Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

15 year old UK son visiting a K3 Mum - possible probs?

15 year old UK son visiting a K3 Mum - possible probs?

Old Feb 15th 2002, 2:05 am
Kay

Default 15 year old UK son visiting a K3 Mum - possible probs?

Can anyone foresee any possible problems with my UK 15 year old son visiting me for
two weeks on a tourist visa? I am in the U.S. on a K3 visa. Are customs likely to
give him grief because he's visiting Mum? Should he carry some kind of proof that he
will be returning? If so, what? Maybe a letter from his Dad and his school?

Thankyou for any help,

Kay (K3 in Oklahoma awaiting I-130 TSC - applied in May, first NOA August)

Old Feb 15th 2002, 6:06 am
Maarten W.G. An

Default Re: 15 year old UK son visiting a K3 Mum - possible probs?

"Kay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone foresee any possible problems with my UK 15 year old son
visiting
    > me for two weeks on a tourist visa? I am in the U.S. on a K3 visa. Are customs
    > likely to give him grief because he's visiting Mum? Should he
carry
    > some kind of proof that he will be returning? If so, what? Maybe a letter from his
    > Dad and his school?

As far as I understand your son can enter on a regular visa waiver, and stay for 90
days. However, since he is a minor, there might be something else needed..... perhaps
you could contact the U.S. Consulate in the U.K. and ask them.

Either way, you son can easily be with you using the 90 day visa waiver, no special
visa is required. Just make sure he is not a punk that wants to see what happens if
you answer "yes" to one of the questions on the little visa waiver form he'll get on
the plane )

I think you'll be fine, perhaps only the minor thing might be a glitch but I don't
think it is.

Maarten

Old Feb 15th 2002, 10:46 pm
Michael Voight

Andy Platt wrote:
    >
    > I really doubt they'll be a problem. You can have him carry those letters; tell him
    > not to show them unless they start asking questions. Obviously he doesn't need a
    > tourist visa he can just enter on the visa waiver.

I am guessing they would probably question a 15 year old traveling alone, in more
detail than an adult. Are you saying there is no problem with INS thinking he has
immigrant intent?? I find that odd. His mother is here. If he tells them his mother
is here, why would they think he is not going to stay?

Old Feb 16th 2002, 2:05 pm
Mjones

Our older son has visited us 6 or 7 times in the last four years from Sweden. On his
second visit, he was taken to secondary inspection, interviewed and searched. He had
photos from his school and when they found those, they let him go. Since then, he has
always carried a letter from his school stating that he is visiting family in the US
and the date of his expected return. He has *not* had to show those letters, and he
*always* says he is going to visit his family. Then again, he now has a record of
coming and going with no blemishes. I think letters from Dad and a school are a darn
good idea. Mike

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:38:44 -0800, Michael Voight <[email protected]> wrote:

>Andy Platt wrote:
    >>
    >> I really doubt they'll be a problem. You can have him carry those letters; tell
    >> him not to show them unless they start asking questions. Obviously he doesn't need
    >> a tourist visa he can just enter on the visa waiver.
    >
    >I am guessing they would probably question a 15 year old traveling alone, in more
    >detail than an adult. Are you saying there is no problem with INS thinking he has
    >immigrant intent?? I find that odd. His mother is here. If he tells them his mother
    >is here, why would they think he is not going to stay?

Old Feb 20th 2002, 2:25 am
Kay

Thankyou all for your opinions on my 15 year old visiting me. I emailed the American
Consulate in London. Below is their complete reply, short and to the point!

Kay

From: London-Consular <[email protected]> Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2002
12:40 AM Subject: RE: Visa Enquiry I suggest that he does carry evidence of his
residence in the U.K. to which he will return at the end of his stay. There are no
restrictions on his travel.