Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Are you new to Canada?

Are you new to Canada?

Old Jan 4th 2015, 3:07 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you new to Canada?

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
You have to pay for your account and get no privilages with it - just how many transactions you are allowed
You have to pay to take out your money from a different banks ATM - doesnt happen in the UK - they are all under 'Link' so its free which ever ATM you take it out of
You have to pay $40 for a cheque book (that is what TD quoted me luckily my landlady now accepts online transfer otherwise I would have been annoyed)
Online banking better in the UK - don't have to pay $1.50 to transfer money between accounts.

That is what is wrong with the banking system in Canada
see if the following helps you?

http://www.nofeebanking.ca/forum/

Banking Service Fees

Our Son 'the poor sod that lives week to week' banks with PC Bank

http://www.banking.pcfinancial.ca/mk...en&signinop=OB

President's Choice Financial | Online Banking | That's just Good Banking

Free daily banking with no monthly fee.
Free access at any PC Financial or CIBC bank machine.
Free unlimited cheques.

PC® points toward free groceries2 and more.
Open FeaturesFree unlimited Interac® Debit and Interac® Flash purchases, transfers between accounts, bill payments and withdrawals at any PC Financial or CIBC bank machine.
Free mobile banking.
Interac e-TransfersTM.
Earn interest on every dollar in your account.
View cheque images for free via online or mobile banking.
PC points for setting up jump toDirect Payroll Deposit.
24/7 customer support.
Free Account Switch Service at our pavilions to help you get started.
Optional jump tooverdraft protection to help give you peace of mindClose Features..

Last edited by not2old; Jan 4th 2015 at 3:19 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 3:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

You have to pay for your account and get no privilages with it - just how many transactions you are allowed
You have to pay to take out your money from a different banks ATM - doesnt happen in the UK - they are all under 'Link' so its free which ever ATM you take it out of
You have to pay $40 for a cheque book (that is what TD quoted me luckily my landlady now accepts online transfer otherwise I would have been annoyed)
Online banking better in the UK - don't have to pay $1.50 to transfer money between accounts.

That is what is wrong with the banking system in Canada
Every bank offers different packages and what is included. I get free cheques with my account, 250 at a time, I've only had to order once though....

Sounds like you may have a basic account since doesn't appear much is included in your's.

Don't mind those saying they don't pay for their accounts, they have high incomes and can maintain a balance, normal working folks generally can't maintain the idiotically high balance needed to waive the fee.

As for the OP, it's mostly food I miss, Mexican specifically, not obtainable in BC regardless of what the locals may point out, it's not the same, and very Canadianised, and not the same at all. Can't even find most of the ingredients needed to make at home.

I miss theme parks, and quality zoo as well, we have neither in BC. Just crappy amusement park at the PNE and a crappy zoo out in Aldergrove.

Oh and the sun, I miss the sun. Get about 1,000 hours on average less sun per year in Vancouver vs San Diego. Oh and the rain, I do like rain, but it's a little much in BC at times....lol

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 4th 2015 at 3:45 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Only minor annoyances really:

Being mistaken for an Australian
Being mistaken for a Frenchwoman

Receiving kindly-meant advice on "life in Canada" after being here 18+ years.
A couple or few incidences of hostility regarding immigrants "taking Canadians' jobs".

Racism. I live way out of the big cities, & there's a lot of it, combined with ignorance. A few years ago I got caught up in a nasty incident involving very racist comments, attitude, actions when I was looking after my Inuit friend's children in a playground. Locals took them for Chinese. I was flabbergasted at the comments etc.. It was not a nice experience .
Old Jan 4th 2015, 3:39 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
I don't pay for cheque books

Well lucky you!!!!

I still stand by my original statement - TD want $40 for a chequebook

Fee banking is already in the UK but you get certain privileges (travel insurance, no transaction fees abroad when you take money out of ATM)

Do canadian bank accounts do this.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 3:41 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Every bank offers different packages and what is included. I get free cheques with my account, 250 at a time, I've only had to order once though....

Sounds like you may have a basic account since doesn't appear much is included in your's.
It's free until March then it's $15 a month for so many transactions.
I'll change at that point as it's not worth it.

I still prefer banking in the UK and nothing will change that for me. Sorry but people here have to accept that people will have certain issues with another country and that is mine.

People do talk about PC bank a lot . Good to know you can use CIBC machines for free. I may bear that in mind so thanks

Last edited by beckiwoo; Jan 4th 2015 at 3:44 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

It's free until March then it's $15 a month for so many transactions.
I'll change at that point as it's not worth it.

I still prefer banking in the UK and nothing will change that for me. Sorry but people here have to accept that people will have certain issues with another country and that is mine.

People do talk about PC bank a lot . Good to know you can use CIBC machines for free. I may bear that in mind so thanks
I pay either 10.95 or 11.95 at RBC currently, and its unlimited transactions. Don't get much else, but for 14.95 a month you get more benefits such as free cheques, may also include some other banks ATM's as well.

