British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   You Suck..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/you-suck-436847/)

Alberta_Rose Mar 24th 2007 12:29 pm

Re: You Suck.....

Originally Posted by Rob_999 (Post 4552318)
Not heard that one over here - had to look it up! Ginch :rofl: Nice!

I was just wondering which of the ten definitions HWP was referring to?? :blink:

macadian Mar 24th 2007 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by jempee (Post 4557012)
I like the 'suck it up princess' :thumbup:

Or "pull on your big boy shorts and suck it up":thumbsup:

OnlineCB Mar 24th 2007 11:48 pm

On one of our first trips to Newfoundland we stepped off the plane to be greeted by "Some day fer clothes bye" My OH had no idea what had been said to him - it was priceless.

Here in Wiltshire it took me ages to get used to hearing "Hi ya, alright?" I kept wondering if I looked ill.

stepnek Mar 25th 2007 1:39 am

I've always found how Canadians add an 's' to the end of "anyway" kind of cute. "So anyways". When I first met my wife she always said it that way but she leaves off the 's' now. On the other hand my youngest daughter now adds it.

Alberta_Rose Mar 25th 2007 4:10 pm

I can't get over all the "Robin-the Boy-Wonder" exclamations. I mean like Holy Smoke/s!, Holy COW!, or even just Ho-LEEE!!! when the occasion is sufficiently astounding.

I can't believe folks really use those expressions without laughing! Was Robin Canadian??? :rofl:

As for "Suck" ..... my elder lad was on holiday in Scotland the summer before we came here, and was wearing (for some reason best known to himself) an Edmonton Oilers Hockey shirt.

As he looked down from some castle parapet he was hailed from below ..... "Flames Rule! Oilers SUCK!!" .... followed by ".... and I'm only saying that now cos you're way up there and I'm way down here, and you look a lot bigger than me!!" :rofl:

printer Mar 25th 2007 9:35 pm

I was in a hotel lobby when we were over in January and a guy came down and stood by the desk, the girl said "can i help you sir" and he looked up and just said "just wanted to let you know the TV remote in my room sucks"
to which she replied "no problem sir i'll get someone to take a look"

It got me thinking that if you came out with the same comment in the UK it would be considered quite rude and the receptionist would probably tell you where to stick it. :D

steve666 Mar 26th 2007 12:38 am

Originally Posted by printer (Post 4561949)
I was in a hotel lobby when we were over in January and a guy came down and stood by the desk, the girl said "can i help you sir" and he looked up and just said "just wanted to let you know the TV remote in my room sucks"
to which she replied "no problem sir i'll get someone to take a look"

If I'd have been her I would have asked him to be quiet as everyone would want one:rofl:

printer Mar 26th 2007 12:53 am

Originally Posted by steve666 (Post 4562476)
If I'd have been her I would have asked him to be quiet as everyone would want one:rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mountain Girl Mar 26th 2007 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Rob_999 (Post 4552154)
... eg Calgary you SUCK! love it. :D

What's your favourite Canadian saying / words??

Just to give you a "heads up" on the situation.

Now thats a phrase I dont remember hearing in the UK. Is it a sporting term?

jood Mar 26th 2007 3:41 am

"Your qualifications and experience are exactly what we're looking for - when can you start?" is an all-time fave I'm still waiting to hear.....;)