Reload this Page >

Adjustment of status interview

Adjustment of status interview

Old Jun 2nd 2016, 8:07 am
Just Joined

stumac76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Adjustment of status interview

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
I disagree. In the UK there are right and wrong answers to the vast majority of tax questions. Also for those in regular employment with the "normal" bank accounts, savings, pensions etc there is no need or requirement to complete a tax return. For at least the last 10 years I was there I never completed a return.

Here in the US that is not the case. Most people have to complete returns and there is often no direct IRS answer to a wide range of questions. Ask two "tax professionals" and get three answers is not unusual.

So to Stumac I say, you are not alone!
I was born in the UK and lived there for 39 years and never filed a return. It's simple for the simple minded like me 😎
Old Jun 8th 2016, 10:24 am
Just Joined

I've had my interview, and it didn't go as well as I'd hoped. The tax document didn't even get looked at, but I'm glad we got that fixed. The problem we face is with a few past convictions of mine. I wasn't convicted of any crimes involving moral turpitude, they were all drunk and disorderly convictions from when I was young and stupid and liked to get drunk and show off for my friends. No drunk driving convictions, just being drunk in public and being obnoxious. At the interview the officer asked about them and I explained them to her. She stated that they are going to issue a request for evidence and will want to see the arrest records.

I don't know where to begin. My wife and I have been researching this all afternoon and everything we find takes us to the ACRO, which is what they have. I don't know what else they could want. We're devastated and at a loss at this time. In London, at the K1 interview we were told that my past arrests wouldn't be an issue because they didn't involve moral turpitude. My wife is ready to call immigration lawyers for help. Does anyone have any advice? Has anyone been through a similar circumstance and it come out favorable? I had a troubled childhood but I've turned my life around and I will do anything to show them that.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 11:07 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stumac76
She stated that they are going to issue a request for evidence and will want to see the arrest records.
Can you get the arrest records? Others will know more about this than me, but you may be able to get a SAR. You should also try to get hold of any arrest records and court documents - that might mean a trip back to the UK to get those. If you can't get them for any reason, you need to document the attempt to get them. You must do your due diligence in that respect.

My wife is ready to call immigration lawyers for help.
I'm not sure what a lawyer can do - he certainly can't change the interviewer's mind, and he won't be able to get documents for you.

At any rate, wait until you receive the RFE so you know exactly what it is she's looking for.

Ian
Old Jun 8th 2016, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

The only thing I can think of as being the issue is if the courts still have records of the offenses as they were dated back to late 90s, early 2000s. A trip back to the UK isn't financially an option at this time, but I can have the records sent to my mum who can forward them if necessary, or try to arrange for her to get them on my behalf. Of course I will do whatever I can to get them.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 1:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Document everything. Every phone call to anyone you try to get help from, even mom. Date, time, and outcome of the call. Keep copies of any written requests and the responses.

Rene