Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

*Must* I use my CR-1 immigrant visa first time?

*Must* I use my CR-1 immigrant visa first time?

Old Aug 10th 2011, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

potfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default *Must* I use my CR-1 immigrant visa first time?

I am the proud holder of a CR-1 immigrant visa via marriage to a US citizen. It was issued in June and we plan to move over in November (my wife and I currently live in the UK), but my company might require me to travel to the US on business in the meantime.

I believe that I am not permitted to immigrate into the US before my wife, so I am wondering if my business trip could be done as a visit rather than immigration, then we stick to our November plan? (I have visited before and have an ESTA)

The only alternative I can see is that my wife join me on my business trip and we trigger the immigration, but obviously that will cost money we'd prefer to use for other things, as well as having some tax implications due to me becoming a US resident sooner than planned etc.

Refusing to do the business trip is possible but a last resort.

Any advice?
Old Aug 10th 2011, 2:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *Must* I use my CR-1 immigrant visa first time?

Originally Posted by potfish
I believe that I am not permitted to immigrate into the US before my wife...
Correct. Your USC wife must accompany or precede you.

I am wondering if my business trip could be done as a visit rather than immigration, then we stick to our November plan? (I have visited before and have an ESTA)
That's a really good question. My gut reaction is that you'll probably be able to do it since it's obvious (?) you can't use the IV if you enter alone. It might be helpful to have written confirmation of the trip from your employer with a specific date for return and an itinerary for the duration.

Hopefully, others will be along shortly to offer something more.

Ian
Old Aug 10th 2011, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I was in a similar position last year although my proposed work trip wasn't vital. I looked around BE and elsewhere and couldn't find a definitive answer bu the consensus seemed to be it'd probably be at the CBP officer's discretion. In the end I decided not to risk complicating things unnecessarily.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 4:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
I was in a similar position last year although my proposed work trip wasn't vital. I looked around BE and elsewhere and couldn't find a definitive answer bu the consensus seemed to be it'd probably be at the CBP officer's discretion. In the end I decided not to risk complicating things unnecessarily.
Interesting. In the OP's scenario, there's NO way he can immigrate on this trip to the USA, as his USC wife will not be with him. So I guess the two choices the POE officer would have would be 1) Allow entry on the VWP; or 2) refuse entry and send him back home.

Rene
Old Aug 10th 2011, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Interesting. In the OP's scenario, there's NO way he can immigrate on this trip to the USA, as his USC wife will not be with him. So I guess the two choices the POE officer would have would be 1) Allow entry on the VWP; or 2) refuse entry and send him back home.
Sorry, should have clarified that entry under the VWP would be at the officer's discretion. I agree that neither myself nor the OP could have been admitted as an immigrant under this scenario.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the responses. I'm not keen on flying all that way with a greater than normal risk of being turned back, so I'll try calling the premium rate helpline to see if they know. I'll wait and see if I definitely need to make the trip first though.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 5:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the responses. I'm not keen on flying all that way with a greater than normal risk of being turned back, so I'll try calling the premium rate helpline to see if they know. I'll wait and see if I definitely need to make the trip first though.
Even if you call the premium rate helpline, don't take anything they tell you as absolute truth, either. It's just a call center and they may not know the "real" answer. And if you travel based on their advice and get turned away, they are not held responsible.

Rene
Old Aug 10th 2011, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Even if you call the premium rate helpline, don't take anything they tell you as absolute truth, either. It's just a call center and they may not know the "real" answer. And if you travel based on their advice and get turned away, they are not held responsible.

Rene
I can see why rpjs decided not to risk it!
Old Aug 10th 2011, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

You could also e-mail CBP Info (via the ESTA website) and ask whether entry under the VWP is in principle possible in your situation. The same caveats about the possibility of being turned down at the PoE anyway still apply, of course, but it would be cheaper than phoning a premium rate helpline.

They don't respond all that quickly (when I e-mailed with a query I got a response about a week later) but perhaps you have time.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

From the ESTA website:

Do I need to apply for ESTA if...?

I have a visa? No. ESTA is not required for people traveling to the U.S. with a valid visa for the purpose in which it was issued. However, if you have a visa, but are traveling under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) instead of your visa, then you will need to apply for ESTA. For instance, if you have an F1 visa, but are coming to the U.S. for business or pleasure for no more than 90 days, (and are a citizen of a VWP country) then you would be traveling under the VWP, which requires you to apply for ESTA before you travel.
Seems to suggest that I should be able to travel on my ESTA rather than my CR-1. I have emailed them to ask for my specific circumstances and I'll update here if I receive a reply.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

I just received a response:
For your business trip you will need to enter the US under the Visa Waiver Program as a business traveler with the approved ESTA.
Actually, my wife should be travelling with me on this trip now, so I'll take the do-not-open envelope and if there's a problem entering under VWP we'll just immigrate.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

John Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud of

I believe that I am not permitted to immigrate into the US before my wife
Where did you get this information from? CR-1 is not a derivative or accompanying to join category where you have to follow the main beneficiary. I do not see any such requirement in 8 CFR(235.11) or the IFM.

[/QUOTE] so I am wondering if my business trip could be done as a visit rather than immigration, then we stick to our November plan?

Any advice? [/QUOTE]

If you are planning on moving to the U.S. in 3 months or less, why not enter on the CR-1? You can be out of the U.S. on temporary trips as an LPR. CBP looks at your intent for each of these trips. You go back temporarily, you wrap up your affairs, and move to the U.S. That does not sound like an LPR abandonment issue to me.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 7:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John Manley
CR-1 is not a derivative or accompanying to join category where you have to follow the main beneficiary. I do not see any such requirement in 8 CFR(235.11) or the IFM.
Is this not an I-864 requirement - that the sponsor must be resident in the US when the I-864 comes into effect?

Ian
Old Aug 18th 2011, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

John Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud of

OP is discussing his first entry after the immigrant visa interview, not the I-864. The I-864 requires the Petitioner to be domiciled (or re-estabish her domicile) in the U.S. Given that the I-864 has been submitted and approved already and the CR-1 issued, the U.S. citizen petitioner has satisfied this requirement already.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Is this not an I-864 requirement - that the sponsor must be resident in the US when the I-864 comes into effect?

Ian
Old Aug 18th 2011, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by John Manley
OP is discussing his first entry after the immigrant visa interview, not the I-864. The I-864 requires the Petitioner to be domiciled (or re-estabish her domicile) in the U.S. Given that the I-864 has been submitted and approved already and the CR-1 issued, the U.S. citizen petitioner has satisfied this requirement already.
Interesting. This is the first time I'm hearing this. Up until now, it's always been said around here that the Immigrant cannot enter the USA ahead of the USC spouse. They either need to enter the USA at the same time, or the USC needs to enter the USA ahead of the Immigrant.

The I-864 has been "accepted" and the Immigrant Visa has been issued....but the I-864 won't come into effect until the Immigrant enters the USA, right? And at THAT moment, the USC needs to be resident in the USA, isn't that correct? If the USC spouse is still overseas, then they aren't resident in the USA....they only established "intent" to be domiciled in the USA.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.