Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

advanced parol - good for how long?

advanced parol - good for how long?

Old Feb 25th 2004, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

no-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really nice
Default advanced parol - good for how long?

How long is advance parol good for once it is granted?
Does someone have to reapply for it?
Old Feb 25th 2004, 5:44 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advanced parol - good for how long?

Originally posted by no-spam
They issue 3-month and 1-year AP's. And if you want to leave again after it expired you will have to file for another one.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 5:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Steffi
They issue 3-month and 1-year AP's. And if you want to leave again after it expired you will have to file for another one.
Steffi,

Do they give you a choice of which one you want when you apply? I have a friend who just realized he got the 3-month one without knowing it, and would have rather had the 1-year. Is there a price difference between the two (there must be!)?

Rene
Old Feb 25th 2004, 5:51 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Noorah101
Do they give you a choice of which one you want when you apply? I have a friend who just realized he got the 3-month one without knowing it, and would have rather had the 1-year. Is there a price difference between the two (there must be!)?
Nope, no price difference! One of the questions asks if you'd like a multiple-entry AP. And then you also need to tell them about the trips you want to take. So obviously if you want a multiple-entry AP it's advisable that you list more than one trip, or mention that you'd like a longer one in case of emergency. That's what I did. I haven't gotten mine back though, so I can't tell you if they'll actually grant me a 1-year one like I'm hoping for.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 6:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Actually they will issue an A/P which is good only for the trip you have indicated on the application or for the length of time they feel it will take to adjust status if under one year, or for one year if you need it for multiple trips.

Yes you have to reapply if it expires before your adjustment has been approved.

Rete
Old Feb 25th 2004, 6:34 pm
K1 via London

Originally posted by Rete
Actually they will issue an A/P which is good only for the trip you have indicated on the application or for the length of time they feel it will take to adjust status if under one year, or for one year if you need it for multiple trips.
But if you list more than one trip...?
Old Feb 25th 2004, 8:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

But if you list more than one trip...?

As I said if you list multiple trips it is usually good for one year. However, it should be noted that it up to the USCIS to decide how long an A/P they will give you. You can request a multiple entry A/P and hope for the best.

Rete
Old Feb 25th 2004, 8:07 pm
K1 via London

Originally posted by Rete
As I said if you list multiple trips it is usually good for one year. However, it should be noted that it up to the USCIS to decide how long an A/P they will give you. You can request a multiple entry A/P and hope for the best.
Well I don't think I really said that the 1-year is guaranteed, did I? As anything with this immigration process, nothing is guaranteed.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

MarDae will become famous soon enough

My fiance applied for AP and checked the box to indicate that he wanted it for multiple entires. For date of trip he made up a date the month he is planning to travel (per the advice of the woman at the DO while we were there filing for AOS) since they don't actually check the date you travel. For reasons for travel he put because his sister is pregnant and his grandfather is ill (both true...he's planning to go home for the christening). He picked up his AP last Friday, good for multiple entries and good for one year, no questions asked. I've heard they are more lenient now than they once were when granting AP, but that might not be the case for every DO.

MarDae
Old Feb 25th 2004, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

no-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really nice

I'm glad I asked about this. I didn't know about the possiblity of getting only a 3 month advance parole. In my wife's case, she will potentially have to travel 2-3 times.

From what I can tell, it will take 1 1/2 to 2 years after first filing her AOS papers, before she'll have the ability to travel without advance parole. Is that true?
Old Feb 25th 2004, 9:36 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

As anything with this immigration process, nothing is guaranteed.
Gotta second that!!
Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

I don't understand your question. What is "advance parol" -- I've never heard of it. Are you talking about an oral promise of a CIS officer to approve your case in "advance" of the actual written adjudication? In any case, it bears repeating that do not ever trust any oral statement from a CIS officer. Get it in writing.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

207lonsdale is on a distinguished road

I found the following information on www.visalaw.com:-

"The headquarters of the Immigration and Naturalization Service has found it necessary to issue a second memorandum reconfirming the rules for issuing advance parole documents to those with permanent residency applications pending at local INS office. The first memo, dated April 20, 1995 stated that any alien who has properly filed a valid application for adjustment of status and who is seeking to depart temporarily for any legitimate personal or business reason shall be approved on such an application. The INS headquarters new memo goes further to state that "Once Form I-485 has been reviewed for filing eligibility, the adjudicating officer should make no further inquiry into the reasons for travel except as might relate to possible illegality." Furthermore, the new memorandum states that the advance parole should be granted for a length of time that corresponds with the expected time necessary to complete processing on the application. And the parole documents should be issued with multiple entry validity. The new memorandum, signed by Paul Virtue, Executive Associate Commissioner of the INS, apparently is a response to the growing number of complaints that certain local INS offices were ignoring the 1995 memorandum and continuing to require parole applicants to show emergency reasons for traveling."

Last edited by 207lonsdale; Feb 26th 2004 at 7:35 am.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 3:00 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by 207lonsdale
I found the following information on www.visalaw.com:-

"The headquarters of the Immigration and Naturalization Service has found it necessary to issue a second memorandum reconfirming the rules for issuing advance parole documents to those with permanent residency applications pending at local INS office. The first memo, dated April 20, 1995 stated that any alien who has properly filed a valid application for adjustment of status and who is seeking to depart temporarily for any legitimate personal or business reason shall be approved on such an application. The INS headquarters new memo goes further to state that "Once Form I-485 has been reviewed for filing eligibility, the adjudicating officer should make no further inquiry into the reasons for travel except as might relate to possible illegality." Furthermore, the new memorandum states that the advance parole should be granted for a length of time that corresponds with the expected time necessary to complete processing on the application. And the parole documents should be issued with multiple entry validity. The new memorandum, signed by Paul Virtue, Executive Associate Commissioner of the INS, apparently is a response to the growing number of complaints that certain local INS offices were ignoring the 1995 memorandum and continuing to require parole applicants to show emergency reasons for traveling."
It should be noted that this memorandum PREDATES the 1996 "Reform" legislation which imposed the 3/10 year bars for certain overstays.

However, this memorandum is an example that one has to be quite careful in parsing the language used in immigration law. The advance parole regulations allow for its issuance for "emergent" reasons and many INS people interpreted this as meaning "emergency" -- and "emergent" and "emergency" are two different things.

Also, it should be noted that the OP asked about "advance parol" while the responses have been directed to "advance parolE." "Parol" and "parole" are two quite different legal concepts. This string is like answering "what is your weight?" with "87 days" rather than "187 pounds."
Old Feb 26th 2004, 3:20 pm
Meticulous

daveyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MarDae
My fiance applied for AP and checked the box to indicate that he wanted it for multiple entires. For date of trip he made up a date the month he is planning to travel (per the advice of the woman at the DO while we were there filing for AOS) since they don't actually check the date you travel. For reasons for travel he put because his sister is pregnant and his grandfather is ill (both true...he's planning to go home for the christening). He picked up his AP last Friday, good for multiple entries and good for one year, no questions asked. I've heard they are more lenient now than they once were when granting AP, but that might not be the case for every DO.

MarDae
Isn't it amazing how we can all find such VERY GOOD reasons for needing to travelling home when applying for AP!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.