Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

About to submit my DS forms, question about docs to be attatched.

About to submit my DS forms, question about docs to be attatched.

Old Aug 2nd 2012, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

k.masson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default About to submit my DS forms, question about docs to be attatched.

hi all.

im about to send all my DS forms but a little unsure of a few docments which need to be attatced.

Evidence of engagement to your fiancee.

Evidence of financial support.

and i take it i was supposed to get a few copies of my police report as i need to attach one with the forms and take one to my medical... doh

edited: It says i need to attach my birth certificate with the DS forms, and it also says i need my birth certificate for my K visa interview?????? confused...

Last edited by k.masson; Aug 2nd 2012 at 1:53 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 2:36 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About to submit my DS forms, question about docs to be attatched.

Signed statements that one is both free to marry and intends to marry their fiance(e).
Originally Posted by k.masson
Form I-134 and supporting documents from the petitioner, or some other willing person (USC or PR living in the USA). Or, in rare cases, documentation that the visa applicant has sufficient financial resources to pay their way in the USA until they have adjusted status and become a PR (at which point the petitioner has provided an I-864 contract of support).

One copy of the police report from the authorities is sufficient. With that in hand you can make your own copies for purposes such as the medical exam.
and i take it i was supposed to get a few copies of my police report as i need to attach one with the forms and take one to my medical... doh
Follow the step-by-step instructions here.
http://london.usembassy.gov/ds2001.html
edited: It says i need to attach my birth certificate with the DS forms, and it also says i need my birth certificate for my K visa interview?????? confused...
Regards, JEff
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 3:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You can take a photocopy of the police report to the medical exam. Or, you can take the original and they will give it back to you once they've reviewed it. Do not attach the original police certificate to the forms. Bring it to the interview.

Take a look at this thread, especially post #19 onwards.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=766831&page=2

Rene
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Jeff, Rene you guys are great, seriously.

much appriciated
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Jeff can i ask about the signed statements? is it just a matter of me and my fiancee writting a seperate statement and no witness' needed?

Also where can i find info about the criteria for an eligible sponsor? it doesnt mention it anywhere on the instructions i have been given.

Rene on DS156k it says police certificate needs to be submitted, so a photocopy will do?

Last edited by k.masson; Aug 2nd 2012 at 9:16 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 9:32 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Similar to the statements that you both submitted with the I-129f petition (the purpose being to confirm that nothing has changed since).
Jeff can i ask about the signed statements? is it just a matter of me and my fiancee writting a seperate statement and no witness' needed?
9 FAM 40.41 Notes, N4.6-3.c I quoted it in a post earlier today, in the thread that Rene referred you to.
Also where can i find info about the criteria for an eligible sponsor? it doesnt mention it anywhere on the instructions i have been given.

No, the original is required and is to be submitted at the interview. Ignore the statement in the DS-156k to attach various documents, follow instead the instructions of DS-2001 as posted on the US embassy in London's web site.
Rene on DS156k it says police certificate needs to be submitted, so a photocopy will do?
Regards, JEff
Old Aug 6th 2012, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

sorry for the late reply but thank you again Jeff. I no longer have the luxury of mobile internet to reply to your answers swiftly.

edited: managed to find details of sponsor and came across this on the U.S. embassy site....

What about the fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen who is applying for a fiancé(e) visa?
An I-864 is not required when applying for a fiancé(e) visa. An I-864 will be required at the time the fiancé(e) visa holder applies to adjust his or her status from nonimmigrant to conditional resident with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services(USCIS).

So i dont need a sponsor before i go for my Interview?

Last edited by k.masson; Aug 6th 2012 at 11:45 am.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 12:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you do... unless you have sufficient assets that would allow you to "self-sponsor" without needing someone to complete an I-134 on your behalf.

The passage you quoted deals with the I-864... which has nothing whatsoever to do with a K-1 visa. The I-864 is submitted after you are married as part of the paperwork to adjust your status.

The I-134 and the I-864 are both "Affidavits of Support"... but they serve two entirely different scenarios.

Ian
Old Aug 6th 2012, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Going back to the original question
im about to send all my DS forms but a little unsure of a few docments which need to be attatced.

Your K1 instructions are here http://london.usembassy.gov/iv_15.html and not the link you were previously given.

You do NOT attach any documents to the mailing. Send the DS- forms only. Everything else goes to the interview.

You (UK person) do not need to write another letter of intent. Your US fiance can if you want, but London says only if the I-129F petition approval has expired will they require that.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Ian thanx for the info.

Moxie you are a star, a whole lot more clearer now
Old Aug 6th 2012, 3:47 pm

This does not say that you do not need a sponsor. It says that the sponsor, if you need one, does not use the I-864 affidavit of support.

A K-visa applicant who has substantial financial resources of their own does not need a sponsor for their visa. A few Brits over the years have gotten their K1 visas without a sponsor, but the vast majority of K-visa applicants do not have sufficient financial resources of their own and do require a sponsor. The sponsor will use the I-134 affidavit of support.

Regards, JEff

edited: managed to find details of sponsor and came across this on the U.S. embassy site....

What about the fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen who is applying for a fiancé(e) visa?
An I-864 is not required when applying for a fiancé(e) visa. An I-864 will be required at the time the fiancé(e) visa holder applies to adjust his or her status from nonimmigrant to conditional resident with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services(USCIS).

Old Aug 7th 2012, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

thanx jeff.

i've been searching all over the official U.S. embassy website for details of sponsors criteria and cant find anything. I did go through the forms that my sponsor needs to fill out but it didnt state anywhere about criteria. Is there such thing?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

thanx jeff.

i've been searching all over the official U.S. embassy website for details of sponsors criteria and cant find anything. I did go through the forms that my sponsor needs to fill out but it didnt state anywhere about criteria. Is there such thing?
The long answer might be found here on page 14 http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86988.pdf

Or here Is what London says http://london.usembassy.gov/faffidavit.html

Ther is no exact dollar scale of required income for the I-134 so people tend to go by the criteria for the I-864 because that will be needed shortly to file adjustment of status.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

thanx moxie,

Just for knowledge sake would you happen to know for how long/short over a period of time the sponsor is required to sponsor me for?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 3:41 pm

For the visa, until your adjustment of status is approved.

For the adjustment of status, read the I-864 instructions and the I-864 itself. Could be as short as ~4 years or as long as until you or your sponsor dies (assuming that you both outlive the other criteria for terminating the contract).

Regards, JEff

Just for knowledge sake would you happen to know for how long/short over a period of time the sponsor is required to sponsor me for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.