Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Adjustment of Status to Permanent Resident

Adjustment of Status to Permanent Resident

Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Adjustment of Status to Permanent Resident

Hi. Really dumb question here. (Sorry. Wiki's articles I can't click on for some reason, and USCIS's website is helpful but doesn't answer my question specifically. )

Hubbies lawyers are filing our Adjustment of Status papers at the moment, we've had our Green Card medicals etc etc. I'm led to believe that the Green Card expires after 10 years and it will need to be renewed. Can you just renew indefinitely? I remember reading somewhere that once your child reaches 18 they have to go back to England - is that only on immigrant VISA's not the Green Card? I have an 8 year old daughter, we are here on L1A's and L2's at the mo, and hubbies company are sponsoring our Green Card.

Would appreciate someone putting my mind at rest. Just want to know once we get through this long application process, whether to expect headaches somewhere down the road?

Thanks guys. Keira.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:24 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adjustment of Status to Permanent Resident

Daughter should also have a green card in the package. Your card expires but your status doesn't. Have you considered naturalizing down the road?
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

peteandvanessa has a spectacular aura aboutpeteandvanessa has a spectacular aura aboutpeteandvanessa has a spectacular aura about

I believe you just re-new the cards after 10 years. When you and your family finally get green cards you will all have one each, so age isn't a factor.

My children have green cards with the same expiration date as mine, they will just re-new them after 10 years or apply to become US Citizens after holding the green card for 5 years. (e.g they won't have to go back to the UK)
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by keira-2007
Hi. Really dumb question here. (Sorry. Wiki's articles I can't click on for some reason, and USCIS's website is helpful but doesn't answer my question specifically. )

Hubbies lawyers are filing our Adjustment of Status papers at the moment, we've had our Green Card medicals etc etc. I'm led to believe that the Green Card expires after 10 years and it will need to be renewed. Can you just renew indefinitely? I remember reading somewhere that once your child reaches 18 they have to go back to England - is that only on immigrant VISA's not the Green Card? I have an 8 year old daughter, we are here on L1A's and L2's at the mo, and hubbies company are sponsoring our Green Card.

Would appreciate someone putting my mind at rest. Just want to know once we get through this long application process, whether to expect headaches somewhere down the road?

Thanks guys. Keira.
No - card expires - status doesn't. All of you will be legal permanent residents, i.e. you have the right reside in the USA permanently. (Although as someone will point out if I don't you aren't guarenteed entry - only citizens are)

No age out for kids. You can apply for citizenship after 5 years...actual application can be submitted a few months before (can't remember how many - sorry)
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:33 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peteandvanessa
My children have green cards with the same expiration date as mine, they will just re-new them after 10 years or apply to become US Citizens after holding the green card for 5 years. (e.g they won't have to go back to the UK)
Just reminded me -- I think the daughter's card will expire at 14???? and she'll have to go and have biometrics done to get a replacement. Sure someone'll confirm the age.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:34 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by ri_mischief
can be submitted a few months before (can't remember how many - sorry)
But I do know this one -- 90 days before your 5th anniversary of becoming a permanent resident.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Daughter should also have a green card in the package. Your card expires but your status doesn't. Have you considered naturalizing down the road?
Have thought about naturalizing eventually. I don't know. I'm all for an easy life! If the only benefits are being able to vote and holding a US passport it doesn't really seem all that worth it. (Mind you, would be nice to come into a US airport and head straight to the short US Citizens line instead of the mammoth foreigners line!)

Correct me if I'm wrong. Is there an awful lot more to be gained from naturalizing?
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:36 pm
Septicity

Have thought about naturalizing eventually. I don't know. I'm all for an easy life! If the only benefits are being able to vote and holding a US passport it doesn't really seem all that worth it. (Mind you, would be nice to come into a US airport and head straight to the short US Citizens line instead of the mammoth foreigners line!)

Correct me if I'm wrong. Is there an awful lot more to be gained from naturalizing?
GC holders usually get the citizens line as well.

