Would you?

Old Dec 19th 2016, 5:03 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Would you?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I have the intake appointment in the morning. It was delayed due to being ill a couple weeks ago, didn't think it wise to go in with a fever and all around sick.

My wife has been going to the office a bit, they did help her with gas to get to an interview as well as some new clothes for a part-time job she got.

...and pleased to read that MrsJsmth321 has some work too.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 1:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I...didn't think it wise to go in with a fever and all around sick...
I have a little devil on one shoulder egging me on while the angel on my other shoulder is telling me to resist.

So here's a compromise picture of Pigpen instead. Taste has triumphed.

Old Dec 19th 2016, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

...and pleased to read that MrsJsmth321 has some work too.
She has more valuable work experience/skills, and a more outgoing social personality which helps.

I on the other hand, have a very introverted non-social personality that hurts me at interviews, hard to be social when it's not naturally something you are.

I went to the meeting today, signed up for the workshops they offer, decided to do them all in January instead of spreading them out, gives me something to do next month.

He said if no job within 3-6 months, there might be short term training options, short term being under 6 months in length.

Time will tell, one of the biggest hurdles to long term employment is lack of skills, the things I can do, and experience I have pretty much anyone who has ever worked has, so I don't stand out, and I don't know how to network which hurts, but then I don't know anyone either other then my wife, so how does one network when they don't know anyone, and struggle to even make a friend? lol

As they say it's not what you know but who you know, but when you don't know anyone, it complicates things...lol...After all the good jobs are not really advertised.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 6:56 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

She has more valuable work experience/skills, and a more outgoing social personality which helps.

I on the other hand, have a very introverted non-social personality that hurts me at interviews, hard to be social when it's not naturally something you are.

I went to the meeting today, signed up for the workshops they offer, decided to do them all in January instead of spreading them out, gives me something to do next month.

He said if no job within 3-6 months, there might be short term training options, short term being under 6 months in length.

Time will tell, one of the biggest hurdles to long term employment is lack of skills, the things I can do, and experience I have pretty much anyone who has ever worked has, so I don't stand out, and I don't know how to network which hurts, but then I don't know anyone either other then my wife, so how does one network when they don't know anyone, and struggle to even make a friend? lol

As they say it's not what you know but who you know, but when you don't know anyone, it complicates things...lol...After all the good jobs are not really advertised.
Do you drive? A driving job is ideal for introverts, I'm not talking long distance semi truck drivers, but a small van delivery driver.

One of my favourite jobs when I was younger was driving a Ford Transit all over the south east of the UK, only got out 2-3 times per day and hardly spoke to a soul in between.

Just a thought.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 6:58 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

[As they say it's not what you know but who you know, but when you don't know anyone, it complicates things...lol...After all the good jobs are not really advertised.]

A lot are advertised, but "in house" for a set period of time before they're advertised publicly. This is common in a lot of companies as well as hospitals. There's a "job board" in the hall or lunchroom or right in HR. My hotel porter job came because a waitress in the bar told me there was a job posting on the in house job board and they wanted someone right away so they took my application.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 7:11 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I still think that Snoop's dog walking idea is ace with you, you love dogs, you are compassionate, it gets you out and about and meeting new faces and gets you exercise which is great for physical and mental health... and looks like it pays pretty well. Win win I would say!
Old Dec 19th 2016, 7:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
[As they say it's not what you know but who you know, but when you don't know anyone, it complicates things...lol...After all the good jobs are not really advertised.]

A lot are advertised, but "in house" for a set period of time before they're advertised publicly. This is common in a lot of companies as well as hospitals. There's a "job board" in the hall or lunchroom or right in HR. My hotel porter job came because a waitress in the bar told me there was a job posting on the in house job board and they wanted someone right away so they took my application.
That is how the airline did it as well, 2 weeks posted in house then open to public. Was rare to hire off the street though at my airport.

The zoo did that as well back when I worked for them, everything posted in house for a week or 2 to try and fill with an existing employee.

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I still think that Snoop's dog walking idea is ace with you, you love dogs, you are compassionate, it gets you out and about and meeting new faces and gets you exercise which is great for physical and mental health... and looks like it pays pretty well. Win win I would say!
We do have some ads up in pet store, as well as facebook and craigslist at times.

Originally Posted by Danny B
Do you drive? A driving job is ideal for introverts, I'm not talking long distance semi truck drivers, but a small van delivery driver.

One of my favourite jobs when I was younger was driving a Ford Transit all over the south east of the UK, only got out 2-3 times per day and hardly spoke to a soul in between.

Just a thought.
I do apply to some local delivery type jobs. I have a clean driving record, but no actual experience driving as a job.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 19th 2016 at 7:16 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 7:29 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

We do have some ads up in pet store, as well as facebook and craigslist at times.
Keep them up there on line- great idea pets shops, maybe ask at Vet clinics if you can put a little card on their notice board, local corner stores likewise , sometimes supermarkets have notice boards. Once you get a good reputation then things would take off. Its local, you can pick your hours... Maybe we will need to think up a good name for you....
Old Dec 19th 2016, 8:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...when I was younger was driving a Ford Transit...and hardly spoke to a soul...
Other than "give us a flash doll"

I'm assuming it was a white van?
Old Dec 19th 2016, 8:49 pm
Account Closed

Things would be so much better if they (powers that be) just made training programs affordable and within reach of people without the need for loans (don't qualify for) or staying unemployed for months trying to find alternative funding.

Lots of job postings for things that require some minimal training, but getting that training when poor is near impossible, who has 5-7,000 just laying around for a 6 month training course?
Old Dec 19th 2016, 10:14 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Other than "give us a flash doll"

I'm assuming it was a white van?
Yes it was a white diesel transit. This is me caught on camera back in the 90's.

Old Dec 19th 2016, 10:32 pm
Oscar nominated

...This is me caught on camera back in the 90's...
You even share the D
Old Feb 1st 2017, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

2nd meeting at the job place today, got a few resources like a gas card, and a thumb drive, as well as some aptitude tests to take and return.

My wife found a better job then the one she had that was mentioned earlier in the post, and is on her way to another interview today.