Is it worth it?

Old Aug 6th 2009, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

davylynne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it worth it?

OK all you girls on here. Im right at the starting post of this moving to Canada thing. To be honest its as scary as hell. I love BC and have been there many times. I have a cousin there and some other friends too. I always feel at home when I am there and have harboured a dream of living there for some years. I have finally decided to do something concrete about it. But now Ive done the reading and seen the actual process... well....Tell me ladies....... is it worth it ?
Old Aug 6th 2009, 1:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth it?

Mens opinions dont count then?
Old Aug 6th 2009, 2:00 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davylynne
OK all you girls on here. Im right at the starting post of this moving to Canada thing. To be honest its as scary as hell. I love BC and have been there many times. I have a cousin there and some other friends too. I always feel at home when I am there and have harboured a dream of living there for some years. I have finally decided to do something concrete about it. But now Ive done the reading and seen the actual process... well....Tell me ladies....... is it worth it ?
I'm comming from the Alberta side of life - we wished we'd done it years ago! Theoretically we weren't together years ago so couldn't have done it sooner but I'm sure you get my point! It wasn't a life long dream for us it was more of experiencing something new, if you embark on the adventure with an open mind and a willingness to try then your bound to succeed - hey give it a go - if it's not for you try another Province before returning to your roots!
Old Aug 6th 2009, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

No

edit, well no, its not that clear cut. Depends what you want to have and are prepared to give up to get it

Last edited by fledermaus; Aug 6th 2009 at 2:10 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 2:06 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Originally Posted by fledermaus
No
I thought as much

Oh...not worth it
Old Aug 6th 2009, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought as much

Oh...not worth it
I see your confusion. Men's opinions do count I suppose. MOH is very happy here. I have good and bad days, always will but now the bad days arent often enough to want to go back.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, men's opinions do count, but women's wants are different from men's I find
Old Aug 6th 2009, 2:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Sorry, men's opinions do count, but women's wants are different from men's I find
Have you been talking to my wife
Old Aug 6th 2009, 2:27 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Cake and shoes

football and sex
Old Aug 6th 2009, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

My point exactlly
Old Aug 6th 2009, 3:24 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what you are after in the move.

Our experience:

Financially we spent over $40,000 dollars getting setup in the first 4 months.

We went back to having a 25 years mortgage term rather than the 12 years left from the UK.

We lost some long-term good friends and fell out of contact with others.

We lost the close contact of our families and we (me in particular) went from good jobs to chasing borderline survival posts.

My confidence was shattered and I got thoroughly depressed and suffered from recurring homesickness.

On the plus side:

We've cut our mortgage term here down to 15 years in the last 2 years due to the Canadian banking flexibility.

We've opened up many savings accounts and are back on our feet financially.

We both have better jobs than at the start and more importantly have made contacts that should allow us to move about when ready to do so.

We've made some great new friends and acquaintances and have got involved in diverse activities - sports, clubs etc.

Our families have come around to the idea that we're here now and have all visited over the last few years.

I feel better most days and the homesickness is improving though I still feel it now and then. I actually caught myself liking living here as opposed to back home the other day - wtf?

It's all personal choice and experience I suppose but good luck with it anyway.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

hitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nice

they never do mate!
Old Aug 6th 2009, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Mad mac. I have 2 kids that are both married and live 160 miles away from me now. It doesnt sound like much but I dont see them often at all. In fact It would be easier to get on a plane than it is to drive here I guess as my daughter doesnt drive. They are my only family really.
We are financially OK as my mum died recently and left me her house and we both have good jobs so really my life here isnt too bad. But I still have this desire to move to BC due to how it feels when I am there. Although that doesnt mean it will still feel like that if I move there. I really dont know what to do. I think we will give it a try and leave the rest to fate. If we get in then I guess it was meant to be ?
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:32 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been here for an extended time in the winter?
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:36 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brownstar
Cake and shoes

football and sex
It's not cake, it CHOCOLATE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.