For the pros and cons of naturalization, see: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...US_Citizenship
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

You get to go through the citizens line (in most cases) with a greencard - I loved that the first time I did it! In fact the second time I went through with US citizen fiance (couldn't go through the same line - went in the next one) and got through quicker - to my immense amusement.

I went through the GC process the same as you - L1A to GC was remarkably painless compared to some stories I heard. Not sure where you are in the process but there's a website that allows you to track other's progress...not sure if I'm allowed to post it here tho!

Another benefit (I believe) of citizenship vs LPR is to do with inheritance tax - I suspect someone will be along in a minute to give further details on this...

Last edited by ri_mischief; Jul 11th 2008 at 10:40 pm. Reason: forgot something....
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

But I do know this one -- 90 days before your 5th anniversary of becoming a permanent resident.
Thanks...I wasn't 100% sure on the number of months....
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC holders usually get the citizens line as well.

For the pros and cons of naturalization, see: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...US_Citizenship
Thanks Fatbrit. I hadn't realized we could go through the fast line! And thanks for the link to the Wiki. I don't know why, whenever I go into it, the headings are there but the content is missing?? Anyway, that was really useful. Guess the main consideration is that I had better not EVER fall out with hubbie if we stay as PR's! We are his responsibility aren't we. But if we became naturalized.... I wouldn't have to worry so much. ... Not that i;m planning on that happening you understand!

Originally Posted by ri_mischief
You get to go through the citizens line (in most cases) with a greencard - I loved that the first time I did it! In fact the second time I went through with US citizen fiance (couldn't go through the same line - went in the next one) and got through quicker - to my immense amusement.

I went through the GC process the same as you - L1A to GC was remarkably painless compared to some stories I heard. Not sure where you are in the process but there's a website that allows you to track other's progress...not sure if I'm allowed to post it here tho!

Another benefit (I believe) of citizenship vs LPR is to do with inheritance tax - I suspect someone will be along in a minute to give further details on this...
Thanks for the info ri_mischief. We have had our green card medicals, have about 450 documents to sign and send with our medical envelopes and photos and after that, i don't know. How long did it take once you'd send all the adjustment of status forms back? (And the ones signed by the employer etc?)
Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Guess the main consideration is that I had better not EVER fall out with hubbie if we stay as PR's! We are his responsibility aren't we. But if we became naturalized.... I wouldn't have to worry so much. ... Not that i;m planning on that happening you understand!
keira, there are a few things to understand about the 'green card' that might help it all make more sense to you.
First of all, you called it the right thing. what you are applying for is Permanent Resident status. Note the 'permanent' part of it. The cards will expire so they can keep tabs on you, but the status does not, unless you (or the kids or hubs) do something that makes you 'removable'. AKA deportation. That is a *major* benefit of citizenship; they can't get rid of you once you naturalize.**

You, and the kids, should know what your rights and responsibilities are as PRs. Your status will no longer depend on your husband, you'll all be free agents as soon as you get that card. The kids especially should know that their status is somewhat vulnerable. Kids have a funny way of getting into naughtiness. Once they are 18, no forgiveness.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident details how things will be different for you after you're a PR.

Rights
As a Permanent Resident you have most of the rights of a United States Citizen but there are some exceptions.
Rights
* To live permanently in the United States provided you do not commit any actions that would make you removable (deportable) under the immigration law (section 237, Immigration and Nationality Act).
* To be employed in the United States at any legal work of your qualification and choosing.
* To be protected by all of the laws of the United States, your state of residence and local jurisdictions.
* To vote in local elections where United States Citizenship is not required.

Exceptions
* Some jobs will be limited to United States Citizens because of security concerns.
* You may not vote in elections limited to United States Citizens.

One important one is listed at the bottom:
Change of Address
You are required to notify us of any change of address within 10 days of that change. Form AR-11 is used for that purpose. You can learn more about change of address requirements is found at "How Do I Report a Change of Address?"

Citizens don't have to do that.
Processing time will depend on your local office; you can look up guesstimates at uscis.gov or wait about 6 months. It may come sooner, or later.

