Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Are you going to get the H1N1 vaccination?

View Poll Results: Are you going to get the H1N1 vaccination?
Yes
38.04%
No
47.83%
Undecided
18.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Are you going to get the H1N1 vaccination?

Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:03 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you going to get the H1N1 vaccination?

Originally Posted by dollface
I thought Darwin "used" the phrase "survival of the fittest"?
Yes, but he didn't mean it in that way. Evolution says that any trait that gives you a better chance at producing offspring will eventually 'win'. In nature this may be the fittest, but sometimes it's just down to female preference.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:04 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I see it so often at work. Why do people believe the media rather than informed medical advice?
See it in all walks of life.

I'm sad to report my eldest son is one of the non-believers and refuses to get the shot.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:05 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
Stats would be provided if you read the paper in which the trial has been published.
True, but that isn't always available to the general public; and even if it was most people wouldn't read it anyway.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:08 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yes, but he didn't mean it in that way. Evolution says that any trait that gives you a better chance at producing offspring will eventually 'win'. In nature this may be the fittest, but sometimes it's just down to female preference.
I agree.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:10 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

True, but that isn't always available to the general public; and even if it was most people wouldn't read it anyway.
Can be found by Joe Public if he/she were remotely interested. Doesn't exactly make a riviting read unless you're specifically interested in the subject matter - or you're my husband
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Even if it was they might not read it properly. Just because something is peer reviewed doesn't make it correct. The whole MMR fiasco stemed from a peer reviewed paper. You have to know how to read the paper, to analyse it and look for any possible errors in the study design, for conflict of interest, etc etc.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:18 pm

Even if it was they might not read it properly. Just because something is peer reviewed doesn't make it correct. The whole MMR fiasco stemed from a peer reviewed paper. You have to know how to read the paper, to analyse it and look for any possible errors in the study design, for conflict of interest, etc etc.
I agree completely. And that's why people don't believe experts too. We all know that people will agree with things that match their own perceptions and views; everyone does it. It's very hard to be objective.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree completely. And that's why people don't believe experts too. We all know that people will agree with things that match their own perceptions and views; everyone does it. It's very hard to be objective.
We're doomed then.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 1:04 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

There's an interesting article in today's Grauniad which I think you'd enjoy...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...n-significance

I should add (for self credibility protection) that such criteria are not part of what I do.