Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Advance Parole Question

Advance Parole Question

Old Jul 13th 2004, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Jana is on a distinguished road
Default Advance Parole Question

Can you apply for advance parole (and get approved) if you are just going to visit family for Christmas?

My husband and I want to go to Canada to visit his family over Christmas. The Advance Parole forms states:

"Advance parole is an extraordinary measure used sparingly
to bring an otherwise inadmissible alien to the United States
for a temporary period of time due to a compelling
emergency."

Should I apply or is it a waste of $165 if I am going to get denied.

Jana
Old Jul 13th 2004, 5:40 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advance Parole Question

Originally posted by Jana
You likely won't be denied so go ahead an apply. Do it *now* as there is a backlog and there's no guarantee that it'll arrive prior to the holidays. Be sure to indicate that it's for multiple re-entries.

Ian
Old Jul 13th 2004, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ian-mstm
You likely won't be denied so go ahead an apply. Do it *now* as there is a backlog and there's no guarantee that it'll arrive prior to the holidays. Be sure to indicate that it's for multiple re-entries.

Ian
Should I put "visit family" as the reason?
Old Jul 13th 2004, 6:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Should I put "visit family" as the reason?

Yes! But it is taking 3 to 9 months to get so be prepared not to have it in time for Xmas.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Rete
Yes! But it is taking 3 to 9 months to get so be prepared not to have it in time for Xmas.

Sigh! Thanks for the heads up...What happened to 30 days

It's going to break my husband's heart.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I notice he applied for AOS in 7/03 - why didn't he apply for AP at the same time? Just curious.

I also notice that he crossed at Alexandria Bay. Is he from the Kingston/Ottawa area? I lived in Kingston for 13 years before I moved to Halifax.

Ian
Old Jul 13th 2004, 10:15 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Never believe their estimate timelines!, Sorry Jana!!
((Jana)) Huggie for ya!!
Old Jul 13th 2004, 10:21 pm
Welsh Wife

JohnCindy is on a distinguished road

Can you apply for advance parole (and get approved) if you are just going to visit family for Christmas?

My husband and I want to go to Canada to visit his family over Christmas. The Advance Parole forms states:

emergency."

Jana
I would apply Jana. We put on ours to see his children still in the UK. Like the Mastercard commercial says.......... AP $165.......... trip home.......... priceless
Cindy
Old Jul 13th 2004, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

lellis is an unknown quantity at this point

But it is taking 3 to 9 months to get so be prepared not to have it in time for Xmas.

Not true of all service centers, Baltimore are still doing 'walk ins' you can not apply until 30 days before you go and they mail it to you in 5 days.
Check your local office filing procedures.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 10:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lellis
But it is taking 3 to 9 months to get so be prepared not to have it in time for Xmas.

Not true of all service centers, Baltimore are still doing 'walk ins' you can not apply until 30 days before you go and they mail it to you in 5 days.
Check your local office filing procedures.

Baltimore is not a service center. It is a district office.

The rest of the country (Maryland residents are the only exception) have to file at their local offices and in turn the local office sends it to the National Benefit Center in Missouri.

In all ways USCIS, the NBC is overloaded at present with handlind the initial processing of all marriage-based visas, i.e. I-485 and subsequent derivative benefits such as EAD's and APs for those filers. As a result they are far behind the once 30 to 90 issuance of those last two benefits to qualified fileres.

BTW the OP said she was using the Atlanta office.

Rete
Old Jul 14th 2004, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ian-mstm
I notice he applied for AOS in 7/03 - why didn't he apply for AP at the same time? Just curious.

I also notice that he crossed at Alexandria Bay. Is he from the Kingston/Ottawa area? I lived in Kingston for 13 years before I moved to Halifax.

Ian
Hi Ian. At the time we had just finished paying for a wedding and about $500 for his AOS stuff. We didn't expect to go back until this Christmas. At the time, it was taking 30 days to process advance parole. I thought for sure it wouldn't be taking over 3 months and was beginning to prepare it.

I talked to my husband last night and we are hoping that we get it in time, but if not, we are just going to make a trip when it comes in.

Marc lived most his life in Ottawa. He also lived in Montreal for about a year. We had left Montreal and went to visit his parents and brother in Wendover and Ottawa so thats why we crossed at Alexandria Bay.

I looked at processing time in Atlanta and they are processing May applications for I-131's. So that is 2 months behind. How much should I rely on that?
Old Jul 14th 2004, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

Marc lived most his life in Ottawa. He also lived in Montreal for about a year.
Ottawa is a pretty city. I generally tried to avoid Montreal whenever possible - the drivers there are the worst in the country, speeders everywhere... and when the weather gets bad, they go faster!

I looked at processing time in Atlanta and they are processing May applications for I-131's. So that is 2 months behind. How much should I rely on that?
I wouldn't rely on it too much, but when fall rolls around and folks come back from vacation, they may process quicker. I'd still go ahead and send it in. The longer you delay, the lower the chances of getting AP prior to the holidays.

Ian
Old Jul 14th 2004, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Indianapolis, Indiana headed for Nottinghamshire in May, 2012
Kady is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

We applied for my husband's advance parole January 13, 2004 and received it on 2/28. Although we went through the Indianapolis, Indiana sub-office, we didn't expect to receive it so quickly. So you may receive it before the holidays. Good luck. Paid our money for the parole and never used it but we thought it would be better to be safe than sorry since his parents are getting on in their years.

Cheers,
Kady

emergency."

Jana
Old Jul 14th 2004, 7:08 pm
Welsh Wife

JohnCindy is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Kady
Hi:

We applied for my husband's advance parole January 13, 2004 and received it on 2/28. Although we went through the Indianapolis, Indiana sub-office, we didn't expect to receive it so quickly. So you may receive it before the holidays. Good luck. Paid our money for the parole and never used it but we thought it would be better to be safe than sorry since his parents are getting on in their years.

Cheers,
Kady
Same with us Kady we applied and about two weeks later ours was approved
Cindy
Old Jul 14th 2004, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

When did this backlog start? We got ours out of Atlanta last year in about two months. Everytime I turn around the BCIS makes it more difficult and cumbersome. I guess I shouldn't be making plans for a trip to the UK in October just yet huh?

Scout

PS - Hiya Jana :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.