**yes, there's probably some small caveat that should go there, but keira's not a Nazi war criminal.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meauxna
keira, there are a few things to understand about the 'green card' that might help it all make more sense to you.
First of all, you called it the right thing. what you are applying for is Permanent Resident status. Note the 'permanent' part of it. The cards will expire so they can keep tabs on you, but the status does not, unless you (or the kids or hubs) do something that makes you 'removable'. AKA deportation. That is a *major* benefit of citizenship; they can't get rid of you once you naturalize.**

You, and the kids, should know what your rights and responsibilities are as PRs. Your status will no longer depend on your husband, you'll all be free agents as soon as you get that card. The kids especially should know that their status is somewhat vulnerable. Kids have a funny way of getting into naughtiness. Once they are 18, no forgiveness.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident details how things will be different for you after you're a PR.

Rights
As a Permanent Resident you have most of the rights of a United States Citizen but there are some exceptions.
Rights
* To live permanently in the United States provided you do not commit any actions that would make you removable (deportable) under the immigration law (section 237, Immigration and Nationality Act).
* To be employed in the United States at any legal work of your qualification and choosing.
* To be protected by all of the laws of the United States, your state of residence and local jurisdictions.
* To vote in local elections where United States Citizenship is not required.

Exceptions
* Some jobs will be limited to United States Citizens because of security concerns.
* You may not vote in elections limited to United States Citizens.

One important one is listed at the bottom:
Change of Address
You are required to notify us of any change of address within 10 days of that change. Form AR-11 is used for that purpose. You can learn more about change of address requirements is found at "How Do I Report a Change of Address?"

Citizens don't have to do that.
Processing time will depend on your local office; you can look up guesstimates at uscis.gov or wait about 6 months. It may come sooner, or later.

**yes, there's probably some small caveat that should go there, but keira's not a Nazi war criminal.
A Nazi war criminal... how little you know me. I've been called a few things in my time but to my recollection that is not one of them... thankfully.

Thanks meauxna. That post was really helpful. I get embarrassed asking some questions, purely because they've probably been asked a thousand times before and I feel like I should really know the answer by now, after all, I have been living over here for nearly a year now!

I appreciate the part about being free agents once we receive the card. The only reason I thought we were still reliant on hubs is because of the Affidavit of Support we had to sign. Its about me and my daughter not becoming public charges. If for some godawful reason me and hubs split up (again, I ain't plannin' this but ya never know, and it's always worth knowing your rights) Legally we can still stay in the States but I will have no help from the US authorities, is that right? I must fully support myself and my daughter?

Enough of that negative talk (everything is roses at the mo!! ) Thanks for all your help. I feel slightly more educated now.

Regards Keira
Old Jul 12th 2008, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

A Nazi war criminal... how little you know me. I've been called a few things in my time but to my recollection that is not one of them... thankfully.

Thanks meauxna. That post was really helpful. I get embarrassed asking some questions, purely because they've probably been asked a thousand times before and I feel like I should really know the answer by now, after all, I have been living over here for nearly a year now!

I appreciate the part about being free agents once we receive the card. The only reason I thought we were still reliant on hubs is because of the Affidavit of Support we had to sign. Its about me and my daughter not becoming public charges. If for some godawful reason me and hubs split up (again, I ain't plannin' this but ya never know, and it's always worth knowing your rights) Legally we can still stay in the States but I will have no help from the US authorities, is that right? I must fully support myself and my daughter?

Enough of that negative talk (everything is roses at the mo!! ) Thanks for all your help. I feel slightly more educated now.

Regards Keira
That's an entirely different issue.

The government (USCIS) wouldn't care if he supported you and your daugher or if you supported yourself.

The divorce court WOULD make him support his daughter until she was 18 at least. He would almost certainly have to support you also, at least for some period of time, perhaps always.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 3:39 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Just reminded me -- I think the daughter's card will expire at 14???? and she'll have to go and have biometrics done to get a replacement. Sure someone'll confirm the age.

Don't think so. My son got his gc at age 8 with a full 10 years on it. He had the biometrics done before the card was issued.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.