PC isn't bad as long as you don't make a lot of cheque or cash deposits, when I tried them they held everything for 7+ business day's, so wasn't worth it.

Not sure if you can open an account since credit union rules are different, but Coast Capital offers a free basic account with no monthly fee and no limit on transactions.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 3:53 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Only minor annoyances really:

Being mistaken for an Australian
Being mistaken for a Frenchwoman

Receiving kindly-meant advice on "life in Canada" after being here 18+ years.
A couple or few incidences of hostility regarding immigrants "taking Canadians' jobs".

Racism. I live way out of the big cities, & there's a lot of it, combined with ignorance. A few years ago I got caught up in a nasty incident involving very racist comments, attitude, actions when I was looking after my Inuit friend's children in a playground. Locals took them for Chinese. I was flabbergasted at the comments etc.. It was not a nice experience .

back on track

from that link in my OP is post#20 a reply on it

Re: Whats the worst thing for you about being a migrant.

worst? too many bloody australian lol

nah, things that really bugged me in the first few years just seem normal now

i think the cost to travel back to my country of birth, yeh thats about it.

It used to be
having to repeat myself all the time, but I have got round that by just ignoring anyone who says what?
they had their chance the first time I said it lol
if they persist I change the topic. totally baffles people and makes me laugh

oh no! i just remembered

being told to go back to where i came from. a few people have felt my wrath after saying that. the little glasgow lad comes out of me when I hear that it only happens when you have beaten someone verbally
Old Jan 4th 2015, 3:54 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Don't mind those saying they don't pay for their accounts, they have high incomes and can maintain a balance, normal working folks generally can't maintain the idiotically high balance needed to waive the fee.
I know right, it's something stupid like $5,000 a month sometimes. Would what you have in your savings account count towards that balance or is that they need to see that amount entering your account monthly?

The UK have a few premium accounts where you need to have £2000 entering your account each month. There are usually some privileges with those but as £2000 would not be going into my account each month I never looked at them. I did however get free European travel insurance on one of my accounts as I put away £750 a month - that was useful for a few trips
Old Jan 4th 2015, 3:58 pm
Dichotomus tinker

I know right, it's something stupid like $5,000 a month sometimes. Would what you have in your savings account count towards that balance or is that they need to see that amount entering your account monthly?

The UK have a few premium accounts where you need to have £2000 entering your account each month. There are usually some privileges with those but as £2000 would not be going into my account each month I never looked at them. I did however get free European travel insurance on one of my accounts as I put away £750 a month - that was useful for a few trips
on this point alone, you are beginning IMO to sound like a whinging POM

Get over it & stop comparing back home & to find a bank that meets your needs

PC Financial No Fee Bank Account | President's Choice Financial
Old Jan 4th 2015, 4:02 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by not2old
on this point alone, you are beginning IMO to sound like a whinging POM

Get over it & stop comparing back home & to find a bank that meets your needs

PC Financial No Fee Bank Account | President's Choice Financial
Jeez someone got out of their bed on the wrong side. Wish I could take back that karma I gave you for the information about PC bank

ill wait until you start moaning about stuff In the UK then I'll tell you to 'get over it'
Old Jan 4th 2015, 4:06 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Having to say "Tomaido" its still alien to my tongue
Old Jan 4th 2015, 4:07 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Jeez someone got out of their bed on the wrong side. Wish I could take back that karma I gave you for the information about PC bank

ill wait until you start moaning about stuff In the UK then I'll tell you to 'get over it'
just pointing back to what you posted going on a bit too much IMO

look at your points on banking above, you do sound off like a new immigrant

If the banking system for you is that bad in Canada, then you know your options, otherwise keep on whinging about TD service charges ... move on & do what you have to do to fix the one simple seemingly such a big issue for you at the moment
Old Jan 4th 2015, 4:07 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

nah, things that really bugged me in the first few years just seem normal now

oh no! i just remembered

being told to go back to where i came from. a few people have felt my wrath after saying that. the little glasgow lad comes out of me when I hear that it only happens when you have beaten someone verbally
What things first bugged you all those years ago?
Old Jan 4th 2015, 4:11 pm
Bex in the city

just pointing back to what you posted going on a bit too much IMO

look at your points on banking above, you do sound off like a new immigrant

If the banking system for you is that bad in Canada, then you know your options, otherwise keep on whinging about TD service charges ... move on & do what you have to do to fix the one simple seemingly such a big issue for you at the moment
Hang I thought this post was entitled 'are you new to canada'???

The answer is yes so why are you having ago at me when this is what the thread is about?

You have to get an award for the most obnoxious person on this forum I have encounter so far and there have been a few contenders. Maybe they should nominate you for this in the BE forum awards - you would get my vote hands down lol

Last edited by beckiwoo; Jan 4th 2015 at 4:13 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 4:16 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the thread name is an oxymoron ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.