Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

You won't like it when it gets cold!...

You won't like it when it gets cold!...

Old Aug 22nd 2008, 6:33 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You won't like it when it gets cold!...

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Wus!!!
Were you walking about outside around 6pm last night? It was pouring with rain and blowing a hooley!!!

I'd been in an air-conditioned, temperature-controlled downtown office with no windows since 7.30 am, so it was a bit of a shock to the system, only wearing a T-shirt.

Hi Butch!
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 6:37 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Were you walking about outside around 6pm last night? It was pouring with rain and blowing a hooley!!!

I'd been in an air-conditioned, temperature-controlled downtown office with no windows since 7.30 am, so it was a bit of a shock to the system, only wearing a T-shirt.
Hi Butch!
Yes I was.

I was wearing a summer shirt
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 6:43 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
So was I, and it was distinctly unpleasant, hence the coat, which improved things considerably!
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Well!! Calgary weather!!!

Monday was 34 degrees .... yesterday I bought a new ski jacket on the way home ..... AND WORE IT!!!
May I enquire where you bought it from?
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 8:50 am
little snowy owl

Originally Posted by Ramsey
May I enquire where you bought it from?
Sure! Actually it was an absolute bargain, in The Bay downtown, in the Olympics section. It was originally priced at $195, then marked down to $58!

Bargain! I thought, and that was before I got to the till and found there was a further 40% discount both on the ladies and the gents coats ... so final price was $35!! So I got one for hubby too

They are for the 2010 Olympics, and have the little logo on the left chest and Vancouver 2010 down the sleeve near the cuff.

They are really light-weight, claim to be wind-proof and water resistant. There's plenty of room for a fleece etc underneath for the colder weather, but they're light enough for the cooler days even now. So shut up Butch Cassidy! ... and they really don't look like you've just come off the slopes!

Only two colours: the guys' are blue and gals' are errmmmm... taupe.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 8:58 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I am well aware otf the conditions.

I was outside up a step ladder removing leaves and crap from the eaves trough and down spout on the garage. :curse::curse::curse:
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

Well, by 6pm yesterday I had the heating on, by 8pm the fire was also on and I had a big jumper on! Maybe I won't like it when it gets cold after all

Mental note: be positive, at least it won't be grey and wet
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 10:15 am
little snowy owl

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Yes I am well aware otf the conditions.

I was outside up a step ladder removing leaves and crap from the eaves trough and down spout on the garage. :curse::curse::curse:
Well more fool you!......, why didn't you wait until today when the weather is much kinder!
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Yes I was.

Reminds me of my Army days.

"It takes skill to be comfortable, any idiot can be wet, cold and hungry"
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Sure! Actually it was an absolute bargain, in The Bay downtown, in the Olympics section. It was originally priced at $195, then marked down to $58!

Bargain! I thought, and that was before I got to the till and found there was a further 40% discount both on the ladies and the gents coats ... so final price was $35!! So I got one for hubby too

They are for the 2010 Olympics, and have the little logo on the left chest and Vancouver 2010 down the sleeve near the cuff.

They are really light-weight, claim to be wind-proof and water resistant. There's plenty of room for a fleece etc underneath for the colder weather, but they're light enough for the cooler days even now. So shut up Butch Cassidy! ... and they really don't look like you've just come off the slopes!

Only two colours: the guys' are blue and gals' are errmmmm... taupe.

If only I had read that earlier, I would have bought a couple myself. Here's hoping there are some available on Monday !!
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 11:32 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Well more fool you!......, why didn't you wait until today when the weather is much kinder!
But the water was pouring all over the place last night.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:49 pm
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

And yet half the people at my office are complaining about the cold in November.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the hardy one.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

leith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond repute

Instead of simply hearing other people's opinions on Canadian weather, I suggest that potential immigrants get some facts by going to Environment Canada's climate information site at www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca then clicking on Climate Normals and Averages in the menu at the left. You can then type in the province and town or city you want data on. Environment Canada has weather stations all across the country and you can get data going back decades for many of their sites.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 8:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leith
Instead of simply hearing other people's opinions on Canadian weather, I suggest that potential immigrants get some facts by going to Environment Canada's climate information site at www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca then clicking on Climate Normals and Averages in the menu at the left. You can then type in the province and town or city you want data on. Environment Canada has weather stations all across the country and you can get data going back decades for many of their sites.
Which is, I think, no help at all. If you haven't tried various conditions you can't imagine them.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 1:04 am
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

Another point is the wearing of appropriate clothing for the conditions

if its -20 and youre wearing the right gear youre gonna feel warmer than if its +5 and youre just wearing a t-shirt !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.