Winter 2017-18

Old Jan 31st 2018, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter 2017-18

Originally Posted by Moses2013
How to measure snowfall is always a difficult subject. Naturally an airport will also have less snow if you have to keep a runway clear and I doubt they actually really make an effort to measure the area with most lying snow. Measuring rain is obviously a lot easier as you can use a rain gauge.
Here in this area most 'official' weather stations are at airports. Gatineau airport is often much colder earlier on a clear winter morning than Ottawa airport and it is due to soils, proximity to the river and nearby woods.

I think snow depth is measured with sticks placed in the ground but snow accumulation is done with gauges similar to a rain gauge.

In most places the actual snow on the ground would be hard pressed at any one time to more than 30% of annual snowfall. eg. Ottawa today the maximum snow on the ground was 75 cm and our average snowfall is 235 cm I think.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 2:25 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

How to measure snowfall is always a difficult subject. Naturally an airport will also have less snow if you have to keep a runway clear and I doubt they actually really make an effort to measure the area with most lying snow. Measuring rain is obviously a lot easier as you can use a rain gauge.
You think they send a guy out on the runway with a ruler? Whether it's an airport or not, snowfall is measured in the same way. From EC: "At Environment Canada, snow is measured by automated observing stations which register the snowfall and snow-on-ground amounts, using an acoustic snow sensor (SR-50). The automated sites report snowfall amounts hourly in centimetres.

At staffed stations, the snow amount or the depth of accumulated snow-on-ground is measured using a snow ruler or a ruler calibrated to centimetres. The measurements are made at several points which appear representative of the immediate area, and then averaged. Snow is normally measured in "centimetres"."

So they'll measure it at an airport in a place where they are not continually plowing it away.

In my area, elevation is key to snowfall. So what the airport reports will be different to downtown & out where I live. Hell, I get more snow than my M-i-L who lives on the same street 2km away and 100m lower!
Old Jan 31st 2018, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
You think they send a guy out on the runway with a ruler? Whether it's an airport or not, snowfall is measured in the same way. From EC: "At Environment Canada, snow is measured by automated observing stations which register the snowfall and snow-on-ground amounts, using an acoustic snow sensor (SR-50). The automated sites report snowfall amounts hourly in centimetres.

At staffed stations, the snow amount or the depth of accumulated snow-on-ground is measured using a snow ruler or a ruler calibrated to centimetres. The measurements are made at several points which appear representative of the immediate area, and then averaged. Snow is normally measured in "centimetres"."

So they'll measure it at an airport in a place where they are not continually plowing it away.

In my area, elevation is key to snowfall. So what the airport reports will be different to downtown & out where I live. Hell, I get more snow than my M-i-L who lives on the same street 2km away and 100m lower!
Exactly, it's not reliable:
At Environment Canada, snow is measured by automated observing stations which register the snowfall and snow-on-ground amounts, using an acoustic snow sensor (SR-50). The automated sites report snowfall amounts hourly in centimetres.
At staffed stations, the snow amount or the depth of accumulated snow-on-ground is measured using a snow ruler or a ruler calibrated to centimetres. The measurements are made at several points which appear representative of the immediate area, and then averaged. Snow is normally measured in "centimetres".
Also note that snowfall amounts are not measured at a number of Environment Canada and partner’s stations as the automated equipment is not capable of this measurement.

So the questions is if it's staffed or not and even actually officially measured.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 3:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, it's not reliable:
At Environment Canada, snow is measured by automated observing stations which register the snowfall and snow-on-ground amounts, using an acoustic snow sensor (SR-50). The automated sites report snowfall amounts hourly in centimetres.
At staffed stations, the snow amount or the depth of accumulated snow-on-ground is measured using a snow ruler or a ruler calibrated to centimetres. The measurements are made at several points which appear representative of the immediate area, and then averaged. Snow is normally measured in "centimetres".
Also note that snowfall amounts are not measured at a number of Environment Canada and partner’s stations as the automated equipment is not capable of this measurement.

