Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Are you immune to flu?

Are you immune to flu?

Old Oct 28th 2017, 6:25 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you immune to flu?

Originally Posted by Oink
As if that's a bad thing. Getting the flu is pretty spot on, it's now. You get a couple off days off work, you're woozy and you get drugs. Where's the downside?
Your other half has bugger all sympathy and still makes you do stuff
Old Oct 28th 2017, 6:26 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Your other half has bugger all sympathy and still makes you do stuff
Fair enough. Doing stuff sucks eggs.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 6:30 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Naive here but what exactly is the difference between a bad cold and the flu? I’m recovering from a bad cold which had me off work with a fever and lots of sneezing... but when is it flu?
This demonstrates it well

And this

And, maybe this

Thankfully you are spared this terrible far worse version

Last edited by Stinkypup; Oct 28th 2017 at 6:36 am.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 6:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

If you are an immunologist I will step aside and defer to the one with expertise.

As an aside I often have to do likewise according to the punters when Drs Oz, Phil and Google are brought into their misguided ramblings
Not an immunologist just a COPD sufferer who got the flu in early Oct before the flu shots were available.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 6:44 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
Not an immunologist just a COPD sufferer who got the flu in early Oct before the flu shots were available.

Put the fags down and stop being a cad.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 6:44 am
I need a walk

Well you are though one step in front of thousands if you have a GP in Kamloops...we are often being asked to take on rellys of patients who live there. Shocking lack of doctors there
Old Oct 28th 2017, 6:48 am
I need a walk

Well at least you arent like all the other buggers who refuse to have the flu shot ' because it gave them the flu 10 years ago'. .
Old Oct 28th 2017, 6:51 am

Well at least you arent like all the other buggers who refuse to have the flu shot ' because it gave them the flu 10 years ago'. .
Maybe they just don't like things stuck up their bottom?

If you want older people to get a flu shot maybe you should offer incentives? What about a 10,00 Maniacs CD or free entry into the next RV convention?

Last edited by Oink; Oct 28th 2017 at 6:55 am.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 6:57 am
I need a walk

Maybe they just don't like things stuck up their bottom?
If that's how you get your flu shot then I would contact the medical authorities.. Does he stick a thermometer up your bum when he gets your temperature? As in ...
Attached Thumbnails Are you immune to flu?-image.jpeg  
Old Oct 28th 2017, 7:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

As an aside I often have to do likewise according to the punters when Drs Oz, Phil and Google are brought into their misguided ramblings
Dr () Phil makes me feel violent. Just the sound of his voice makes me want to punch the TV.

So, last year the boyfriend was moaning about having a cold. "Honey, would you make me soup?" "Sweetie, I need a cup of tea", "I'm not going to work today - going to stay in bed all day". A few days later I woke up feeling like I was going to die. Turns out he actually did have the flu and the bastard gave it to me!

Oh, and Bristol, I get my flu shot free at work every year, so yup I'm immune.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 7:43 am

If that's how you get your flu shot then I would contact the medical authorities.. Does he stick a thermometer up your bum when he gets your temperature? As in ...
I think the term "authority" is a bit up your self innit?
Old Oct 28th 2017, 8:28 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Naive here but what exactly is the difference between a bad cold and the flu? I’m recovering from a bad cold which had me off work with a fever and lots of sneezing... but when is it flu?
Flu comes on very suddenly - in a few hours (unlike a cold, where you can feel it coming on for a couple of days); aching, very lethargic and sleepy, possibly a headache and a fever. You could also have an upset stomach, Then the cough. (I was feeling absolutely fine when working at 7pm but by 10pm I felt so ill that I had to cancel the rest of my work and go to bed.)

As if that's a bad thing. Getting the flu is pretty spot on, it's now. You get a couple of days off work, you're woozy and you get drugs. Where's the downside?
If only. I was so ill in 2015 that I couldn't get out of bed for the first week - I lost 11lb in 7 days, I had zero appetite, fever, very upset stomach (for 4 days) and drifted in and out of sleep complete with fever dreams that lasted for hours.

Once the cough started, I struggled to breath and had to sit up the whole time - I had pain in my ribs and lungs at the slightest cough - the cough lasted for 7 weeks. I was so weak after the first week that I could barely get out of bed let alone do anything, nothing tasted right, I had to force myself to eat even half a bowl of soup or a yoghurt - and I couldn't stand the smell or taste of coffee. The lethargy and tiredness (exhaustion) lasted another month and my brain felt addled to the point where I couldn't watch tv or read a book..

I couldn't work for 6 weeks.

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 28th 2017 at 3:25 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 10:27 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

If you want older people to get a flu shot maybe you should offer incentives.
Choose the right clinic and you get coffee and cookies as well as being touched by a nurse... you could go just for the cookies.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 10:44 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I've had flu twice in my life, and on both occasions ended up in hospital, the last time was 16 years ago and my family thought I was going to kick the bucket, I felt so entirely dreadful I would have welcomed it...it was nothing like a cold...I was also lots younger and very healthy.

Thank you Bristol, this thread has galvanized me...I'm going to get a flu shot!
Old Oct 28th 2017, 11:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

There is no mistaking flu for a bad cold. I have only had flu once...we were about 1 hour away from home when I started to feel unwell. By the time I got home I could barely get out of the car and crawl upstairs to bed...where I stayed for over a week. Spent the following 2 weeks on the sofa. Flu comes on rapidly and is dry...no sneezing, sniffles, congestion, runny nose. Your whole body aches so bad...especially the joints. You probably have a fever and may have a cough...you feel extremely weak. You just want to sleep to get some relief. Took me several weeks before I felt like myself again.

Over night last Friday my daughter had flu like symptoms which came on very quickly...but the first symptom was a sore throat. Monday morning she went to the doctor who diagnose strep throat. She had no sleep or food from Sat morning until Thursday...then the antibiotics started to kick in.

I had the flu shot last week. I have had the pneumonia shot PCV23...had the PCV13 shot 4 years ago. Still managed to get pneumonia twice.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 28th 2017 at 11:05 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.