Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Is 2 hours long enough to get thru Immigration?

Is 2 hours long enough to get thru Immigration?

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

saidsgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is 2 hours long enough to get thru Immigration?

Hi .....

If he is flying into New York/JFK on Thanksgiving day, will a 2 hour layover be long enough to get through Immigration/Customs, get luggage, get to another terminal and catch the connection to Florida?

It seems awfully tight to me. Other non-trollish opinions are requested.

Peace,
~k
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 1:36 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is 2 hours long enough to get thru Immigration?

Originally posted by saidsgirl
Hi .....

If he is flying into New York/JFK on Thanksgiving day, will a 2 hour layover be long enough to get through Immigration/Customs, get luggage, get to another terminal and catch the connection to Florida?

Peace,
~k
Thru ATL, 3 hrs in line plus 5 minutes in Immigration, another 2 in customs a couple of mo. ago.
I'd try and get more time between flights if possible.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

Dad of 3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Time between Flights

I think it may be a good idea to leave 3-4 hours at least...However, check with the airline who is brining you into JFK from overseas. They will tell you what the minimum time is to set aside for your connecting flight. If you dont make it, THE AIRLINE is responsible for getting you on the next availale flight and make up any difference in cost or have the next carrier take you as is.

Last time I came into LAX (kind of like JFK of the west)...I got upgraded to first class, was one of the first ones in line for immigration (in a line for US Passport Holders) and still missed my connecting flight that was 1 hr 45 minutes after my arrival time!
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

Dad of 3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Time between Flights

I think it may be a good idea to leave 3-4 hours at least...However, check with the airline who is brining you into JFK from overseas. They will tell you what the minimum time is to set aside for your connecting flight. If you dont make it, THE AIRLINE is responsible for getting you on the next availale flight and make up any difference in cost or have the next carrier take you as is.

Last time I came into LAX (kind of like JFK of the west)...I got upgraded to first class, was one of the first ones in line for immigration (in a line for US Passport Holders) and still missed my connecting flight that was 1 hr 45 minutes after my arrival time!

By the way.....I just re-red the original post....keep in mind that Thanksgiving is the worst/businest time of the year to travel in the US.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 2:14 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi .....

Peace,
~k
Hi:

It took ME an hour as a US Citizen last time I transited JFK. It took us 1 1/2 hours to clear Bradley at LAX a few weeks back, again as a US citizen.

However, although the day BEFORE Thanksgiving is among the busiest days, Thanksgiving day itself is quiet.

[My elder daughter had a habit when she was in school in Boston to buy tickets for Christmas eve -- they were dirt cheap. LAX would be DESERTED when those flights arrived.]
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Hi .....

Peace,
~k
It really depends. I have come into Houston and breezed right through. I have also been there when three of those huge honking flying cities deplaned right before me and been in line for hours.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 10:55 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi .....

Peace,
~k

Every airport has a minimum connecting time for international flights. I think those times are set up for folks not going through additional interviews etc. The day before Thanksgiving AND the Sunday after Thanksgiving (known as Black Sunday in the travel trade) are the heaviest travel days of the year.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 1:39 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kristine,

Congratulations!!! That is wonderfuls news!!

I have flown on Thanksgiving before and it was absolutely deserted. No experience with JFK on Thanksgiving though. Is he flying Air Maroc?

I have been tossing this exact question around with my husband for months. We have pretty much decided to go through London so we can get a direct flight to Dallas. It will probably mean spending the night in London but that's OK too. I defer to the wisdom of the other posters and think you better give yourself more time.

Keep us posted!!!!
Leslie

Hi .....

Peace,
~k
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 2:51 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

That's nice to know. I assume you mean by "making arrangements" they will put you on a later flight, correct?

Leslie

Originally posted by David9287
Hello,
Good question! I have called about 10 POE customs/immigration officers at various POEs and the common denominator is this; it depends on how many people are on the flight and what place in line you get. If all the documents are in order, it can take 15min to get through immigrations. Again this depends on how many people are in front of you. My fiancee' and I are flying in from Odessa, UA to Chicago and have a 2hr lay-over into Denver. The officers all told me, if you miss your connection because of immigration/customs delays, the airline will make arrangments for you. Good luck.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 3:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Leslie66
That's nice to know. I assume you mean by "making arrangements" they will put you on a later flight, correct?

Leslie
Hi Leslie

Either book you on the next flight available, or if it's too late, pay for your hotel overnight and get the next flight in the morning. :-)

Rene
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 3:06 pm
WTF?

Hi Rene!!!

Really?? Do all airlines do this? That is the nicest thing I've heard about this process yet.

Leslie

Originally posted by Noorah101
Hi Leslie

Either book you on the next flight available, or if it's too late, pay for your hotel overnight and get the next flight in the morning. :-)

Rene
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 3:09 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi .....

Peace,
~k
Yay girl, Congrats!! Good news bring the best out of me!!
The very first time I entered in the states (holding a J1) via JFK only took me 15 minutes to go thru immigration, But as far as David said it depends on how many people are ahead of you.

"if you miss your connection because of immigration/customs delays, the airline will make arrangments for you".
Now we are talking lol
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 3:12 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Leslie66
Hi Rene!!!

Really?? Do all airlines do this? That is the nicest thing I've heard about this process yet.

Leslie
I second that Leslie
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 3:16 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Noorah101
Hi Leslie

Rene

YES and NO-the airlines decline responsibility on weather delays, since those are beyond their control. Mechanical delays they are liable for though.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 3:18 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Great news! I had 2 hours 20 mins layover in Detroit when I arrived in the US, and only just made it onto my next flight .... but it seems to vary a lot. If there is another flight later that day, I believe they try their best to get you onto it. The main time was waiting in line - the actual Mysterious Brown Envelope part took about 5 minutes! But then of course there was baggage reclaim, then they X-rayed my bags, and had to hand search one of them, which held me up also.

Debbie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.