So the questions is if it's staffed or not and even actually officially measured.
I'm disappointed that they don't get the equipment from America, have it measure in inches, and then convert the results to centimetres.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 4:18 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Where are you getting that from? I did look on Env Canada but couldn't obviously find that data.
Then click on the link I posted. It's all there.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

And in Vancouver the airport tends to be warmer, get less snow, and less rain vs the other areas, and of course the airport isn't in Vancouver, but Richmond.

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Here in this area most 'official' weather stations are at airports. Gatineau airport is often much colder earlier on a clear winter morning than Ottawa airport and it is due to soils, proximity to the river and nearby woods.

I think snow depth is measured with sticks placed in the ground but snow accumulation is done with gauges similar to a rain gauge.

In most places the actual snow on the ground would be hard pressed at any one time to more than 30% of annual snowfall. eg. Ottawa today the maximum snow on the ground was 75 cm and our average snowfall is 235 cm I think.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 6:26 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Holy shit!! -42c in Northern Ontario

https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comm...stern_ontario/
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 6:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Holy shit!! -42c in Northern Ontario
Good job it wasn't especially windy. Wind chill took it 'only' to -49.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 8:36 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

There once was a boy from Quebec
Who was buried in snow to his neck
When asked "Are you friz?"
He replied "Yes, I is,
But we don't call this cold in Quebec."
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
We rent a snow shelter for our driveway. The guys come and put it up and then come back a few months later to take it away.

This time, the guys were putting mine up and watching our neighbour try to put his own up. He was struggling. They took pity, strolled across the road and had his up in about ten minutes.
I couldn't visualise this so I looked it up. According to someone on Reddit it is known as a 'Gatineau garage'.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

OMFG how will they survive
Snow has blanketed parts of Britain as forecasters predict an icy blast will send temperatures plummeting to -4 degrees Celcius overnight.

This comes as The Met Office warned that sub-zero temperatures next week could bring major travel disruptions to Scotland, Northern Ireland and parts of the south.

In the coming days forecasters are saying a prolonged cold spell is imminent. Those in the north and south should expect to see the coldest temperatures so far this winter.

I wish our weather was plummeting to minus 4C then Id be out in a t shirt and light jacket

For the record it currently minus 27C but feels like minus 40C but we are expecting it to be sunny today. Oh and there is the Extreme Cold warning In Effect which basically means don't try licking any lampposts or metal poles today.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 12:46 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

It's good to hustle out there and plug the van in at 4 in the morning, invigorating, gets the blood going.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
It's good to hustle out there and plug the van in at 4 in the morning, invigorating, gets the blood going.
Plus if you have a dog you are killing 2 birds with one stone so to speak. Plus don't wear mitts/gloves and then crawl back into bed and share the experience with the wife/husband/partner or drunken unknown person in your bed
Old Feb 4th 2018, 1:31 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Plus if you have a dog you are killing 2 birds with one stone so to speak. Plus don't wear mitts/gloves and then crawl back into bed and share the experience with the wife/husband/partner or drunken unknown person in your bed
40 years ago on the section gang, I got a call from my foreman after midnight to come out and fix a broken rail north of town. It was freezing cold but I was assured the job wouldn't take the whole 3 hour call because a notoriously motivational foreman would be in attendance. About 2 1/2 hours later I returned to my lodgings in the rooming house where my girlfriend was sleeping peacefully..... I was so cold my feet were like blocks of ice, and I thought, "You know, she doesn't really appreciate what I go through sometimes.." Don't know what got into me, but I removed my boots and skidoo suit in the hall, unlocked the door, undressed quickly and crept into bed without waking her, then I doubled up and put the soles of both feet on the small of her back. Wow, I didn't anticipate her reaction at all! She recoiled and screamed blue murder, for quite a while. I'm lucky the old lady upstairs didn't call the cops, and maybe lucky the GF didn't beat my brains in, she was really mad.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 10:27 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
After walking the dogs in the morning, my husband does enjoy putting his freezing cold hands on my toasty warm bum, I don't enjoy it half as much

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.