Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

You know how when you google something ......

You know how when you google something ......

Old Sep 27th 2018, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default You know how when you google something ......

and later ads for that "something" later appear on sites that you use, including this one??

On Monday, a friend was raving about a place in Tenerife where they were staying. It sounded so wonderful (quiet, private, out in the country, etc) that I googled it.

The ad appeared on here later that day ......... room rates from $189 USD

On Tuesday the rate was from $187 USD

On Wednesday, from $183 USD

Today ........ it's from $153 USD

Do you think they are getting desperate for my custom?!
Old Sep 27th 2018, 8:38 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know how when you google something ......

I always get the 'young single girls in Kamloops waiting to meet me' ads on the side! That was until I installed ublock origin. Now I have lots of free white space.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I use ad blocker when on pc but see ads on the phone always ads for banks and cars. Currently seeing ad ad for Coastal Ford Vancouver, previous page was TD Bank.

The one thing that gets me is Amazon. Ill buy something and then they spam me with emails about the same exact item. Um hello I already bought it.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 9:10 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The Adblock Plus add-on for Firefox goes in before BE. Everything that can tracks you... I bought a bottle of wine at the liquor store in Oliver using a credit card and when I got home 15 minutes later had an ad for it on my computer. If you don't want Google tracking you use https://duckduckgo.com/.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 10:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
and later ads for that "something" later appear on sites that you use, including this one??
You don't use an adblocker?
Do you think they are getting desperate for my custom?!
Tell them you're Canadian, they may want you even more.

Originally Posted by Danny B
I always get the 'young single girls in Kamloops waiting to meet me' ads on the side! That was until I installed ublock origin. Now I have lots of free white space.
I find ublock origin particularly useful for closing advertising tabs that open when you don't want them to - saves having to stop and close them.
I don't get white spaces, though, and maybe that's because adblock plus takes care of those.

Originally Posted by caretaker
The Adblock Plus add-on for Firefox goes in before BE.
I bought a bottle of wine at the liquor store in Oliver using a credit card and when I got home 15 minutes later had an ad for it on my computer.
You didn't see the guy in the trench-coat following you?
Old Sep 27th 2018, 10:08 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Look in the address bar - do you see a small circle with an exclamation point in it? Click on that - from there, you should see a dropdown that has 'Permissions' and a cog wheel. Click the cogwheel. A new tab should open with various preferences (for Firefox anyway)

Select the tracking protection and enable it
Then go down to 'locations' - and disable it
Old Sep 27th 2018, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Some websites especially media are not letting users access news articles or the site without paying $$ or disabling ad blockers.

Seems most popular with the media.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 11:29 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Some websites especially media are not letting users access news articles or the site without paying $$ or disabling ad blockers. Seems most popular with the media.
When Washington Post demanded money I just deleted them from my bookmarks, it wasn't that good. They report the news, they don't own it. I'll sometimes disable the blocker, and some sites have a button to keep watching even though the blocker is still on.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 11:51 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

The Adblock Plus add-on for Firefox goes in before BE. Everything that can tracks you... I bought a bottle of wine at the liquor store in Oliver using a credit card and when I got home 15 minutes later had an ad for it on my computer. If you don't want Google tracking you use https://duckduckgo.com/.
Using the search engine of your choice look for "Privacy Badger". Bolt that on together with Adblock Plus, life will be somewhat calmer.

Life on a PC that is, can't speak for other platforms.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

When Washington Post demanded money I just deleted them from my bookmarks, it wasn't that good. They report the news, they don't own it. I'll sometimes disable the blocker, and some sites have a button to keep watching even though the blocker is still on.

I wont pay but I do unblock sometimes if the article is interesting and not an Associated Press article. I find some media sites now blocked or unblocked will only give you X amount of articles a month without paying, clearing cookies seems to work with getting more articles, but not always.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 12:09 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Using the search engine of your choice look for "Privacy Badger". Bolt that on together with Adblock Plus, life will be somewhat calmer. Life on a PC that is, can't speak for other platforms.
A friend just made me a boot disc and thumb drive for the newest version of the Tails os, he said only about a month old. If you really want to get under the radar... I haven't tried it yet but he showed me a bit when I picked it up. He said not to try to cross the border with it.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 1:35 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know that you can read as many articles as you like in incognito mode (Chrome browser)?
Old Sep 28th 2018, 12:08 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Some websites especially media are not letting users access news articles or the site without paying $$ or disabling ad blockers..
If such an article comes up as a search result, I just check the other results. Of course, other sources may not be as reliable. I have disabled occasionally but the funny thing is that once you get the access you can re-enable and carry on. I don't mean just on the same page, but on the same site.

It's like taking your shoes off to get in the front door but putting them back on again before wandering throughout the house.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 12:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
If such an article comes up as a search result, I just check the other results. Of course, other sources may not be as reliable. I have disabled occasionally but the funny thing is that once you get the access you can re-enable and carry on. I don't mean just on the same page, but on the same site.

It's like taking your shoes off to get in the front door but putting them back on again before wandering throughout the house.

I usually try the cached version - available for most website
Old Sep 28th 2018, 3:50 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I usually try the cached version - available for most website
I've never actually tried that in these circumstances. I've done it when nothing comes up on the usual bit.

I'll try to remember that possibility next time, thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.