Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

129-Fs who got RFEs: List of what you submitted & what got requested?

Wikiposts

129-Fs who got RFEs: List of what you submitted & what got requested?

Old Oct 11th 2003, 2:05 am
Kae
Forum Regular

Kae is an unknown quantity at this point

Our case was approved just 4 days after BCIS received our RFE response. It's not a long wait so long as you gt back to them quickly once you receive your RFE letter in the mail explaining what the reason for the RFE is.
Old Oct 11th 2003, 2:58 am
Overworked and exhausted

Hebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud of
Default Re: N/A

Originally posted by JoshsCarole
Alright guys...Now please explain something to me....In the form instructions for the I-129F, in paragraph 2C it is clearly stated:

'Answer all questions fully and accurately. If any items does not not not apply, please write "N/A" '

(Yes, they do say "not not".)

So now what's that about writing "NONE" for previous spouses if we haven't been married before???? I wrote "N/A", since that's what they SAY to write!!!! Man, if I get a RFE for that, my congressman's gonna hear about it...

That's why I put N/A. I thought, too, that the question doesn't apply to me since I've never been married before. "None" didn't seem right because it asked for names of prior spouses, not if there had been any prior spouses. I wonder how many people who have written N/A as an answer ever meant anything else. They could make our lives easier by including a question about prior marriages, as there is such a question on the I-130.

-Heba
Old Oct 11th 2003, 3:01 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N/A

Originally posted by Hebapotamus42
That's why I put N/A. I thought, too, that the question doesn't apply to me since I've never been married before. "None" didn't seem right because it asked for names of prior spouses, not if there had been any prior spouses. I wonder how many people who have written N/A as an answer ever meant anything else. They could make our lives easier by including a question about prior marriages, as there is such a question on the I-130.

-Heba
I second what Angel said. They are being anal when they RFE for that. They know what you meant, just wielding power over some poor petitioner's life.

Last edited by Leslie; Oct 11th 2003 at 3:33 am.
Old Oct 11th 2003, 3:29 am
Mrtravel

Default Re: 129-Fs who got RFEs: List of what you submitted & what got requested?

Foie Gras wrote:

> I also put in a copy of my translated marriage certificate (both Urdu &
    > English).
    > Now it says that the translations have to be certified..........so I hope
    > the embossed stamps on both copies are good enough for them. As for putting
    > N/A for prior spouses.......I did that too at first........but after reading
    > this forum.......was lucky enough to change it in time before I sent it out.
    >

"Certified" just means the translator has to sign a statment certifying
that the translation is accurate and they are qualified to translate it.
No stamp is required. No formatl qualifications are required.

Old Oct 11th 2003, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

clare47uk is an unknown quantity at this point

We got an RFE asking for further evidence of our relationship. We sent everything we could think of including photocopies of passports and statements from friends saying that they know us as a couple. We also included the booking for a flight we took together.

Fingers crossed it's enough.

Good luck

Clare
Old Oct 11th 2003, 6:21 am
At last in Josh's arms =)

JoshsCarole is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all of you who answered me about that whole "N/A vs none" thing. We'll just wait and see if BCIS asks for an RFE or not... You'll be the first to know anyway... =)

And for all of those out there getting ready to send their I-129F: don't give BCIS this chance to delay your approval even more!!!
Old Oct 11th 2003, 6:38 am
Together at last!

Simon&Vik will become famous soon enoughSimon&Vik will become famous soon enough

So when they RFE for the "n/a" instead of "none" for former spouses, what do you do? Resend a copy of the I-129-F? Send a statement that you haven't had any previous marraiges?

Can I go ahead and send whatever they might want, even though they haven't gotten us far enough in the queu to RFE us?
Old Oct 11th 2003, 1:25 pm
Overworked and exhausted

Hebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Simon&Vik
So when they RFE for the "n/a" instead of "none" for former spouses, what do you do? Resend a copy of the I-129-F? Send a statement that you haven't had any previous marraiges?

Can I go ahead and send whatever they might want, even though they haven't gotten us far enough in the queu to RFE us?
I thought of doing that, but I heard it might just cause even more delays than an RFE. I felt it was a risk not worth taking.

-Heba
Old Oct 12th 2003, 3:41 am
Kae
Forum Regular

Kae is an unknown quantity at this point

We did two things, kinda playing it safe. When they sent the RFE, they sent a photo copy of the page where we mistakenly answered N/A. The question they were unsatisfied with was highlighted. So, we crossed out the N/A, and wrote none in it's place.

Also, we refilled in the ammended I-129f form online and printed it out to send back as well. We also typed out a formal letter briefly explaining we had meant None instead of N/A and so on.

I wouldn't send it before they ask for it though personally. It may cause more harm than good. You may even get an officer looking at your case that doesn't call you on it. Just be ready with your response should you need it. At this point, it's out of your hands and it's just a waiting game.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 4:39 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Dekka's Angel
You forgot just garden variety BCIS stupidity as a cause.

I was RFE'd for a missing divorce decree - which would have bene fine except that was already included in my beautifully assembled Acco fastened K-1 application.

In my case, my approval was 1 week after they acknowledged receiving my RFE response (another copy of the same decree they already had). This was CSC, back in late March. CSC at that time was pretty speedy but there were a couple of cases that went on quite a time.
Hi:

Based upon my experience in the employment based arena, I happen to agree that there are instances of stupidity. Or sometimes, they BCIS will, as matter of policy take a "law be damned" attitude and determine to deny and then try to make up reasons to deny.

[By the way, do you know that under this adminstration, the immigration authorities are extremely anti-reigion, particullarly when it comes to Christianity. Go figure.]

