Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Adjustment of Status to Permanent Resident

Wikiposts

Adjustment of Status to Permanent Resident

Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

peteandvanessa has a spectacular aura aboutpeteandvanessa has a spectacular aura aboutpeteandvanessa has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Adjustment of Status to Permanent Resident

Bugger, I have 3 kids, and we were granted PR in Sept 2006.

So it appears from this thread my eldest (who is now 15) will need to renew her green card since she is now 15.

My son will turn 14 in Sept, so he will also need a new green card, and my youngest who is now 11 will also need to renew her green card when she turns 14.

My eldest will cost about $290 (for the application) and $80 for (biometrics)

Son will cost $80 for (biometrics)

Youngest will cost $80 for (biometrics)

That's alot of wonga
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:18 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peteandvanessa
Bugger, I have 3 kids, and we were granted PR in Sept 2006.

So it appears from this thread my eldest (who is now 15) will need to renew her green card since she is now 15.

My son will turn 14 in Sept, so he will also need a new green card, and my youngest who is now 11 will also need to renew her green card when she turns 14.

My eldest will cost about $290 (for the application) and $80 for (biometrics)

Son will cost $80 for (biometrics)

Youngest will cost $80 for (biometrics)

That's alot of wonga
My Greek 'green card' cost 500 euro and I only got about a year's use out of it.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
My Greek 'green card' cost 500 euro and I only got about a year's use out of it.
How much is that in real money?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

peteandvanessa has a spectacular aura aboutpeteandvanessa has a spectacular aura aboutpeteandvanessa has a spectacular aura about

The phrase "Money for old rope" springs to mind
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:27 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peteandvanessa
The phrase "Money for old rope" springs to mind
Well as long as these bloody immigrants aren't costing us American taxpayers money!
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Well as long as these bloody immigrants aren't costing us American taxpayers money!
I'm both immigrant and American taxpayer..........and they still get me twice
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:00 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
How much is that in real money?
Less then than today!
We were watching an old ep of Globe Trekker this w/e, of the Greek islands and she kept quoting prices in drachma.
ahhhh, the good old days.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:50 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
USCIS also does not send you anything special to tell you to report changes of address, to file I-751 to remove conditions where appropriate or a reminder that your own card is about to expire.

I really get that you all would like it to be different, but there are a lot of things you are expected to keep track of on your own. The article Now That You Are a Permanent Resident is a helpful starting place at uscis.gov that covers your rights and responsibilities.
I don't mind keeping track of things if I know I have to. I read that article and it doesn't say anything about renewing the card at age 14.

I have kept all the leaflets etc that came with each of our green cards and there was nothing there either to suggest that the youngest's would need renewing.
Then I searched the website and I did find something but I only knew to search because it was mentioned on here.

The bit I found was confusing because it implied that children younger than 14 wouldn't have had biometrics done and at age 14 they would need them done for the first time but my daughter has already had them done.

Perhaps there is a part of the website that makes it all very clear but I couldn't find it.
However, now I know and it's in the diary.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

So I wonder what happens if folks don't re-new their Kids Green cards as their kids reach 14 years and just wait until 5 years until they qualify for US Citizenship?