Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

WW1 CanadianTrophyProject

WW1 CanadianTrophyProject

Old Jul 12th 2019, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Warwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to behold
Default WW1 CanadianTrophyProject

We arrived in Canada (Saskatoon, SK) in April and in a bid to help settle and make some new friends, a British veteran, I’ve joined the local branch of the Royal Canadian Legion where I’ve been made to feel very welcome.
Housed outside the legion, I noticed a German mortar from the First World War, in dire need of TLC, so I suggested putting together a team to restore it, so it can be saved for future generations.
After the #FirstWorldWar the Canadian army brought back captured weapons as trophies. There were so many of them it was decided they should be distributed all over #Canada; you may have spotted one at sometime, they’re usually displayed outside local municipal buildings. This particular piece, a German light trench mortar or Minenwerfer in still in fairly good condition but needed to be preserved, so the aim is to fully restore it and proudly display it at the Saskatoon Museum of Military Artifacts (SMMA) located is beneath the #RoyalCanadianLegion 362 branch in Nutana, #Saskatoon. Not much is known about the museum, but it’s fascinating, it’s jam packed with artefacts, many of which have been donated by local veterans and their families.
If it’s okay, I’ll post updates now and then in the hope you’ll find it interesting. You can find some video footage about the project on Instagram with the hashtag #CanadianTrophyProject

They even had a catalogue about these trophies

Meet the team, I’m on the left with the dog

Minenwerfer, a German light trench mortar
Old Jul 12th 2019, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WW1 CanadianTrophyProject

Good drills....however, don't be too disappointed if you don't get much in the way of positive vibes on this board.....
Old Jul 13th 2019, 4:39 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WW1 CanadianTrophyProject

There are bits and pieces in small museums all over, and some real concentrations like the artillery museum at CFB Shilo, but occasionally you see something where you don't expect it. About 40 years ago I was walking around Vancouver, and in front of the old sailor's home there was an odd piece of metal something, I thought maybe a lantern of some sort. I read the plaque and it was a German naval mine from WW1.