector General
    > office, and include in the letters a request for a fee refund to be processed.
    > Recommend everyone else do so too.
    >
    >
    > CP
    >
    > PS: Just out of curiousity, were these denied applications filed with the old $95
    > fee or the new $110 fee? I paid $110 after the fee change am still waiting to
    > receive the pick-up notice.

A refund??? FROM THE INS???????

BWWAAAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Oh man, that was a good one!!

Thanks. I needed that!

nipidoc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.