Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Abandoned K-1, Rentry permitted?

Wikiposts

Abandoned K-1, Rentry permitted?

Old Nov 11th 2004, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

spolizzi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Abandoned K-1, Rentry permitted?

Hi, awhile ago my fiance and I successfully navigated the K-1 visa route and got her into the country to marry me. However, due to various personal circumstances she needed to leave the country again about a month after entering. She handed in her I-94, was not deported, and was never out of status.

She is a UK citizen, and I would like to have her come back under the VWP to visit for 3 months and get some of our affairs sorted. During this time, we will file again for a new K-1 visa. She will go home at the end of her 3 months, finish up the K-1 visa process again from home, and then return on a K-1 again to resume our marriage track.

We understand that she will most likely be questioned at immigration and plan to furnish a return ticket and letters from her family, myself, and my family stating that we fully understand the law and do not intend to circumvent it in any way and that we wish to file again for a K-1 visa in the next few months and have no interest in jeapordizing her future immigration to become a permanent resident.

Does anyone see any problems with this?
Old Nov 11th 2004, 1:59 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abandoned K-1, Rentry permitted?

Originally Posted by spolizzi
The part about the return ticket is a good idea, but I'm not sure it's such a good idea to include a letter indicating that you don't intend to break the law. If I were the officer, I'd be thinking that you are providing this letter as a means to trick me into believing that you intend to do exactly as you state in the letter while, at the same, fully intending to do just the opposite. I just don't think it's a good idea! Other than that, I don't see any problems - but I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong!

Ian
Old Nov 11th 2004, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The part about the return ticket is a good idea, but I'm not sure it's such a good idea to include a letter indicating that you don't intend to break the law. If I were the officer, I'd be thinking that you are providing this letter as a means to trick me into believing that you intend to do exactly as you state in the letter while, at the same, fully intending to do just the opposite. I just don't think it's a good idea! Other than that, I don't see any problems - but I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong!

Ian
Good point. I would only offer the letter if it was necessary, carrying it just in case. The letter would also contain valid contact information for me stating that I'm willing to be held liable for anything if they care to check up on us.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Good point. I would only offer the letter if it was necessary, carrying it just in case. The letter would also contain valid contact information for me stating that I'm willing to be held liable for anything if they care to check up on us.
It would actually be better if she could show solid proof of her plans to return. A mortgage or lease documents, employer statement, school registration... something that shows she has ties (usually financial in nature) that will bring her back to the UK.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 3:11 am
Just Joined

kellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nice

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
It would actually be better if she could show solid proof of her plans to return. A mortgage or lease documents, employer statement, school registration... something that shows she has ties (usually financial in nature) that will bring her back to the UK.
Well, the problem here is that there aren't any ties. I deliberately broke them all on my first trip over due to our intent to stay and marry. It's now six or so weeks later that I am attempting to enter the US again, this time on the VWP, and the only thing we can provide is letters stating that we do not intend to marry on this trip. It's starting to look like we'll just have to take our chances.

- His Fiance
Old Nov 11th 2004, 4:10 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, awhile ago my fiance and I successfully navigated the K-1 visa route and got her into the country to marry me. However, due to various personal circumstances she needed to leave the country again about a month after entering. She handed in her I-94, was not deported, and was never out of status.

She is a UK citizen, and I would like to have her come back under the VWP to visit for 3 months and get some of our affairs sorted. During this time, we will file again for a new K-1 visa. She will go home at the end of her 3 months, finish up the K-1 visa process again from home, and then return on a K-1 again to resume our marriage track.

We understand that she will most likely be questioned at immigration and plan to furnish a return ticket and letters from her family, myself, and my family stating that we fully understand the law and do not intend to circumvent it in any way and that we wish to file again for a K-1 visa in the next few months and have no interest in jeapordizing her future immigration to become a permanent resident.

Did you or your girlfriend ever notifiy US Immigration that the two you did not marry as per the K-1?

If you did, it's my personal opinion that her having the documentation described above to show at Immigration if she's questioned should be sufficient. Also, she should also bring documents proving residence in the UK (mortgage docs, rental agreement, etc.)
Old Nov 11th 2004, 4:38 am
Just Joined

kellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nice

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Did you or your girlfriend ever notifiy US Immigration that the two you did not marry as per the K-1?

If you did, it's my personal opinion that her having the documentation described above to show at Immigration if she's questioned should be sufficient. Also, she should also bring documents proving residence in the UK (mortgage docs, rental agreement, etc.)
We didn’t notify them, no because we didn’t see a need to. At that precise time we weren’t sure which direction we’d be going in. Plus we knew they’d take out the 1-94 on departure.

As it stands I currently have no ties in London due to it only being six weeks since I last left the country and had to break them all. So all we’re able to provide on my return visit (using the VWP) is letters stating that our intent is not to marry on this visit and hope for the best, I guess. Just wondering if anyone else had done this and didn’t have a problem or can offer advice as to what other documents, if any, may help.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:09 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

Yes.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Yes.
Would you mind elaborating or offering some advice/suggestions?
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:31 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.
Oh no, the dreaded FOWA (Folinsky one word answer)! Run for the hills... run for the hills.

Ian
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:39 am
Just Joined

Hi:

Yes.

LOL

Real helpful. How can we go wrong on that?
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:46 am
Account Closed

Would you mind elaborating or offering some advice/suggestions?
Hi:

No.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Oh no, the dreaded FOWA (Folinsky one word answer)! Run for the hills... run for the hills.

Ian
Hi:

Give me a break. His acutal question was succinct and to the point: "Does anyone see any problems with this?"
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:51 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kellogs
We didn’t notify them, no because we didn’t see a need to. At that precise time we weren’t sure which direction we’d be going in. Plus we knew they’d take out the 1-94 on departure.
Never assume that US Immigration will see things the way you do. You opened a door, so to speak. You needed to have closed that door.

As it stands I currently have no ties in London due to it only being six weeks since I last left the country and had to break them all. So all we’re able to provide on my return visit (using the VWP) is letters stating that our intent is not to marry on this visit and hope for the best, I guess. Just wondering if anyone else had done this and didn’t have a problem or can offer advice as to what other documents, if any, may help.
In light of the above paragraph and having no ties to the UK, I think you'll have major problems entering the US even with the letter.

My suggestions are:

have your boyfriend, the USC come over to the UK to visit. He can come over on the British equivalent of the Visa Waiver and he should arm himself with docs to show ties to the US.

or

the two of you should consult an immigration attorney before either of you travels to see the other.

Just my 5 cents...
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:57 am
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

Letters promising good intentions are not proof of compelling ties to return to the home country.

Good Luck!
Marnee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.