But in the marriage arena, I tend to think that often a matter of the sheer volume of the cases and the officer doesn't see the document and then requests it -- often with the boilerplate option "xxx" off their keyboard.

And even if you did put it in -- sometimes the copy machine screws up. Not too long ago, I had submitted a brief & the required 15 copies to the Circuit Court of Appeals with copy served on the dark forces of the Office of Immigration Litigation. I had proofread the ORIGINAL. But the OIL attorney called me to let me know that pages 12, 13 & 14 in the 25 page brief were missing and could I please fax him those pages? I then had to send another 15 copies of the brief to the court with a letter of apology.

At least I got specific notice of the error. Lets say that happens with a visa petition submission -- you are going to get that RFE to submit what you already put in.

My policy in RFE's is to not fight City Hall and submit what they ask for.

Don't tell me that in your legal writing you don't often become repetitive, redundant and state a proposition more than one in regards to important parts of your case. Appellate briefs often require a brief statement near the beginning of the argument to be made, followed by the argument, followed by a brief conclusion summarizing the arguments.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Folinskyinla

Don't tell me that in your legal writing you don't often become repetitive, redundant and state a proposition more than one in regards to important parts of your case. Appellate briefs often require a brief statement near the beginning of the argument to be made, followed by the argument, followed by a brief conclusion summarizing the arguments.
Of course. As you rightfully state, the default rule of legal writing (which as a writer of poetry and prose since the age of 6 I personally despise), is: tell them what you are going to tell them, tell them, and then tell them what you told them. Theoretically, the size of each of these sections is supposed to compensate for the inherent redundancy (tiny intro, large body, tiny conclusion), but redundant it is When I was in Big Firm Law we used to surmise that this was because the rubber doorstops at the Courthouse were worn out and they needed enough paperweight to prop open the door in summertime I too have also made mistakes in briefs for which amended briefs and apologies have had to be submitted - it's endemic in our profession, when we as laywers often hold on to our work product so long that the administrative end (the copying folks) are up against it just trying to make the filing window, let alone ensure perfection.

But my I-129F package was lovingly prepared over the course of leisurely days and I know the decree was in there - all 15 pages of it. When I got the RFE I remember how I felt at the time seeing the request for a "legible, certified copy" of my first divorce and trying to decide whether BCIS was saying (a) it didn't have it at all, or (b) that it was not legible (impossible given that it was fully typed except for the signatures of the parties, judge and court clerk and was accompanied by a Notice of Entry just to make sure they understood it was final final). In the end, thanks to you actually gently tapping me on the head on the NG and reminding me that the best course was to Not Fight City Hall, I sent another copy of the thing and had my approval a week after BCIS claims they got it (they actually got it 9 days earlier according to USPS, but who's counting?)

Oh well, it's sorted, my Dekkie's here, and life is good
Old Oct 12th 2003, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

mrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Simon&Vik

(reposting due to technical difficulties)

Our understanding is that when an RFE is sent it contains a special envelope, into which the requested information is deposited and returned from whence it came. This allows the mail room to match up the returned RFE with your case, thereby optimising efficiency and decreasing processing time (in an ideal world).

Cheers,

Mr Pink
~and SecretGarden
~~Day 136 NSC

Last edited by mrpink; Oct 12th 2003 at 11:26 am.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 4:29 am
Scottyj

Default Re: 129-Fs who got RFEs: List of what you submitted & what got requested?

Hebapotamus42 <member@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Originally posted by Simon&Vik
    >
    > > So when they RFE for the "n/a" instead of "none" for former spouses,
    > > what do you do? Resend a copy of the I-129-F? Send a statement that
    > > you haven't had any previous marraiges?
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Can I go ahead and send whatever they might want, even though they
    > > haven't gotten us far enough in the queu to RFE us?
    >
    >
    >
    > I thought of doing that, but I heard it might just cause even more
    > delays than an RFE. I felt it was a risk not worth taking.
    >
    >
    >
    > -Heba

Hi,
I got a REF from NSC for the name of my Fiance who is Chinese Malay so
she has 4 names, and if they are not on the right order a ref could be
sent. I only put her first and last name on the petition, and included
a copy of her passport. The BCIS wants to see a copy of her Birth
Certificate so they can see how the names are. The moral of this
story is, if you are sending in copies of your Fiance's Passport,
birth Certificate, whatever, make sure the names match up. Do not send
anything where the names don't match.

Scott

Old Oct 13th 2003, 5:03 am
Overworked and exhausted

Default really, really dumb question

Ok, you can laugh if you want to, but this whole process is making me stupid. I'm still waiting for the RFE to arrive (thanks to Columbus day), but I got this seemingly retarded thought in my mind. I was thinking, when I send back my reply to the RFE, would it do any good to include a letter begging them to process my petition there and then instead of putting in a pile with other RFE's? And has anyone ever heard of someone getting RFE'ed twice? (paranoia taking hold now)

-Heba
Old Oct 13th 2003, 5:11 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: really, really dumb question

Originally posted by Hebapotamus42
Ok, you can laugh if you want to, but this whole process is making me stupid. I'm still waiting for the RFE to arrive (thanks to Columbus day), but I got this seemingly retarded thought in my mind. I was thinking, when I send back my reply to the RFE, would it do any good to include a letter begging them to process my petition there and then instead of putting in a pile with other RFE's? And has anyone ever heard of someone getting RFE'ed twice? (paranoia taking hold now)

-Heba

Heba,

You're making me laugh. I think begging is always a good idea when you really, really, really, want something.

Leslie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.